Monitor disconnects when powered off

BelgianNoise
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, BelgianNoise said:

alright the ports being (in)active is a good explanation.

Is there a way to keep the ports active? or is that setting baked into the monitor ?

The monitor decides what it does and that's it. If it says the ports are inactive then so be it.

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X (Drivers updated yesterday)

Monitor 1: MSI Optix MAG27C            => will refer to as M1

Monitor 2: Dell P2719H                       => will refer to as M2

Here is the problem: When i turn off M1 all my windows opened on M1 will move to M2. When i turn it back on, ALL windows (also the ones that were originally on M2) jump to M1. It has been like this for like 2 years and its kind of driving me nuts.

I did some simple detective work and found out that when i turn off M1, it didnt show up in device manager anymore. Turning off M2 will not remove it from that list.

I tried googleing ofc, most frequent answer is "update your drivers". Nothing there to fix.

any help is welcome!

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

Yeah that's what's supposed to happen when you turn a monitor off. Windows stops seeing it as it stops sending out a signal. Some budget or a lot of older monitors don't do this and stay connected even tho they are off which is not what's supposed to happen.

Dual monitor user here, and I concur. When my main monitor (Omen 25) is turned off, my main screen will move to my secondary monitor, as it should. Windows wants to display the info if its on, so it will find any powered on monitor and use it. When I power down the computers, both monitors stop detecting a signal and go to sleep as they should.

The symptoms you are talking about clearly mention the normal operation of a dual monitor setup.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

2 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

Dual monitor user here, and I concur. When my main monitor (Omen 25) is turned off, my main screen will move to my secondary monitor, as it should. Windows wants to display the info if its on, so it will find any powered on monitor and use it. When I power down the computers, both monitors stop detecting a signal and go to sleep as they should.

The symptoms you are talking about clearly mention the normal operation of a dual monitor setup.

When i turn off M2 everything stays normal. when i then turn off M1 it will also put everything on M2 even tho its off.
so that doesnt add up. i also used a 2nd monitor on my laptop and when i turned of that monitor is wouldnt just smack everything on my laptop screen.

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

2 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

When i turn off M2 everything stays normal. when i then turn off M1 it will also put everything on M2 even tho its off.
so that doesnt add up. i also used a 2nd monitor on my laptop and when i turned of that monitor is wouldnt just smack everything on my laptop screen.

I agree with @jaslion, this sounds like a difference in hardware. One of the monitors turns off its port when you power it off, so Windows can no longer see it. Which causes Windows to move stuff around, so it stays visible. The other one keeps its port active, which means Windows assumes its fine to keep showing stuff there.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I agree with @jaslion, this sounds like a difference in hardware. One of the monitors turns off its port when you power it off, so Windows can no longer see it. Which causes Windows to move stuff around, so it stays visible. The other one keeps its port active, which means Windows assumes its fine to keep showing stuff there.

Is there a way to keep the ports active? or is that setting baked into the monitor ?

1 minute ago, BelgianNoise said:

The monitor decides what it does and that's it. If it says the ports are inactive then so be it.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

aight ty, have a good one

• 2 years later...

This is so annoying since you literally have to turn on m1 before you power up the computer or as in as in my case the monitor doesnt work properly unless i do it in that exact order (I don't log out of my game since I have to enter a password and authenticator code and simply suspend my computer with the game logged in and on the character screen which is off the server.)  . Perfect solution is to make windows stop screwing with things that i didnt tell it too.   I think this is the exact reason for the group policy editor, which I have used to stop windows from updating my video drivers because of legacy conflicts I have.  I havent found an instance on the internet yet where someone provides instructions, but there probably is a system administrator setting in group policy to control your machine so it doesnt cause an app to crash by disconnecting the display when the monitor is simply in a low-power state. 🙂  Please let me know if you do find the control or another solution.