Gpu upgrade from r9 290

SnowFootprints

I have a sapphire r9 290, runs good and does what I need to now. But I want to get a 34" ultrawide and I don't know if it will be able to push that. Plus the heat output is super high. What should I be looking for that isn't a side grade but a definite upgrade. 

Sapphire-Vapor-X-R9-290-full.jpg

I'd say at least a 5600XT or 2060 for it to be worthwhile, with 5700XT and 2070S offering quite large improvements. (went from a 290 to a 2070 myself and it was quite the upgrade)

That being said, with Nvidia Ampere (most likely) coming in September, you might be better off waiting and upgrading then.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, blairtech said:

I have a sapphire r9 290, runs good and does what I need to now. But I want to get a 34" ultrawide and I don't know if it will be able to push that. Plus the heat output is super high. What should I be looking for that isn't a side grade but a definite upgrade. 

Sapphire-Vapor-X-R9-290-full.jpg

I'd say a 5600xt or 1660ti 

Rx  5700 xt. Possibly the best value GPU out there - besides the RX 570, but that's not the same performance bracket

Just now, Mateyyy said:

I'd say at least a 5600XT or 2060 for it to be worthwhile, while a 5700XT or 2070S would be a great improvement.

That being said, with Nvidia Ampere (most likely) coming in September, you might be better off waiting and upgrading then.

I don't want to be a fan boy but I like the idea of a all amd pc (ryzen 5 2600), can the 5700xt do the 3440x1440 at good fps. I don't mind just 60 but I would like it over that so it doesn't go below. 

1 minute ago, blairtech said:

I don't want to be a fan boy but I like the idea of a all amd pc (ryzen 5 2600), can the 5700xt do the 3440x1440 at good fps. I don't mind just 60 but I would like it over that so it doesn't go below. 

Yeah it should be up for it, it's a very solid GPU. Granted you'll have to turn some settings down in more intensive titles but still.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah it should be up for it, it's a very solid GPU. Granted you'll have to turn some settings down in more intensive titles but still.

Im getting the monitor before the gpu and I'm kinda excited to see how my old card holds up on that monitor in today's titles. But it looks like I'm going to get that one. 

8 minutes ago, blairtech said:

Im getting the monitor before the gpu and I'm kinda excited to see how my old card holds up on that monitor in today's titles. But it looks like I'm going to get that one. 

Nice. Well, if you can still manage to get decent performance with the 290 at that resolution, then waiting until early Autumn would definitely be a good choice imo. 

Also, you can expect AMD's RDNA2 to also come out soon (successor to RDNA, which the RX 5000 series cards are based on), considering both Nvidia's new cards coming out and the fact that the next-gen consoles will feature very similar GPU architectures to RDNA2.

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Nice. Well, if you can still manage to get decent performance with the 290 at that resolution, then waiting until early Autumn would definitely be a good choice imo. 

Also, you can expect AMD's RDNA2 to also come out soon (successor to RDNA, which the RX 5000 series cards are based on), considering both Nvidia's new cards coming out and the fact that the next-gen consoles will feature very similar GPU architectures to RDNA2.

I should be able to get 60 on high so I'll probably wait then. Thanks for the help