My parts list... first time builder!

Budget (including currency): $1,500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: GTA5, RDD2, Warzone, Revit, AutoCAD, SketchUp, Photoshop, etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey guys,

This is my first time building, and first really doing anything like this. I grew up around computers all my life though, via my dad's job in IT. I'd like to think I have a good general knowledge of the components, what they do, what makes a good one "good" or "bad", etc. I've spent alot time over the past month or so educating and researching all that I can about building so I can feel more confident about doing this. I've found that the more I push myself to learn about this, the easier it feels to do.

With that being said, I'm feeling good about my choices for my build and was hoping I could get a bit of feedback on the parts I've chosen. I plan on using it for school and gaming. I'm in school for architecture, so I'll be using alot of design and drafting applications, like Revit, AutoCAD, SketchUP, Photoshop, etc. As far as peripherals go, I've already purchased a LG 4K monitor, Magicforce 2 wireless keyboard, and Logitech MX Master 3. For the monitor, refresh rates and FPS are not a big deal to me, so I don't need any advice on that front.

Any other advice or feedback is highly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by johnatucci

I'd recommend something like this instead...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ Amazon) Pretty great cpu for it's price. It also comes with a pretty great stock cooler.
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Best Buy) Pretty great board with onboard wifi.
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($82.99 @ Newegg) 3600mhz cl16 kit.
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($132.99 @ Amazon) Phison e12 drive.
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 2070 Super > 2060 Super
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.98 @ Newegg) Another great case from fractal.
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($85.98 @ Newegg) Currently the prices of power supplies are all over the place. Still recommended one which I felt was decent.
UPS: CyberPower CP1350AVRLCD UPS  ($144.94 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1526.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-25 00:24 EDT-0400

Also, windows key can be had for a few bucks from sites like eBay, kinguin, scdkeys, etc. Wouldn't really recommend paying $150 for it.

Also, the build that you have posted above will cost you something around $1800 because of missing prices of GPU and PSU.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

And the 2060 is propably enough, don't you think?

-dont send the extra money on a ups, get a a power strip and spend the saved money on a psu

-same goes for the aio, get a cheaper aircooler and put that money to a better gpu

-dont buy an actual copy of windows 10 for full price, buy an oem key off ebay for $10  and the put money to more whatever you want

-please dont waste your money on a 2070super and get a 5700xt, the 5700xt is the same i not more performance in most games and $100 cheaper

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 minutes ago, V.K.Videsh said:

Actually ,  I think that the parts that he chose(except the motherboard) are pretty good. You @johnatuccican change your ssd choice to something a little bit faster:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Force-MP600-Gen4-PCIe/dp/B07SQZYW2V/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=corsair+ssd&qid=1590381149&s=electronics&sr=1-1

the op wont notice a difference in the ssd speed, no reason to spend more money.

2 minutes ago, V.K.Videsh said:

And the 2060 is propably enough, don't you think?

2060 is pretty, eh, entry level rtx card.

AMD blackout rig

11 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ Amazon) Pretty great cpu for it's price. It also comes with a pretty great stock cooler.
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Best Buy) Pretty great board with onboard wifi.
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($82.99 @ Newegg) 3600mhz cl16 kit.
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($132.99 @ Amazon) Phison e12 drive.
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 2070 Super > 2060 Super
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.98 @ Newegg) Another great case from fractal.
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($85.98 @ Newegg) Currently the prices of power supplies are all over the place. Still recommended one which I felt was decent.

Also, windows key can be had for a few bucks from sites like eBay, kinguin, scdkeys, etc. Wouldn't really recommend paying $150 for it.

Also, the build that you have posted above will cost you something around $1800 because of missing prices of GPU and PSU.

Oh, that's really great info on the Windows key. I never knew about Kinguin or SCDKeys. good looks

1 minute ago, scuff gang said:

the op wont notice a difference in the ssd speed, no reason to spend more money.

2060 is pretty, eh, entry level rtx card.

you think it's an entry level card!? aw man.... my wallet can only take so much!.... lol

3 minutes ago, johnatucci said:

you think it's an entry level card!? aw man.... my wallet can only take so much!.... lol

I have included a 2070 super in this build.

16 minutes ago, VEXICUS said:

PCPartPicker Part List

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

1 minute ago, johnatucci said:

its an entry level rtx card, about mid tier in general

dont buy a 2060 or 2070, get an rx 5700xt it has the same performance as a 2070 super at about a hundred less.

and im with you, its hard keeping up with upgrading or rebuilding to current gen hardware

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, VEXICUS said:

I have included a 2070 super in this build.

rtx 2070 is a waste of money, the rx 5700xt has parellel, sligthly below, or slightly higher fps, it depends on the game and comes in at around $100 cheaper

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, scuff gang said:

dont buy a 2060 or 2070, get an rx 5700xt it has the same performance as a 2070 super at about a hundred less.

and im with you, its hard keeping up with upgrading or rebuilding to current gen hardware

ooo.... what if I already pulled the trigger on some of these parts.... like the graphics card... lol. Is the 2060 super really that "entry level"? I was onboard with the 5700xt for a while, but I got spooked by the constant comments about how tricky AMD GPUs are to deal with, compatibility and support wise.

but what do I know... you think the 2060 Super will be ok?

1 minute ago, johnatucci said:

ooo.... what if I already pulled the trigger on some of these parts.... like the graphics card... lol. Is the 2060 super really that "entry level"? I was onboard with the 5700xt for a while, but I got spooked by the constant comments about how tricky AMD GPUs are to deal with, compatibility and support wise.

but what do I know... you think the 2060 Super will be ok?

the 2060 is an entry level RTX card, in general its a mid tier card, it will run whatever AAA game you throw at it pretty well.

AMD blackout rig

9 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Wait for ampere....

Edit- tagged wrong guy sorry..

Edited by VEXICUS

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

1 minute ago, VEXICUS said:

Wait for ampere....

you think its still gonna release in fall? 

i highly doubt that considering the circumstances.

AMD blackout rig

I'd love to wait til Fall to build, but I fell like no matter when you decide to build, it's the wrong time. or something is just around the corner of being released, etc.... I'm also not waiting that long to finish this build lol

3 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

also, yeah, the 'rona is making parts super scarce as it is. I think we're gonna see some delays in the release of upcoming components, although Intel didn't seem to run into any issues with the release of their 10th gen cpus... but also idk anything

7 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

What are your thoughts on thermal compound btw? Can I use Conductonaut with my cpu/aoi setup? will that destroy the materials? 

Or should I just go with AS5?