PSU smoking when I turn pc on

oliverthegundog

So I was playing BF1 and my computer randomly turns off. This used to happen because sometimes when I’m playing games I’ll accidentally turn off the power surge with my foot, so I turn it back on, but it turns on for a split second and turns off, with smoke coming out of the PSU.

This wouldn’t be too weird if I’ve had the PSU for a while, but I’ve only had it since Christmas. One thing that might be important is that I almost always have the door to my room closed, so it gets pretty hot in there.

SPECS

MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4

Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4-3000 l

Storage: Sabrenet Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME SSD

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 590 8 GB FATBOY OC+

PSU: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX

Should I replace the PSU or is there a way to fix it? If I should replace it, what would be your guys suggestions? Budget would be 100 tops.

I would contact Corsair customer support.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Replace it immediately, repairing power supplies has too much risk involved. I DO NOT RECOMMEND TURNING PC ON AGAIN WITH IT INSTALLED.

Very abnormal that it died so early, can you try RMAing it?

Pizza is the best food group

Unless you're competent and are trained, don't try to fix it yourself. There are components inside that work with mains voltage and thus carry enough of a kick to seriously injure or even kill you.

Be prepared to replace one or more of your components as well. The PSU dying may have killed something downstream, or shortened the life of your components.

Wait..  There's literally smoke coming out of your PSU, but it still works???

That's... umm....

14 hours ago, oliverthegundog said:

No it doesn’t work did I say that?

No.  You never said that.