Help deciding if this low profile graphics card will work.

smmmokin

Hi Friends,

I need to thank you all ahead of time. I did research but am hoping to get some help on this. I'm attaching a picture of the inside of the case if it helps. I can't afford to make a mistake. I have an old computer I got from work and want to turn it into a modest gaming machine. Only need help with a graphics card. I've gamed on laptops my entire life. Want to change that. Here's the info.

I have a lenovo thinkcentre mt-m 7518. Made in 2012. Low profile to the max. 240W power supply. It says they can also come with "320W, 90plus, auto-sensing" but I can't figure out what to search to find it. Tried several sites. Custom PC I could figure it out but I'm having a hard time with such a dated company specific case. Horrified thinking I'd buy the wrong thing.

I've seen people say this card will work:

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gtx-1050-ti-4gt-lp/p/N82E16814137081?cm_re=1050_ti_low_profile-_-14-137-081-_-Product

It uses 75W but recommends a 300W power supply. My current supply is 240 Watts. It's a 4G card which would be perfect.

The PC has an intel i5-2400 @ 3.1Ghz

4GB ram but plan to update to one stick of 8 and eventually 16GB

Definitely zero overclocking. If I game that's it. No multi tasking or running any power through USB. CD drive I can disconnect if that makes a difference(probly will regardless for better airflow). Have an HDD but I'd rather switch to an SSD to reduce power vs getting new power supply.

Will the card I mentioned above work? I'd want a 4G card. Anything less would be a little rough. I'm pretty sure that card is good but worry about power. Total noob. I gotta head to bed but will pop in tomorrow. Any advice or help I'd forever be in your debt. If I had some kind of power tester thing I'd plug it in to see how power it draws but have no such thing. She's a rinkity operation. Thanks for any help.

PC.jpg

honestly you sound like you have very little glue what you are doing, id sell that pc for around 50-100 bucks  for someones homeuse network and buy an used atx case and build sth decent into it... like ryzen 5 2600 goes around 120€ from where i am thats around 105 USD pair it with an b450 mobo and ur golden, since that cpu cant game worth a damm... and go for some radeon gpu

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

3 hours ago, nextg3n said:

honestly you sound like you have very little glue what you are doing, id sell that pc for around 50-100 bucks  for someones homeuse network and buy an used atx case and build sth decent into it... like ryzen 5 2600 goes around 120€ from where i am thats around 105 USD pair it with an b450 mobo and ur golden, since that cpu cant game worth a damm... and go for some radeon gpu

I dont have much glue right now either but

1) why should he buy a 2600 while a 3300 costs like 120 euro (which is 130 USD btw)? 

2) yea assuming he will find a buyer for this PC (which will surely be time-consuming )  and assuming he sells it for 100 bucks... then he buys a 120 bucks CPU  + a (minimum 50$ bucks)  motherboard and he is golden huh? 

And he will get with that a free PSU(min 50$), ATX(min 30$), RAM(min 40$), HDD(min 40$) and GPU(150$ for a gtx 1050 ti) ?  

m8 dont belittle people making them feel bad obviously TS knows his PC is not much to write home about but has it crossed your mind that maybe he doesnt have the budget to buy a new one and saved some money in order to be able to play some games?  

@smmmokin From the picture I can not see it but you should have a x16 slot (a longer one that the small black one in the picture) so if you have that (and googling your model it seems that you do) then it will fit and it will probably work although your PSU will be pushed on its limits (mind that not all of those 240 watts are going for CPU/MoBo/GPU/RAM etc in the sticker it will mention max limits for each voltage rail)  

I would get this one instead though https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gv-n105toc-4gl/p/N82E16814125952?Item=N82E16814125952&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https%3a%2f%2fpcpartpicker.com%2fproduct%2fDw4NnQ%2fgigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-oc-low-profile-video-card-gv-n105toc-4gl&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-hH29tcPENqiRtLj8s1XJ5A

3 hours ago, papajo said:

I dont have much glue right now either but

1) why should he buy a 2600 while a 3300 costs like 120 euro (which is 130 USD btw)? 

2) yea assuming he will find a buyer for this PC (which will surely be time-consuming )  and assuming he sells it for 100 bucks... then he buys a 120 bucks CPU  + a (minimum 50$ bucks)  motherboard and he is golden huh? 

And he will get with that a free PSU(min 50$), ATX(min 30$), RAM(min 40$), HDD(min 40$) and GPU(150$ for a gtx 1050 ti) ?  

m8 dont belittle people making them feel bad obviously TS knows his PC is not much to write home about but has it crossed your mind that maybe he doesnt have the budget to buy a new one and saved some money in order to be able to play some games?  

@smmmokin From the picture I can not see it but you should have a x16 slot (a longer one that the small black one in the picture) so if you have that (and googling your model it seems that you do) then it will fit and it will probably work although your PSU will be pushed on its limits (mind that not all of those 240 watts are going for CPU/MoBo/GPU/RAM etc in the sticker it will mention max limits for each voltage rail)  

I would get this one instead though https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gv-n105toc-4gl/p/N82E16814125952?Item=N82E16814125952&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https%3a%2f%2fpcpartpicker.com%2fproduct%2fDw4NnQ%2fgigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-4gb-oc-low-profile-video-card-gv-n105toc-4gl&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-hH29tcPENqiRtLj8s1XJ5A

didnt mean to belittle anyone, but i would not try to cram gaming stuff into that, he will run into overheating issues... and with current covid status he can easily sell a network pc for 100 bucks, but to use that as a gaming machine is like buying an old cheap car, its an eternal repair project. just my opinion, save up and get sth slightly decent.

2 hours ago, nextg3n said:

didnt mean to belittle anyone, but i would not try to cram gaming stuff into that, he will run into overheating issues... and with current covid status he can easily sell a network pc for 100 bucks, but to use that as a gaming machine is like buying an old cheap car, its an eternal repair project. just my opinion, save up and get sth slightly decent.

lol it's all good. I don't have the budget but if it would be a nightmare and I'd run into cooling issues I'd rather figure out some kind of alternative. I'd be even sadder if I try something with this one and a few months in things start burning out. Back in the day I was all in with building up PC's but for some reason got a laptop and stayed with them. Dell XPS m1710. Thing was awesome(aside from replaceable graphics constantly burning out). So I'm completely out of the loop with tower PC's. I do currently keep files and have plex running on the one I was thinking of converting so I will not be selling it. My current laptop has a Ryzen 7 3750H with a GTX 1650. For what I'm used to that's top of the line right there! Games actually look surprisingly great on it.

I appreciate the cold hard truth from both of you. I'll probly just start slowly buying parts and get something built up. I'm far from being used to top of the line anything so am certain I could get it done pretty cheap. As long as it's done before the laptop burns out that's a win in my book.

Thanks friends!

34 minutes ago, smmmokin said:

. My current laptop has a Ryzen 7 3750H with a GTX 1650. For what I'm used to that's top of the line right there! Games actually look surprisingly great on it.

Since you have that laptop keep also in mind that you need a much better build in order to have meaningful extra game performance to warrant the budget

If you buy something like a GTX 1050ti or even a GTX 1650 it would not be worth it (accounting for the total cost of the parts in order to run those cards without bottlenecks) because the experience would be similar to your current laptop's in terms of performance in games. 

You need to build a RX 5700 xt kind of rig in order to see a meaningful performance boost which will end up costing you (with frugal choices) about 850$ for the entire tower. 

13 hours ago, papajo said:

Since you have that laptop keep also in mind that you need a much better build in order to have meaningful extra game performance to warrant the budget

If you buy something like a GTX 1050ti or even a GTX 1650 it would not be worth it (accounting for the total cost of the parts in order to run those cards without bottlenecks) because the experience would be similar to your current laptop's in terms of performance in games. 

You need to build a RX 5700 xt kind of rig in order to see a meaningful performance boost which will end up costing you (with frugal choices) about 850$ for the entire tower. 

i actually second that idea :D