Wired Vs Wireless Hosting Issues (From Laptop)

Go to solution Solved by ReturnDesender,
On 5/17/2020 at 4:05 AM, AbsoluteFool said:

His comment should tell you alot. 1. Your wifi and ethernet uses two different routers for starter. 2. Do you find the server in the attached devices list for your router (if it has). This should give you clues as to where to check. Instead you leave a wierd comment that you don't understand it. How about filling your questions with something that we can actually help with? For example which OS you are using, your port forwarding settings internal IPs etc, firewall rules and such. 

I'll just ask for help elsewhere. Nobody wants assistance from someone with a snarky attitude. You criticize me because I don't understand his comment. Much appreciated. How about treating people with respect and filling your replies with helpful information? ;D

I host dedicated servers for me and my friends to play on, I am hosting on a separate computer which is dedicated to just hosting servers. When I host my servers, I have noticed that if I have the laptop (server computer) using an Ethernet cable for the internet connection, instead of using wifi to host the server. Nobody is able to connect to it except me. But when I use wifi to host it everyone can connect fine. I have also tried changing my port forwards when doing this since using wifi vs ethernet seem to have different IPV4 addresses. But I am not able to figure out why nobody can connect to it when I use an Ethernet cable. I would very much prefer too host it that way for a more stable connection and less fluctuation, but I am drawing a blank. Does anybody have some possible solutions?

You definitely need to change the IP address you're port forwarding from. You probably aren't doing it correctly if you can connect but others can't - make sure you're forwarding the correct address and that there's no firewall on your router blocking that traffic.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You definitely need to change the IP address you're port forwarding from. You probably aren't doing it correctly if you can connect but others can't - make sure you're forwarding the correct address and that there's no firewall on your router blocking that traffic.

That was something I had done previously which is why I know it changes the IPV4 address when trying to host using ethernet vs wifi. When I was trying to host using ethernet I would change my IPV4 address that I had port forwarded to match the one from the ethernet connection. People are able to connect when I host wirelessly. Unfortunately your comment doesn't tell me anything.

Just now, ReturnDesender said:

That was something I had done previously which is why I know it changes the IPV4 address when trying to host using ethernet vs wifi. When I was trying to host using ethernet I would change my IPV4 address that I had port forwarded to match the one from the ethernet connection. People are able to connect when I host wirelessly. Unfortunately your comment doesn't tell me anything.

Also, I have am not having any issues with the firewall because if I disable it completely I run into the same problem.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:43 PM, ReturnDesender said:

His comment should tell you alot. 1. Your wifi and ethernet uses two different routers for starter. 2. Do you find the server in the attached devices list for your router (if it has). This should give you clues as to where to check. Instead you leave a wierd comment that you don't understand it. How about filling your questions with something that we can actually help with? For example which OS you are using, your port forwarding settings internal IPs etc, firewall rules and such. 

On 5/17/2020 at 4:05 AM, AbsoluteFool said:

I'll just ask for help elsewhere. Nobody wants assistance from someone with a snarky attitude. You criticize me because I don't understand his comment. Much appreciated. How about treating people with respect and filling your replies with helpful information? ;D