eGPU support on this machine?

Radium_Angel

So it occurs to me (at least from what I have read and understand, which might be all wrong) that my HP Pavilion Wave 600 (https://support.hp.com/au-en/product/hp-pavilion-wave-600-a000-desktop-pc-series/12079672/document/c05333324/) Has USB 3.0 Type C, which is one of the requirements for an eGPU enclosure?

Correct me if I am wrong there.

I also have a GTX 660, so if I am right above, I would just need the enclosure. 

Can you guys make a suggestion for one? I would not be gaming on this, but rather Machine Learning under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Thanks for your help

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

You need to have thunderbolt for eGPUs, it looks the same as USB-C but is actually different. An external GPU won't work on that computer, it's not very often to find thunderbolt on desktops that aren't Apple, they're usually on laptops.

It doesn't appear to have thunderbolt, and thats the requirement, not usb c.

I wouldn't bother with a 660, esp seeing the price of the enclosures.

I think that pc has a mxm card, but you wll have to take it apart to check. That probalby the easiest way to add a gpu, but not gonna be super easy.

You can probably also do a external gpu via the m-pcie slot.

9 hours ago, Darpyface said:

it looks the same as USB-C

Bollocks, fooled again!

Ok, thanks.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

seeing the price of the enclosures

That bad huh?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

mxm card,

It does, there was an option for an AMD Radeon...something, there. I had assumed that was a special item and only that one model was available, interesting to see there are other options, any experience with one?

Nevermind, I should have known HP wouldn't use standard interfaces. It looks like MXM, but it's too small, so a standard one wouldn't fit.

9 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Can you guys make a suggestion for one? I would not be gaming on this, but rather Machine Learning under Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

You're better off with google Colab rather than messing with that thing.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

32 minutes ago, igormp said:

google Colab

Thanks for the suggestion, but I"m not a fan of cloud.

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

It does, there was an option for an AMD Radeon...something, there. I had assumed that was a special item and only that one model was available, interesting to see there are other options, any experience with one?

Nevermind, I should have known HP wouldn't use standard interfaces. It looks like MXM, but it's too small, so a standard one wouldn't fit.

MXM is a standard, but kinda dying. Take it apart and see if you havae the slot, and the heatsink. The heatsink might be hard to get. 

What programs are you using for ml? The cpu should get you started for learning.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

MXM is a standard, but kinda dying. Take it apart and see if you havae the slot, and the heatsink. The heatsink might be hard to get. 

What programs are you using for ml? The cpu should get you started for learning.

I've used CharRNN before and yes the CPU works, but the GPU works *much* better.

The slot is about 1/4 the size of a standard MXM slot, so the standard cards are out. No matter, thought this might be a cheap way to get back into ML.

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I've used CharRNN before and yes the CPU works, but the GPU works *much* better.

The slot is about 1/4 the size of a standard MXM slot, so the standard cards are out. No matter, thought this might be a cheap way to get back into ML.

can you show a pic of the slot?

You can use the mpcie to egpu adapters, but not really a clean setup.

25 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

can you show a pic of the slot?

You can use the mpcie to egpu adapters, but not really a clean setup.

Right below the CPU cover

c05241371.jpghttps://support.hp.com/doc-images/857/c05241371.jpg

Perhaps a larger pic here

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Wave-600-Can-Sata-and-M-2-WiFi-NVMe-R9-GFX-all-function/td-p/7559964

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can probably still put a egpu in those.

I'm listening....

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

I'm listening....

You know these https://www.ebay.com/itm/V8-0-EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCIE-Graphics-Card-for-Beast-Dock-Mini-PCI-E/133382894969?hash=item1f0e3d7579:g:c3cAAOSw~HBejtkX

Not sure if it work work in that slot, but check the slot.

Also your limited to a x1 link, so that might limit you.