Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whats the best way to cut acrylic tubing

So recently i bought the Bits Power Pre-bent 90 Degree Acrylic tubes and a pipe cutter and im constantly cracking my tubes, no matter how slow or fast i go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Janrojo said:

So recently i bought the Bits Power Pre-bent 90 Degree Acrylic tubes and a pipe cutter and im constantly cracking my tubes, no matter how slow or fast i go.

use a fine tooth hacksaw and clean up the edges with a razor blade or file

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, TylerDurden! said:

use a fine tooth hacksaw and clean up the edges with a razor blade or file

how about sand paper and if yes what grit do i get?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Janrojo said:

what grit do i get?

something like 400 should be fine.  or just grab a sheet of 4 6 and 800.  If you really have some rough edges grab something around 200

get the wet/dry stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pipe cutter should get your through it just fine... You have to be really slow with it

Then grab a reamer from Home Depot for $5-10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Janrojo said:

So recently i bought the Bits Power Pre-bent 90 Degree Acrylic tubes and a pipe cutter and im constantly cracking my tubes, no matter how slow or fast i go.

 

9 hours ago, brdy said:

Pipe cutter should get your through it just fine... You have to be really slow with it

Then grab a reamer from Home Depot for $5-10

You cannot use a pipe cutter on acrylic only on PETG based tubing since acrylic is much more brittle material that will shatter. As said a hack saw and sand paper will do, just remember to chamfer the outside edge and also deburr the interior to prevent plastic chips from getting into the path of the water flow. 

Edited by W-L
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, W-L said:

 

You cannot use a pipe cutter on acrylic only on PETG based tubing since acrylic is much more brittle material that will shatter. As said a hack saw and sand paper will do, just remember to chamfer the outside edge and also deburr the interior to prevent plastic chips from getting into the path of the water flow. 

what about table saw with a Carbide-Tipped Blade 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Janrojo said:

what about table saw with a Carbide-Tipped Blade 

If you have a sled for the table saw it can work, you will need to control the feed rate and judge what is appropriate. Another option if you have available is a miter saw. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×