Installing old hard drive in new PC trips some circuit breaker in power supply/graphics card.

So I just bought myself a new PC and wanted to transfer an old hard drive from my old PC into the new one. Whenever I connect the HDD to the PSU and try to turn the PC on, the RGB of the graphics card turns on, briefly, then turns off again. Nothing happens afterwards. I have no idea what is causing it since I'm quite sure I've plugged everything in correctly, but am very worried that there might be something wrong with the PSU. Can you guys help me troubleshoot it? I will need it running on the new PC soon, so I'm quite worried.

The new PC already has an M.2 SSD with Windows 10 installed.

As far as I know, the old HDD is not bootable.

Thanks in advance!

Does it only happen after you add the old hard drive? If so, maybe you broke the PCB on the hard drive while removing it, or there's metal debris on the PCB, and it's causing a short.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Also maybe post some specs so some can see if its a hardware incompatibility and such.
The more you share the easier the solution might be found.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Thank you very much for the reply :)

The only reference that I could find was "The M.2_1 socket shars bandwidth with SATA6G_2 port when using M.2 SATA mode device. Ajust BIOS settings to use X2 mode (PCIE only)"?

The motherboard is a ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151, and the manual that I found was this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/392136.pdf

Can you specify what you mean by "shared"? Whas that what I mentioned before? If not, then is there a general way to avoid that (BIOS and such) or should I just try another SATA 

Again, thanks for the reply.

2 minutes ago, Christoffer S. H. said:

Thank you very much for the reply :)

The only reference that I could find was "The M.2_1 socket shars bandwidth with SATA6G_2 port when using M.2 SATA mode device. Ajust BIOS settings to use X2 mode (PCIE only)"?

The motherboard is a ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151, and the manual that I found was this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/392136.pdf

Can you specify what you mean by "shared"? Whas that what I mentioned before? If not, then is there a general way to avoid that (BIOS and such) or should I just try another SATA 

Again, thanks for the reply.

Very simply put, you can only use either M.2_1 or SATA6G_2. Not both at the same time.

11 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Also maybe post some specs so some can see if its a hardware incompatibility and such.
The more you share the easier the solution might be found.

The HDD is just a common Seagate "Deasktop SSHD 1000 GB" (Model: ST1000DX001)

The components of the new is PC are:

ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151 

Intel Core i5-9400F Processor

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 16GB 

ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 Ti DUAL EVO OC

Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ Gold PSU 

Samsung PM981 SSD 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD

2 minutes ago, Max1996LTT said:

Very simply put, you can only use either M.2_1 or SATA6G_2. Not both at the same time.

I am using M.2_1 and trying to use SATA6G_1, though.

I have tried multiple SATA6G sockets, but it seems like it doesnt matter. Even if I have the SATA cable disconnected, the system shuts down/doesnt start, as soon as the SATA power cable is connected.

24 minutes ago, iBabySlapper said:

Does it only happen after you add the old hard drive? If so, maybe you broke the PCB on the hard drive while removing it, or there's metal debris on the PCB, and it's causing a short.

It only happens when I connect the power cable to the old HDD yes. However the HDD works, I have tested it on another PC (which is worrisome).

3 minutes ago, Christoffer S. H. said:

I am using M.2_1 and trying to use SATA6G_1, though.

I have tried multiple SATA6G sockets, but it seems like it doesnt matter. Even if I have the SATA cable disconnected, the system shuts down/doesnt start, as soon as the SATA power cable is connected.

In your old PC, have you also used a HDD+SSD setup?

Just now, Max1996LTT said:

In your old PC, have you also used a HDD+SSD setup?

Yes. The only difference being that the old PC had a standart 2.5" SSD :) 

Just now, Christoffer S. H. said:

Yes. The only difference being that the old PC had a standart 2.5" SSD :) 

I see...Unfortunately, I'm of no help, in that case. Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Christoffer S. H. said:

It only happens when I connect the power cable to the old HDD yes. However the HDD works, I have tested it on another PC (which is worrisome).

Maybe it's the PSU cable, if you have some other device to test that power cable with (another HDD, SSD, Blu-Ray drive, DVD drive, etc.) it would be nice.

Even if you plugged your NVME SSD and your HDD into a shared port, it's not going to stop the PC from POSTing like in your case.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

2 minutes ago, iBabySlapper said:

Maybe it's the PSU cable, if you have some other device to test that power cable with (another HDD, SSD, Blu-Ray drive, DVD drive, etc.) it would be nice.

Even if you plugged your NVME SSD and your HDD into a shared port, it's not going to stop the PC from POSTing like in your case.

Thanks man :) I will try to see what I can find :) I have tried with other cables, so I dont think it is the cable, but by trying with other SSD's or drives I can see if the problem persists :)