New PC does boot normally, but also shows red lights

Fez91

Hello all,

I finished my first build and I just finished installing Windows. I noticed at the first two boots my PC seemed to restart itself before eventually booting up. I didn't think much of this and it's also booting up normally now. Yet my motherboard (MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX) does show three red lights in a chronological order. While booting up there is a red light glowing indicating the CPU, which then disappears and shows up next to VGA, which then also disappears and finally shows up next to 'BOOT'. It's almost as if the PC is checking every component before starting up? There is no flashing nor any beeps after this and the PC boots up without any issues. Should I still be worried?

Thanks.

No.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I never owned a Tomahawk board but yes, it is testing the CPU and RAM before it boots up. This is called POST (power-on self test). The first boot it may restart after it have trained the memory. So completely normal behavior.

That is one huge relief.. Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know why these red lights only show next to CPU, VGA en BOOT? There is also something called 'DRAM' between them, but that seems to be skipped during the self test.

3 minutes ago, Fez91 said:

That is one huge relief.. Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know why these red lights only show next to CPU, VGA en BOOT? There is also something called 'DRAM' between them, but that seems to be skipped during the self test.

Your manual should have more info. Dram is memory.  Testing memory often takes hours.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thanks. Bit of a noob here, but this is a relief to hear.

Yes, almost every modern board period has these LEDS and that's what they do and indicate. 

Even boards from 10+ years ago have them, it's all perfectly normal.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.