Coolermaster Masterbox lite 5 mod to fix airflow

xant14

So a couple of years ago I bought a Masterbox lite 5 for my old pc build (i5 7500, gtx 1060 3gb) which even on hot summer days there was little problem cooling it. On December I upgraded my build but not my case because my budget was hard capped at 1000 euros so I kept it along with my hard drives. With my new rig (r7 3700x, rx 5700xt) the temps with the front panel on are hell especially now that summer aproaches and here in greece we are already having temps around 35C (95 F) so I am looking to mod the case cause i don't have money right now to buy a new on. Is it possible to drill through the front panel for better airflow on the front and on a later time would it be a good idea to drill on the top to add a couple more fans?

P.S For the time being I take the front panel on and of while gaming or doing other resource hungry work but it is kinda anoying cause it's hard to take it off and put it back in with the placing of my rig.

36 minutes ago, xant14 said:

So a couple of years ago I bought a Masterbox lite 5 for my old pc build (i5 7500, gtx 1060 3gb) which even on hot summer days there was little problem cooling it. On December I upgraded my build but not my case because my budget was hard capped at 1000 euros so I kept it along with my hard drives. With my new rig (r7 3700x, rx 5700xt) the temps with the front panel on are hell especially now that summer aproaches and here in greece we are already having temps around 35C (95 F) so I am looking to mod the case cause i don't have money right now to buy a new on. Is it possible to drill through the front panel for better airflow on the front and on a later time would it be a good idea to drill on the top to add a couple more fans?

P.S For the time being I take the front panel on and of while gaming or doing other resource hungry work but it is kinda anoying cause it's hard to take it off and put it back in with the placing of my rig.

ya i would defiantly put fans on the top. the problem is the all the air come from the front and only at the bottom as far as i can tell. don't no if you want but if you dont see the left side might be able to cut slots on the side of the front to get more air in there. is there a front filter? if so get rid if it. another thing is once fans are in the top revers your back fan to pull air in. might be janky but might be able to add a fan to the unused pci slots if you got space.

no what i would try first is add a fan to the pci slot if you can and put air in and revers your back fan to pull air in as well and turn your cpu fan around to push air to the front and turn your front fans around to go out the front. might work?

don't no what you got for cooling so just guessing. unless you like the front fans aka might be rgb. i don't no if ascetics is important.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

51 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i would defiantly put fans on the top. the problem is the all the air come from the front and only at the bottom as far as i can tell. don't no if you want but if you dont see the left side might be able to cut slots on the side of the front to get more air in there. is there a front filter? if so get rid if it. another thing is once fans are in the top revers your back fan to pull air in. might be janky but might be able to add a fan to the unused pci slots if you got space.

no what i would try first is add a fan to the pci slot if you can and put air in and revers your back fan to pull air in as well and turn your cpu fan around to push air to the front and turn your front fans around to go out the front. might work?

don't no what you got for cooling so just guessing. unless you like the front fans aka might be rgb. i don't no if ascetics is important.

I think what I might end up doing is to use a dremel for the plastic front panel and install a filter to prevent dust from pilling up and when i actually have the time to spare cut the top and install 2 140mm fans as exhaust and use the other fans as intake. Also i am on stock ryzen cooler due to budget constraints.

4 minutes ago, xant14 said:

I think what I might end up doing is to use a dremel for the plastic front panel and install a filter to prevent dust from pilling up and when i actually have the time to spare cut the top and install 2 140mm fans as exhaust and use the other fans as intake. Also i am on stock ryzen cooler due to budget constraints.

filters reduce the air flow to a point were it probably wont make a difference

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

14 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

filters reduce the air flow to a point were it probably wont make a difference

I may not use a filter I may use mesh or something just to cover the holes i open and static pressure fans