Laptop Nas in raid

Go to solution Solved by HD1 star wars,
5 hours ago, madautotech said:

So I'm special and just realised unraid is actual the os .. so if I'm right unraid with a hba card I can install mismatched drive to get my trial up and running and slowly add in better drives over time . As for data transfer is I remove an older drive to install a better one how would I do that . And also what do y'all think about using a amd fx CPU that I have laying around instead of the i5 laptop ?

Depends if that is a fx laptop cpu

So forgive me in new to the server world . I have a Hp elitebook with i5 CPU. Want to set it up as a home nas in a regular PC case. I have the case figured out most of the power. What I don't know the WiFi card adaptor to install a raid card for multiple drives. I know boot drive can go in orginal place probably use a 80 to 120 gb drive for that  the second drive can be adapted to the old cd drive location. Mostly need help on the correct adaptor  and possible modified bios not sure yet. This thing will be super janky but just want to do it. I will  later upgrade to a more lagit unit  if I enjoy it enough. Oh I also already purchased Plex for it any other server software I would need for purchase or free. Pictures are the mother board I'm using and the case .

IMG_20200525_210122269.jpg

IMG_20200525_210106949.jpg

IMG_20200525_212739589.jpg

IMG_20200525_212759970.jpg

IMG_20200525_212754741.jpg

3 minutes ago, madautotech said:

What I don't know the WiFi card adaptor to install a raid card

Do you want a raid card or hba? Normally a hba with software raid is a better bet.

But here you go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laptop-Mini-PCI-E-to-Desktop-1X-Riser-Ribbon-Cable-for-External-GPU-Card-EXP-GDC/174215511003?hash=item28900dbbdb:g:MwgAAOSwKlxeS4pA

That mxm slot would work better, but I can't find any adapters for it. Id just take the gpu out if using it for a nas. Save some power.

And here i a hba to add more drives https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-D2607-A21-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-LSI-9211-8i-FW-P20-IT-Mode-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-US/143326429412?hash=item215eebc0e4:g:yngAAOSwyHxcX~iA

38 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you want a raid card or hba? Normally a hba with software raid is a better bet.

But here you go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laptop-Mini-PCI-E-to-Desktop-1X-Riser-Ribbon-Cable-for-External-GPU-Card-EXP-GDC/174215511003?hash=item28900dbbdb:g:MwgAAOSwKlxeS4pA

That mxm slot would work better, but I can't find any adapters for it. Id just take the gpu out if using it for a nas. Save some power.

And here i a hba to add more drives https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-D2607-A21-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-LSI-9211-8i-FW-P20-IT-Mode-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-US/143326429412?hash=item215eebc0e4:g:yngAAOSwyHxcX~iA

Thank you and sorry is this sounds noob. So biscaly remove the WiFi plug in first adaptor to plug in the hba. Correct? And for this board idk if it has onboard graphic with out the GPU . Sorry if it a dumb question trying out new things I don't know to expand .

Would this work with the hba card and would I need any software to run raid.

Screenshot_20200525-222509.png

14 minutes ago, madautotech said:

Thank you and sorry is this sounds noob. So biscaly remove the WiFi plug in first adaptor to plug in the hba. Correct? And for this board idk if it has onboard graphic with out the GPU . Sorry if it a dumb question trying out new things I don't know to expand .

Yep just remove wifi and it should work. Some boards are dumb and do things like whitelisted pcie devices, so you hope that isn't the case here.

8 minutes ago, madautotech said:

Would this work with the hba card and would I need any software to run raid.

that should work fine. What os do youplan on using?

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

so you hope that isn't the case here.

given it is an HP that is older very like they have done it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep just remove wifi and it should work. Some boards are dumb and do things like whitelisted pcie devices, so you hope that isn't the case here.

Right now not to sure  starting to look in to os  Linux server  but I would like to stay with windows .  I'm a little rusty on Linux . What your suggestion

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Ok so plan on using window 10 pro because I have and unused key for it and purchase unraid . And I did some reading and think I will take your advice and use a hba card for the build. Hopefully I won't need to flash it or anything but we shall see. Thank you and other for the help in this new adventure and I will post pictures when I get it all together .

So I'm special and just realised unraid is actual the os .. so if I'm right unraid with a hba card I can install mismatched drive to get my trial up and running and slowly add in better drives over time . As for data transfer is I remove an older drive to install a better one how would I do that . And also what do y'all think about using a amd fx CPU that I have laying around instead of the i5 laptop ?

5 hours ago, madautotech said:

Depends if that is a fx laptop cpu