Questions about an automatic shutdown and folding with integrated graphocs

When I first started folding about 7 weeks ago, work units were sometimes hard to come by.  But for the last 10 days or so, my folding client immediately starts a new WU as soon as it completes one.  For what it's worth I'm generating over a million points a day, but I don't want to run my PC 24/7 for weeks or months at a time.  I've noticed that if I turn my computer off at night, when it resumes work in the morning the value of that WU falls by 40-50%.  I am guessing that's because WU's are worth more points the faster they are completed.  Ultimately, the points don't matter and what's important is the proteins get folded.  But psychologically the higher your point total the more you feel you accomplish.  I am thinking that's why they award points.  Well for that and for periodic competitions.  

So here's my question.  I see a big red button that will stop folding.  But is there a way to tell the client to finish its current work unit(s) but not start any new ones?  In an ideal world, I'd love to be able to tell it to finish what it's working on and then shut down the computer automatically, sort of how windows will install an update then shut down.

I'm also waiting on some parts from NewEgg to assemble a htpc for my bedroom.  I am going to use a Ryzen 3 3200G with integrated graphics.  I've noticed that GPU work units are worth many times what CPU work units are worth.  Can the folding client be set up to work on GPU work units with the integrated graphics?  

My main rig has a 9900K and an RTX 2060.  I had to limit folding on the CPU to 4 threads because it was running too hot.  I am waiting on an EVGA CLC 360mm AIO, that I will use to replace the Hyper 212 I have installed currently.  If the temps stay cool enough, I'll try raising/eliminating the thread limit.  Would the folding client ever use the 9900K's integrated graphics for GPU folding?  Could it fold with both the integrated graphics and the 2060 at the same time?

7 minutes ago, Michael McChesney said:

But is there a way to tell the client to finish its current work unit(s) but not start any new ones?

Yes in the advanced client, jsut not in the web one. Can't tell it to auto shutdown though.

image.png.eef5b4770014f9d71716f3c956d9df17.png

Integrated GPUs are't supported. Would be at least an order of magnitude less efficient than your dedicated one.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

So here's my question.  I see a big red button that will stop folding.  But is there a way to tell the client to finish its current work unit(s) but not start any new ones?  In an ideal world, I'd love to be able to tell it to finish what it's working on and then shut down the computer automatically, sort of how windows will install an update then shut down.

If you're on Windows, there is also a desktop application for F@H installed. Search for 'FAHControl' on your PC (or right click the Folding icon in your system tray, right click > advanced view).

In this client, there is a button called 'finish', which will do exactly as you described. Finished up the current WU, does not download a new one.

image.thumb.png.17728f7101d25d8457b4a7cb56e1ccb2.png

(random screenshot found online).

You could also right click your CPU/GPU slot, to finish (or resume/pause) them separately.

Can the folding client be set up to work on GPU work units with the integrated graphics?  

No, not as far as I know.

Would the folding client ever use the 9900K's integrated graphics for GPU folding?  Could it fold with both the integrated graphics and the 2060 at the same time?

As far as I know, it just fold on your CPU's cores.

But keep in mind, CPU WU's are 'worth less' (in terms of points), but CPU's can fold WU's that GPU's just can't complete. So just because you get less points, doesn't mean science isn't done with the results!

But looking at PPD/Watts or just PPD in general, a GPU does much better than a CPU.

That's just the nature of what F@H does.

EDIT: oh and by the way, in the past I Googled basically your exact first question; can I tell F@H to shut off my PC, when it's done with a WU.

The response in the thread I found (which It think was a response from someone on the F@H team, but don't quote me on that), was that they generally don't have users 'like that'.

As in most users either:

- Ran F@H 24/7

or

- They ran F@H whenever they wanted and just shut off their PC whenever they wanted.

Because the F@H community generally consists of these two 'groups' of people, they didn't develop something to shutdown a PC once the WU's were done.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, minibois said:

EDIT: oh and by the way, in the past I Googled basically your exact first question; can I tell F@H to shut off my PC, when it's done with a WU.

The response in the thread I found (which It think was a response from someone on the F@H team, but don't quote me on that), was that they generally don't have users 'like that'.

As in most users either:

- Ran F@H 24/7

or

- They ran F@H whenever they wanted and just shut off their PC whenever they wanted.

Because the F@H community generally consists of these two 'groups' of people, they didn't develop something to shutdown a PC once the WU's were done.

I guess I just like to be unique.  I'm a Mets fan that's lived most of his life in the Bronx and a, well just say a member of a political party that loathes (or loathed) a president of that party.  

Thanks for all the info.

2 hours ago, Michael McChesney said:

... But is there a way to tell the client to finish its current work unit(s) but not start any new ones?  In an ideal world, I'd love to be able to tell it to finish what it's working on and then shut down the computer automatically, sort of how windows will install an update then shut down.

FAHClient --send-finish

can be used in Windows Task Scheduler to set the client to Finish at a pre-determined time but there's no easy way to tell when it's done to then shutdown the system

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m