Can I uncompress photos?

Statik
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
4 minutes ago, Statik said:

Hey guys, so I know this is a shot in the dark, but a while ago someone sent me a bunch of photos that mean a lot to me over Whatsapp, and I just realized they're all 640x427. They look great on my phone, but they're obviously really small on my PC. Is there any way I can fix this? They're high quality photos, but I think they just got compressed coming through Whatsapp. Is there anything I can do? Or am I stuck with small pics?

The original quality pictures is really the only way to go.

But, of course there exist some upscaling algorithms.

Gigapixel AI and Waifu2x are what I would look into.

Result could be good or bad, just depends on the settings you're using and the picture as input. Keep in mind you'll never get the original quality.

Best is just to ask this person to upload it to Google Drive, share a link and you get the original files that way.

P.S. when using Waifu2x, be sure to check in the App Settings if the 'Use Processor' setting it set to CUDA. That way it uses your videocard, instead of your CPU and it's actually magnitudes faster.

Hey guys, so I know this is a shot in the dark, but a while ago someone sent me a bunch of photos that mean a lot to me over Whatsapp, and I just realized they're all 640x427. They look great on my phone, but they're obviously really small on my PC. Is there any way I can fix this? They're high quality photos, but I think they just got compressed coming through Whatsapp. Is there anything I can do? Or am I stuck with small pics?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

6 minutes ago, Statik said:

Cant you change the res of the picture in photoshop, I think i did that as a quick fix once for a few of my pictures. My soultion is too a shot in the dark :)

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

Result could be good or bad, just depends on the settings you're using and the picture as input. Keep in mind you'll never get the original quality.

Best is just to ask this person to upload it to Google Drive, share a link and you get the original files that way.

P.S. when using Waifu2x, be sure to check in the App Settings if the 'Use Processor' setting it set to CUDA. That way it uses your videocard, instead of your CPU and it's actually magnitudes faster.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, WambleCropped said:

Cant you change the res of the picture in photoshop, I think i did that as a quick fix once for a few of my pictures. My soultion is too a shot in the dark :)

Perhaps? I don't own photoshop unfortunately. Is there a similar free program I might be able to try?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Just now, Statik said:

Perhaps? I don't own photoshop unfortunately. Is there a similar free program I might be able to try?

I think there is a "photoshop lite" or whatever on the windows store. (however, I do not know if you change the res through that edition, also there is always the free trial too) I have no experince with this software but I have heard GIMP is similar to photoshop so maybe there?

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

1 hour ago, minibois said:

My man..

30 day tral of Gigapixel, and it's absolutely perfect. The ONLY issue is I can't resize to a custom resolution, so right now they're 1920x1281, but I assume that's fixable, and I'll be able to fix that somehow??

Thanks a bunch!

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

My man..

30 day tral of Gigapixel, and it's absolutely perfect. The ONLY issue is I can't resize to a custom resolution, so right now they're 1920x1281, but I assume that's fixable, and I'll be able to fix that somehow??

Thanks a bunch!

tbh, I only have ever used Waifu2x and only know about Gigapixel (never used it, because the former does everything I need it to do).

Sounds like Gigapixel 3x magnifies your pictures. That should be fine I think? You're not going to get 4K levels of quality in this day and age of technology.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, minibois said:

tbh, I only have ever used Waifu2x and only know about Gigapixel (never used it, because the former does everything I need it to do).

Sounds like Gigapixel 3x magnifies your pictures. That should be fine I think? You're not going to get 4K levels of quality in this day and age of technology.

Yeah no this is fine. I tried to figure out Waifu but it just looked so complicated and I didn't like it. Getting Gigapixel was quick and easy, and plus I had 37 photos to do, and it was finished in a matter of seconds. Thanks man!

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro