Mercury S5 - Where do you mount the reservoir?

Go to solution Solved by Whaler_99,

For dampening material, use anything. Some thick foam, Styrofoam, even thick double sided taped. Just something to help absorb the vibration. And no, don't need to drill. You just need to be positive it is very secure. Those motors spin very fast and vibrate, so you need to make sure they are, and stay, secure. A bunch of zip straps and tape should do ok.

So, about to confirm my build, but I still have some burning questions to tweak the water-cooling portion of the build, as I plan on doing it myself (and it will be my first water-cooled rig).

Basic components to consider for my rig:

Caselabs Mercury S5 (with extended ventilated top) --- getting the airflow config on NCIX.ca

Darkside Thick (65mm) radiators 240mm + 360mm

Laing Res/D5-Vario Pump Combo

5 x Sythe GT 2150rpm

5 x Scythe 120mm fan filters

Just have to cool a 4770k & a Titan Black. I know. Overkill on the rads for just two components. But, just getting the 360mm rad and a full custom (while budget-friendly) set-up costs exactly the same with the 240mm kit. I just don't like the size of the res. It is small. Plus, it does make it relatively easy for me to SLI in the future (reducing the cost of the future upgrade).

So where the heck would I mount it inside a case like that, with rads all over the place?? It is a bit of a big case, so I don't get why I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put it. Do I need a special res/pump stand? Where can I find it on NCIX.ca or dazmode.com ?

Maybe you can take a look at the pump/res

Will I need some right-angled fittings?

Corsair Obsidian 250D | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Intel i7-4770k | Corsair h100i (with Noctua NF-F12) | G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Black 1TB | eVGA GTX Titan Black (+ ACX cooler)

Featured by NCIXEsther: Titan-Stuffed 250D

Custom mounting, but you can notice a few holes drilled into the base of it. Basically you will need to drill some holes in your case to screw down your pump. Just also put some sound/vibration dampening material between the pump casing and the case frame.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I've seen some pics of people using a mounting bracket (for a tube res) attached to the side of a radiator. How does that work?

Corsair Obsidian 250D | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Intel i7-4770k | Corsair h100i (with Noctua NF-F12) | G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Black 1TB | eVGA GTX Titan Black (+ ACX cooler)

Custom mounting, but you can notice a few holes drilled into the base of it. Basically you will need to drill some holes in your case to screw down your pump. Just also put some sound/vibration dampening material between the pump casing and the case frame.

Any dampening material in particular? Something I can pick up at Home Depot?

Plus, I think I know where I can put the pump/res now ... here.

But do I have to drill it? Can't I use some double-sided tape? Or maybe some zap-straps around that cross-brace on the case? Or maybe a combination of the two? Or add a third/fourth zap strap to keep the first two zap straps close together. Kind of like the letter "H", where the vertical lines are holding the res/pump in place, and the horizontal line is holding the vertical lines in place.

The case is made of thick (something like 2 mm) aluminum. And I don't have any powertools.

For dampening material, use anything. Some thick foam, Styrofoam, even thick double sided taped. Just something to help absorb the vibration. And no, don't need to drill. You just need to be positive it is very secure. Those motors spin very fast and vibrate, so you need to make sure they are, and stay, secure. A bunch of zip straps and tape should do ok.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I'm pretty sure UN Designs makes a mounting bracket that could work. After getting some sleep assuming you are using 120mm fans I believe it is the Z2 they also have the Z3 for 140's