Does bottlenecking increase the temp of a GPU?

edriangelo

I do have a RX570 and an i5 6400 pair, the temp of my processor is normal however it is reaching 100% load when gaming while my RX570 is getting up to 89c temp under 100% load, I've read somewhere that those temp are not good for RX570. So my question is does bottlenecking affects the temp? do I need to upgrade my processor?

Just now, edriangelo said:

I do have a RX570 and an i5 6400 pair, the temp of my processor is normal however it is reaching 100% load when gaming while my RX570 is getting up to 89c temp under 100% load, I've read somewhere that those temp are not good for RX570. So my question is does bottlenecking affects the temp? do I need to upgrade my processor?

Why do you think there is a bottlenecking situation? They are both running - as you say - at 100%.

Higher % load = higher temps.

Higher ambient temperature (temp in your room) = higher temps.

If you want it to run cooler, you need to change the videocard's fan curve to favor temperature over sound levels.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yes and no.

Yes: If your CPU is running at 100% it will produce more heat, and this will, to some extent, result in a higher temperature within your enclosure.

No: If the performance of your GPU is bottlenecked by your CPU, it will not produce more heat.

A more efficient CPU will help to get your CPU temps down, but you might also consider upgrading your CPU cooler and/or case ventilation. Especially if your goal is to decrease GPU temps, then also make sure your GPU cooler is getting enough cool air.

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Why do you think there is a bottlenecking situation? They are both running - as you say - at 100%.

Higher % load = higher temps.

Higher ambient temperature (temp in your room) = higher temps.

If you want it to run cooler, you need to change the videocard's fan curve to favor temperature over sound levels.

I've been watching gameplay videos using rx570 on yt, however the temp of their rx570 is not exceeding 70c. I also play the same game and the same settings, the only difference is that they are using a much more recent processor and their processor is not even exceeding 40% load. I just only think that because of the bottlenecking of my setup my rx570 is forcing itself and causing the High temps.

2 minutes ago, edriangelo said:

I've been watching gameplay videos using rx570 on yt, however the temp of their rx570 is not exceeding 70c. I also play the same game and the same settings, the only difference is that they are using a much more recent processor and their processor is not even exceeding 40% load. I just only think that because of the bottlenecking of my setup my rx570 is forcing itself and causing the High temps.

How warm it is in their room, compared to yours? If your room is 20C warmer in temps and/or your cooling setup is different, you will obviously get different temperatures.

Bottlenecking means one component is NOT running at 100%, because another is running at 100%. If they are both running at 100% (as you mentioned in your original post), there is no bottlenecking.

But to answer your original question:

if your GPU is being bottlenecked (e.g. running at 60%), it will have a lower temperature.

If your CPU is being bottlenecked (e.g. running at 40%), it will run at a lower temperature.

But neither of those situations is the case, according to your original post:

12 minutes ago, edriangelo said:

the temp of my processor is normal however it is reaching 100% load when gaming while my RX570 is getting up to 89c temp under 100% load

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

How warm it is in their room, compared to yours? If your room is 20C warmer in temps and/or your cooling setup is different, you will obviously get different temperatures.

Bottlenecking means one component is NOT running at 100%, because another is running at 100%. If they are both running at 100% (as you mentioned in your original post), there is no bottlenecking.

But to answer your original question:

if your GPU is being bottlenecked (e.g. running at 60%), it will have a lower temperature.

If your CPU is being bottlenecked (e.g. running at 40%), it will run at a lower temperature.

But neither of those situations is the case, according to your original post:

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I'll try to find a a better fan and try to position my cpu on a well ventilated space.