Windows activation

Eagleye002

Hi

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I havent been able to find relevant threads.

I currently have a laptop that came preinstalled with W10 home and the activation page says that the product key is linked to my microsoft account.

Im planning to build a second pc and would rather not have to buy windows 10 if i can avoid it. Some of my friends have told me from their personal experience that simply logging into my microsoft account on the new pc should activate windows without actually deactivating it on the laptop as I want both PCs to be fully functionally. However I know that it is only anecdotal so I wanted to check.

Since I have a windows key connected to my MS account, does that mean that a second key is not required to activate my new PC as long as I use the same MS account, and will doing so deactivate the windows on my laptop in the process.

If this doesnt work Ill just have to buy a second key.

Thanks for the help, sorry if its a dumb qn

3 minutes ago, Eagleye002 said:

Hi

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I havent been able to find relevant threads.

I currently have a laptop that came preinstalled with W10 home and the activation page says that the product key is linked to my microsoft account.

Im planning to build a second pc and would rather not have to buy windows 10 if i can avoid it. Some of my friends have told me from their personal experience that simply logging into my microsoft account on the new pc should activate windows without actually deactivating it on the laptop as I want both PCs to be fully functionally. However I know that it is only anecdotal so I wanted to check.

Since I have a windows key connected to my MS account, does that mean that a second key is not required to activate my new PC as long as I use the same MS account, and will doing so deactivate the windows on my laptop in the process.

Thanks for the help, sorry if its a dumb qn

you cant use 1 key across differnet devices.

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

Hey there.

30 minutes ago, Eagleye002 said:

Hm. I believe Windows 10 licenses pre-installed on laptops are a bit touchy and non-transferable? Something about OEM licenses. Although, I personally haven't tried to transfer a license from a laptop to a PC before, and I'm not sure whether having a license linked to your MS account affects anything. Someone else could correct me if I'm mistaken.

If you need a guide on how to transfer your Windows 10 license from one system to another, I'd recommend the How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer on GroovyPost. Before you jump the gun, however, I'd recommend you read the "Determine if your Windows 10 License can be Transferred" section, just to double-check if your license is or is not transferrable.

30 minutes ago, Eagleye002 said:

Im planning to build a second pc and would rather not have to buy windows 10 if i can avoid it.

Yep, I know that feels. Two things to note:

• You can install Windows 10 OS to your new PC and use it (albeit with restricted personalization and other features) without needing to activate a license; all you need is a USB drive. If you'd like a guide, check out Microsoft's Download Windows 10 install guide.
  • If you're a student or a school faculty member (high school, colleges, and universities), check on OnTheHub to see whether your school has any special discounts/privileges (read: free stuff) on software for you. I got my Windows 10 Education license for nada that way. I believe all you need is an active .edu email, if you and/or your school qualifies.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

3 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Hey there.

Hm. I believe Windows 10 licenses pre-installed on laptops are a bit touchy and non-transferable? Something about OEM licenses. Although, I personally haven't tried to transfer a license from a laptop to a PC before, and I'm not sure whether having a license linked to your MS account affects anything. Someone else could correct me if I'm mistaken.

If you need a guide on how to transfer your Windows 10 license from one system to another, I'd recommend the How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer on GroovyPost. Before you jump the gun, however, I'd recommend you read the "Determine if your Windows 10 License can be Transferred" section, just to double-check if your license is or is not transferrable.

Yep, I know that feels. Two things to note:

• You can install Windows 10 OS to your new PC and use it (albeit with restricted personalization and other features) without needing to activate a license; all you need is a USB drive. If you'd like a guide, check out Microsoft's Download Windows 10 install guide.
  • If you're a student or a school faculty member (high school, colleges, and universities), check on OnTheHub to see whether your school has any special discounts/privileges (read: free stuff) on software for you. I got my Windows 10 Education license for nada that way. I believe all you need is an active .edu email, if you and/or your school qualifies.

Hey

Thanks for the detailed reply and for the links, ill def check them out