Trouble with monitor?

So... I'm on the process of finishing my first build and... I have issues.

It's not a gaming rig, it's for a modest server that I will be monitoring from a dashboard on my laptop. That's why I'm not spending big on a good screen.

Components

- MSI B450M-A Pro Max

- AMD Ryzen 3200G w/ Wraith cooler

- Crucial 8GB RAM 2666Mhz 

- SSD Crucial MX500 M.2

- A shitty Tacens case

- An old Benq monitor that only has VGA and DVI-D

- Cheap usb mouse and keyboard

After discovering that the 3200G APU is not compatible with VGA and DVI-D i bought a VGA-HDMI adapter to see if I could get to see the screen... and... I have only managed to see the screen a few times for a short period of time. The motherboard starter screen has appeared briefly a couple times. I've seen the BIOS once for about 30s and it seemed that all hardware was recognised and running properly but then the screen disappeared.

I also had a Debian distribution on a USB drive and saw the boot screen once and managed to start the booting process but at around 30s the screen went black again.

Is it possible that it is anything other than the monitor? I really don't want to spend money on a monitor that I will use only a couple times a year.

21 minutes ago, donalddump said:

So... I'm on the process of finishing my first build and... I have issues.

It's not a gaming rig, it's for a modest server that I will be monitoring from a dashboard on my laptop. That's why I'm not spending big on a good screen.

Components

- MSI B450M-A Pro Max

- AMD Ryzen 3200G w/ Wraith cooler

- Crucial 8GB RAM 2666Mhz 

- SSD Crucial MX500 M.2

- A shitty Tacens case

- An old Benq monitor that only has VGA and DVI-D

- Cheap usb mouse and keyboard

After discovering that the 3200G APU is not compatible with VGA and DVI-D i bought a VGA-HDMI adapter to see if I could get to see the screen... and... I have only managed to see the screen a few times for a short period of time. The motherboard starter screen has appeared briefly a couple times. I've seen the BIOS once for about 30s and it seemed that all hardware was recognised and running properly but then the screen disappeared.

I also had a Debian distribution on a USB drive and saw the boot screen once and managed to start the booting process but at around 30s the screen went black again.

Is it possible that it is anything other than the monitor? I really don't want to spend money on a monitor that I will use only a couple times a year.

I’ve had this same sort of problem with a dual link dviD monitor using an old intel system that should be capable and did not have the 3200g compatibility problem.  I had the best luck with dvi-DP NOT useful luck mind you.  Just less bad.  I wound up using a spare even older monitor that had hdmi on it. You may be able to find a used junk business panel that has hdmi. So near free might still be possible.  I’ve no thrown out the dual link dviD panel mostly out of sheer cussedness.  The thing is 30” 144hz @ wuxga

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

the adapter could be faulty

plug the pc into something else to check if it really is the monitor

31 minutes ago, skannerz22 said:

the adapter could be faulty

plug the pc into something else to check if it really is the monitor

I don't have any hdmi cables laying around so I would need to buy a new one. But I guess it's that or a new monitor.

One thing I just noticed is that if I unplug the hdmi cable from the computer and plug it again I get 1s of screen time more or less.