G15 or the A15?

I'm extremely torn between Wich of these to get, I'll only have the money for one of them. Can someone help sway me to one side or the other?

I also don't entirely mind going for the g14 if it's a considerably better value and looks more sexy while being a solid value. 

2 minutes ago, AzrealNoctis said:

I also don't entirely mind going for the g14 if it's a considerably better value and looks more sexy while being a solid value. 

Make sure you get one that isn't 60hz. I think that the A15 and the G14 both come in 60hz models, which are not good.

Personally, I would go with the G15.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

4 minutes ago, AzrealNoctis said:

I would say G14.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

6 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

I would say G14.

Can you find a link to one? Preferably black? I can't seem to find any anywhere

Both options have their own issues. Are you able to wait for more options?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, genexis_x said:

Both options have their own issues. Are you able to wait for more options?

What kinds of issues? Ive still got some time if something considerably better is on the horizon

1 minute ago, AzrealNoctis said:

What kinds of issues? Ive still got some time if something considerably better is on the horizon

A15: bad cooling / thermals, 144Hz but low sRGB + ~15ms

G15: need to remove sheets blocking fan intakes, cools slightly worse than G14 even with bigger chassis and modded intakes, avoid the 144Hz model (same low sRGB + ~15ms panel)

Also: Asus laptops don't have good QC and reliability in general

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

3 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

A15: bad cooling / thermals, 144Hz but low sRGB + ~15ms

G15: need to remove sheets blocking fan intakes, cools slightly worse than G14 even with bigger chassis and modded intakes, avoid the 144Hz model (same low sRGB + ~15ms panel)

Also: Asus laptops don't have good QC and reliability in general

I did say I wouldn't mind going for the g14 if it was a better value, also, I have a Asus going laptop and I haven't had any quality issues with it

if you give a f** about responsetime and tearing and generally the display then the a15 is better. I would take the g15 because the a15 display is just crap

4 minutes ago, AzrealNoctis said:

g14

Only get it if you really need 14 inch since there are some compromises: single storage, limited ports / IO, Max-Q GPUs, high GTG response time 120Hz panel etc

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Well, looks like the a15 is theost probable candidate as of right now, would've loved having the pixel meme machine on the back, but then I realized, nobody will ever see me🤣

Just now, AzrealNoctis said:

Well, looks like the a15 is theost probable candidate as of right now, would've loved having the pixel meme machine on the back, but then I realized, nobody will ever see me🤣

"The most"

Color Gamut is typically the complaint for the a15's monitor which won't matter if you're just using it to game on. It's a laptop that can be had for under a grand (https://www.newegg.com/fortress-gray-asus-tuf-gaming-a15-tuf506iu-es74-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235421). Response time you probably won't even notice. Bulit in camera and plenty of ports. Wouldn't go wrong going with any of those laptops though, just good luck finding one that you won't get for another month due to supply and demand issues. Asus' current 4000 series are selling like hotcakes due to not much competition out (yet) and timing with covid. Still pretty good deal for what you're paying for, no where near the best but pretty alright and decent IMO. Should expect a few good years with it as long as nothing goes wrong. Like you I've always had good luck with Asus. Sure it sucks if something goes wrong but afaik they used to offer like a 1 year accidental damage warranty on top of like another year of parts, they probably aren't so generous anymore but I RMA'd a few I got from amazon like 10 years ago for minor issues like a broken screen etc. This was back in like 1st gen i7 days and was actually damaged on arrival so some just got sent back to amazon, others I had at the time really wanted so I tried the RMA and was satisfied. The only bummer is waiting a week or two without your product while repairs are being completed. Though I had a backup system so I didn't suffer.

Ive got the G15, ive had it less than 2 weeks and its suddenly started to make a grinding noise from one of the cooling fans. Im still waiting for a reply from Asus to a fix or going the RMA route. genexis_x, you said that you have to remove the sheets from the airintakes? what do you mean by that? 

Apart from this problem I love my G15, its the first laptop ive owned that has a 144hz screen, Im actually using it more than my desktop during the lockdown. Im sitting in the garden enjoying fresh air and able to play Destiny 2 without needing to sit in my home office in this heat.

edit:

I took my G15 apart to check and yep theres black sheets over the vents, the rear of the vents seem riveted to the back plate on the rear of the laptop so i didnt want to force them off without checking a guide. I suppose you could use a sharp blade to cut the paper out..

As I had the cover off the laptop I noticed a spare slot for a SSD / NVMe so I took advantage of that and put a spare drive in. 

I think I'll do some more research before I cut the sheets off though, I've got a feeling thats what is causing the grinding/vibration noise that ive been getting.

Edited by DropTopGPU
adding addition info

5 hours ago, DropTopGPU said:

Ive got the G15, ive had it less than 2 weeks and its suddenly started to make a grinding noise from one of the cooling fans. Im still waiting for a reply from Asus to a fix or going the RMA route. genexis_x, you said that you have to remove the sheets from the airintakes? what do you mean by that? 

Apart from this problem I love my G15, its the first laptop ive owned that has a 144hz screen, Im actually using it more than my desktop during the lockdown. Im sitting in the garden enjoying fresh air and able to play Destiny 2 without needing to sit in my home office in this heat.

edit:

I took my G15 apart to check and yep theres black sheets over the vents, the rear of the vents seem riveted to the back plate on the rear of the laptop so i didnt want to force them off without checking a guide. I suppose you could use a sharp blade to cut the paper out..

As I had the cover off the laptop I noticed a spare slot for a SSD / NVMe so I took advantage of that and put a spare drive in. 

I think I'll do some more research before I cut the sheets off though, I've got a feeling thats what is causing the grinding/vibration noise that ive been getting.

The only thing I'm gonna dread when I get the a15, is installing all of my programs and games.

🤣😔

14 hours ago, DropTopGPU said:

ive had it less than 2 weeks and its suddenly started to make a grinding noise from one of the cooling fans

typical Asus laptop quality, good luck with the RMA as Asus warranty service doesn't have good reputation

14 hours ago, DropTopGPU said:

genexis_x, you said that you have to remove the sheets from the airintakes? what do you mean by that? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG14/comments/g7kd5b/asus_rog_zephyrus_240_hz_g15_2020_open_vent/

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, genexis_x said:

typical Asus laptop quality, good luck with the RMA as Asus warranty service doesn't have good reputation

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG14/comments/g7kd5b/asus_rog_zephyrus_240_hz_g15_2020_open_vent/

Thank you, I dont use reddit a lot but as theres a G14/G15 community there I think I will be back to check quite often. I'll have to leave removing the black covers as I think I'll need to RMA it, the grinding Vibration has got worse today, so loud I struggled to hear a video over it.