Cpu puns bent? Cpu broke? Help pls

Hello.

i was getting a memory error and was told to look for bent pins and since this is my first build I’m not too sure if I’m missing something. The motherboard pins look good to me but I bought a cheap cpu and didn’t look great. I’ll upload a few pics. Help would be greatly appreciated!! 

thanks.

A1FCEBB2-D36C-4B1D-9E05-B78CE08911FA.jpeg

33EFDB50-E5F6-4DD7-973A-9D8737B25EDD.jpeg

F7E2D0F6-D816-4BA0-AD71-5BC1E12717F9.jpeg

Gently clean the pads with 99% isopropyl alcohol under your CPU(do NOT touch the socket itself, that part is fine). It looks like you touched thermal paste and put your disgusting fingers on the pads.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't see any bent pins on the motherboard, but there is some residue on the CPU. Try to wipe it off with 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol.

A memmory error you say? Memmory is usually referring to your RAM.

Once you clean and reinstall the cpu, if the issue still persists try running the system with only one stick of ram in the first primary set of ram slots of your motherboard (refer to motherboard manual). And switch them to see if one of the memmory sticks are faulty, could also be that one is just not seated correctly or installed in the incorrect position ( refer to motherboard manual as sometimes it's different for each model)

15 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I don't see any bent pins on the motherboard, but there is some residue on the CPU. Try to wipe it off with 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol.

It was covered in thermal paste, I wasn’t sure if I would damage it by wiping the underside but I’ll give it a try. Would that equate as a broken pin in terms of errors?

3 minutes ago, Tr1ggerfish1 said:

Once you clean and reinstall the cpu, if the issue still persists try running the system with only one stick of ram in the first primary set of ram slots of your motherboard (refer to motherboard manual). And switch them to see if one of the memmory sticks are faulty, could also be that one is just not seated correctly or installed in the incorrect position ( refer to motherboard manual as sometimes it's different for each model)

When a motherboard or CPU pin is bent, it could be a pin that is responsible for memory with could result in memory errors like a memory channel not working. In this case, it looks like there is thermal paste or some other residue on the CPU contacts, which could be preventing contact between the CPU contacts and motherboard pins.

Just now, WanderingFoe said:

Would that equate as a broken pin in terms of errors?

It's possible, a bent pin would result in the motherboard not having contact with the CPU contact pad. The thermal paste could be similarly preventing the motherboard from making contact with the CPU contact pad.

3 minutes ago, WanderingFoe said:

I wasn’t sure if I would damage it by wiping the underside

If the thermal paste is conductive, you could cause more damage by leaving the thermal paste on there than wiping it off. Just use isopropyl alcohol and gently wipe it off. 

Looks more like damage to the CPU pads.

If you'll look closely at the chip you'll what I'm seeing - Scratches that have damaged the pads and even in the center area of the chip (Bottom right) I'm seeing indication of scratching that goes right in line directionally with what's seen on the pads. Looks like someone accidentally rubbed/scratched it, damaging the chip.

To me it's not looking great but you've nothing to lose by trying.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

11 minutes ago, Tr1ggerfish1 said:

I’m using an evga z370 ftw it gave me a post code 53, memory initialization failed, no usable memory. I tried to change slots, started at slot 2 and 4 like stated in manual. I even bought another pair of ram sticks still same error. Messing with the cpu was the last thing I wanted to do. The first ram was g skill ripjaws V then I tried Corsair vengeance rgb pro. Running out of ideas 

5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Looks more like damage to the CPU pads.

If you'll look closely at the chip you'll what I'm seeing - Scratches that have damaged the pads and even in the center area of the chip (Bottom right) I'm seeing indication of scratching that goes right in line directionally with what's seen on the pads. Looks like someone accidentally rubbed/scratched it, damaging the chip.

To me it's not looking great but you've nothing to lose by trying.

Should I go looking for a new one so I can get it shipped quicker or is there any hope in that one?

Just now, WanderingFoe said:

Should I go looking for a new one so I can get it shipped quicker or is there any hope in that one?

Have you tried wiping off the thermal paste? I don't see any scratches on the pads, I think he might think the thermal paste is scratches. 

I can only say what I'm seeing but I agree - Woudn't hurt to try cleaning it.
You can use acetone to be sure it's clean and once done, try it in the board. If it works, good for you and if not, you know what to do.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.