Too much thermal padte

I decided to clean my fan and my heatsink only to find out when I first installed the cpu I had applied to much thermal paste (See attachments). So I know it’s not good to reinstall your heatsink if you removed it and I’m scared I will push the thermal paste in the socket when I clean it. Any advice?

0FD6428C-AEB0-45D4-B1B5-E43364C2FB5F.jpeg

F7518817-6635-42AB-92C0-0A1435607B72.jpeg

409297AB-A0F6-47A3-9625-F5C396E3E208.jpeg

63388E13-0D02-4067-AFE5-B9DFBE7E0A30.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Berkan5473 said:

I decided to clean my fan and my heatsink only to find out when I first installed the cpu I had applied to much thermal paste (See attachments). So I know it’s not good to reinstall your heatsink if you removed it and I’m scared I will push the thermal paste in the socket when I clean it. Any advice?

0FD6428C-AEB0-45D4-B1B5-E43364C2FB5F.jpeg

F7518817-6635-42AB-92C0-0A1435607B72.jpeg

409297AB-A0F6-47A3-9625-F5C396E3E208.jpeg

63388E13-0D02-4067-AFE5-B9DFBE7E0A30.jpeg

HOW MUCH FUCKING THERMAL PASTE DID YOU PUT  a gallon ?!?!?!? lmao

jokes aside just clean it normally and if you dont want to get rid of the thermal paste aside just leave it be 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I think you are confusing resocketing a CPU with putting an integrated heat sink back on a CPU after deliding it, which is slightly more difficult and a bit more worrying.

I don't think taking out the CPU, cleaning it carefully and then replacing it is a concern.

Your larger concern is that when removing the CPU you may end up with paste in the socket.

However, in the pictures, just use some high strength 90%+ proof alcohol to clean it.

Start on the edges and move inwards, so the paste is pushed to the middle of the heatsink.  Come in at an angle and move upwards so the paste is not pushed down.

Use non-fibrous paper towels to clean it (not toilet roll which tends to break up too easily).

I have heard that coffee filters are good for this, though I have never used them.

I don't think you should have any issue cleaning it.

I think you drowned it, have you tried CPR? 

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

19 hours ago, Dravinian said:

I think you are confusing resocketing a CPU with putting an integrated heat sink back on a CPU after deliding it, which is slightly more difficult and a bit more worrying.

I don't think taking out the CPU, cleaning it carefully and then replacing it is a concern.

Your larger concern is that when removing the CPU you may end up with paste in the socket.

However, in the pictures, just use some high strength 90%+ proof alcohol to clean it.

Start on the edges and move inwards, so the paste is pushed to the middle of the heatsink.  Come in at an angle and move upwards so the paste is not pushed down.

Use non-fibrous paper towels to clean it (not toilet roll which tends to break up too easily).

I have heard that coffee filters are good for this, though I have never used them.

I don't think you should have any issue cleaning it.

Oké status update, tried it but didn’t work, removed my cpu completely and cleaned everything again. Didn’t work Got a red warning light for my cpu, removed it again And know it does nothing. I’m afraid I might broke my cpu or my motherboards. Any thing that could help, don’t have another motherboard laying around to test or another cpu. I checked the cpu and saw no visible damage

13 minutes ago, Berkan5473 said:

tried it but didn’t work,

Tried what ?

Don't tell me you removed the IHS ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

29 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Tried what ?

Don't tell me you removed the IHS ?

No I didn’t, removed the cpu from its socket. Cleaned the cpu, some thermal paste around the socket which spilled there the first times I installed it. Put it back in the socket and then attached the heatsink again. Started my pc, no video output, only a red indicator light which is for a problem with the cpu. Re socketed the cpu and then it did nothing.

1 minute ago, Berkan5473 said:

which spilled

Spilled where exactly ?

Build Log: 

Just clean it off with some rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Spilled where exactly ?

On the side of the socket but not inside 

9 minutes ago, Berkan5473 said:

On the side of the socket but not inside 

so one the printed circuitry ? 

Build Log: 

20 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

so one the printed circuitry ? 

On the side,  not on the circuitry. But does thermal paste conduct electricity?

Just now, Berkan5473 said:

thermal paste conduct electricity?

thats not the concerning part the concerning part is if you shorted the board by spilling alcohol on the mobo (which is conductive)

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Berkan5473 said:

But does thermal paste conduct electricity?

It depend on the thermal paste.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

8 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

thats not the concerning part the concerning part is if you shorted the board by spilling alcohol on the mobo (which is conductive)

Didn’t spill it on the motherboard. But I know for sure that there got some on the pins of the procesor so I’m pretty Shure I short circuited my processor, does that have any effect on other components which I will have to replace then?

1 minute ago, Berkan5473 said:

does that have any effect on other components which I will have to replace then?

for the most part not the ram not the gpu and not the storage but you might (and i could be wrong ) you might have shorted the mobo (as i said i could be wrong ) 

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

for the most part not the ram not the gpu and not the storage but you might (and i could be wrong ) you might have shorted the mobo (as i said i could be wrong ) 

Oké, i guess I’ll save some money in the hope it’s only the processor. Does it matter if I put a working processor in the motherboard?

Just now, Berkan5473 said:

Does it matter if I put a working processor in the motherboard?

if you have a spare pga 1331 (am4) cpu try it maybe the mobo isnt dead and it could be just the cpu 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

if you have a spare pga 1331 (am4) cpu try it maybe the mobo isnt dead and it could be just the cpu 

I don’t have one, I can return my cpu if it didn’t work out cuz of how ordering is fixed in the eu 

41 minutes ago, Berkan5473 said:

I don’t have one, I can return my cpu if it didn’t work out cuz of how ordering is fixed in the eu 

Nvm managed to get it working somehow and stress testing it rn