Which cpu?

I'm sure this has been discussed bit I can't find a good answer so I will ask it anyway.

I currently have a Ryzen 2400g which I bought for a budget gaming rig, since then I have added a GPU (rx580) but am still running the asrock b450m-hdv mobo with 16GB of dual channel ram that I started with. I'm now wanting to upgrade the CPU as I don't need the built in graphics and it seems to be holding its value well on the second hand market. BUT, I don't know if I should go for a 2600 or get a 3300x.

I know the 3300x is benchmarking better for gaming at 1080 (which is my main use case), but I don't know of that would be compromised by the rest of my config not being able to take advantage of the increased speed. The price for them both should be very similar (£80ish for the 2600, £95 for the 3300x) so it's purely performance that I'm interested in...

The 3300X should be better for gaming in most cases, but who knows for how long this will be the case as games start using more and more threads, and the next-gen consoles will have 8C/16T CPUs in them. How much can you get the 3600 for?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, Cornish said:

I'm sure this has been discussed bit I can't find a good answer so I will ask it anyway.

I currently have a Ryzen 2400g which I bought for a budget gaming rig, since then I have added a GPU (rx580) but am still running the asrock b450m-hdv mobo with 16GB of dual channel ram that I started with. I'm now wanting to upgrade the CPU as I don't need the built in graphics and it seems to be holding its value well on the second hand market. BUT, I don't know if I should go for a 2600 or get a 3300x.

I know the 3300x is benchmarking better for gaming at 1080 (which is my main use case), but I don't know of that would be compromised by the rest of my config not being able to take advantage of the increased speed. The price for them both should be very similar (£80ish for the 2600, £95 for the 3300x) so it's purely performance that I'm interested in...

Where are you looking to buy the 3300x for that price? cheapest I can see is around £115

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 minutes ago, Cornish said:

If its purely performance in games you are interested in then keep your CPU sell your RX  580 add 100 -150 pounds on top of that and buy a rx 5600xt

11 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Where are you looking to buy the 3300x for that price? cheapest I can see is around £115

A local shop said they expected the cost to be just under £100 when they had availability, I've only seen preorders so far online at your price.

15 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The 3300X should be better for gaming in most cases, but who knows for how long this will be the case as games start using more and more threads, and the next-gen consoles will have 8C/16T CPUs in them. How much can you get the 3600 for?

The 3600 is about £150, more than I can stretch to at the moment, but my mobo being a bottleneck was my main worry, I'm happyish to take the risk in core count...

9 minutes ago, Cornish said:

The 3600 is about £150, more than I can stretch to at the moment, but my mobo being a bottleneck was my main worry, I'm happyish to take the risk in core count...

Yeah it's far from a great board, but it should work for a stock 6-core. 

From GN's benchmarks it looks like the 3300X matches or barely gets edged out by an overclocked 8086K, and it only falls behind slightly at 1080p when the GPU used is a 2080Ti, but that happens at already very high framerates.

I'd say go for the 3300X.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Thanks @Mateyyy I hadn't seen the GN vid, I think I'll hang fire until the 3300x is properly available then...