computer crashes whenever I quit any game on my computer.

Legolessed

Whenever I quit any game on my computer my computer crashes. Not like freezes but acts like i just unplugged and plugged in my psu. It's not my power dieing for a second because it reliably happens as soon as I press the quit button in game. The game itself runs great but for some reason it just dies.

Cpu specs if this helps

Cpu: xeon e3 1240v2

Memory: 8gb of hyperx ddr3 1600mhz

GPU: Rx 580 8gb and r7 250 (just for my second monitor i don't have a displayport cable to use with my rx 580 and i need the hdmi for my vr headset)

PSU: EVGA 650 watt (im actually not 100% sure of this because the sticker came off a while ago but thats what i remember) sorry

storage: 240gb Sata SSD and 640gb hard drive

Thank you so much!

What happens if you remove the R7 250, run a game on the RX580, and close the Game?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

@Legolessed

🤔 What is the make and model of your motherboard? Is the bios for it up to date along with the operating system? Do you have the power plan set to "high performance"? How long have you had this computer?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

10 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

What happens if you remove the R7 250, run a game on the RX580, and close the Game?

ok i can try that

1 minute ago, BlackManINC said:

@Legolessed

🤔 What is the make and model of your motherboard? Is the bios for it up to date along with the operating system? Do you have the power plan set to "high performance"? How long have you had this computer?

how did i forget to add that xD intel extreme dz77ga-70k. Yes i think i have my power plan set to high performance. can that cause issues?

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

ok i can try that

how did i forget to add that xD intel extreme dz77ga-70k. Yes i think i have my power plan set to high performance. can that cause issues?

Not really, its best you have it set to high performance actually. Is the bios version current? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 minute ago, BlackManINC said:

Not really, its best you have it set to high performance actually. Is the bios version current? 

yes, its the latest possible one. I dont really think thats the issue though. This just randomly started happening more and more. Before it was just with the game from the depths which i thought was just the game but then it started happening with beatsaber and everything else. 

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

yes, its the latest possible one. I dont really think thats the issue though. This just randomly started happening more and more. Before it was just with the game from the depths which i thought was just the game but then it started happening with beatsaber and everything else. 

Ok, so what is the serial number for the motherboard? This also might be a software related issue. It could be an application causing it, your anti-virus program being chief among them. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

44 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Ok, so what is the serial number for the motherboard? This also might be a software related issue. It could be an application causing it, your anti-virus program being chief among them. 

what woul the serial number help with? sorry. I didn't really install anything so idk what would cause it, and its across mutliple games. On steam and minecraft too. 

3 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

still crashes. I also checked to see if all of my drivers and everything were up to date and they are

39 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

what woul the serial number help with? sorry. I didn't really install anything so idk what would cause it, and its across mutliple games. On steam and minecraft too. 

It tells you the actual age of the computer, when it was manufactured. If its up to ten years old, its about time to hang it up and buy a new one. I'm guessing its fairly old since its using DDR3 ram. So you don't have any third party antivirus application? If so, it could be causing the games to crash, happened to me once. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

It tells you the actual age of the computer, when it was manufactured. If its up to ten years old, its about time to hang it up and buy a new one. I'm guessing its fairly old since its using DDR3 ram. So you don't have any third party antivirus application? If so, it could be causing the games to crash, happened to me once. 

oh yes the motherboard is quite old. I bought motherboard secondhand a few years ago and the previous owner has also been using it for quite some time. I dont think it is an antivirus problem because the only one i have installed is malwarebytes and i have had it installed for forever. I dont really think it would be a hardware problem because it happens at the precise moment i quit the game which is a weird time for it to crash. Idk

4 hours ago, Legolessed said:

oh yes the motherboard is quite old. I bought motherboard secondhand a few years ago and the previous owner has also been using it for quite some time. I dont think it is an antivirus problem because the only one i have installed is malwarebytes and i have had it installed for forever. I dont really think it would be a hardware problem because it happens at the precise moment i quit the game which is a weird time for it to crash. Idk

Yeah well, I'd just bite the bullet and buy a new motherboard. It might be worn out. I'm pretty sure that is the issue since the crashing got worse overtime. The power supply would be the only other culprit I can think of, but I doubt it. I wouldn't buy any motherboard that cost less than $200. Once you go below that price, its not guaranteed that the voltage regulator modules for it will be worth the dirt we stand on, it becomes very hit or miss. You get what you pay for when it comes to I.T devices, and when it comes to motherboards, its not just the features you'll be paying for, but also how well it can handle stress from high performance applications like video games. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@Legolessed

Yeah, looking at the reviews for your motherboard like the one linked below, I'm not surprised you are having problems with it, old or not. I consider any motherboard review stating you should express caution when overclocking a huge red flag. I don't know what that tells others, but what that tells me is that it really can't handle that much stress beyond what apps like Microsoft Office or Adobe Acrobat would put on it. If the price tag is less than $200, I at least express caution, but when it says it doesn't perform well when overclocking, I simply tell people to avoid it like the plague. 🙅‍♂️

Link: Intel DZ77GA-70K review

"At stock speeds the Intel DZ77GA-70K is a decent board, keeping up with the likes of the ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional.

Sadly, it doesn't offer as solid performance when it comes to overclocking."

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I would say it's a power problem.
When you quit a heavy application it creates a power spike on the component processing it.
I would guess somewhere along the chain something is failing to control the spike which is causing the PSU to cut out.
So it's most likely your PSU, but can also be the motherboard.

It's not a race to the bottom.

9 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

When you quit a heavy application it creates a power spike on the component processing it.
I would guess somewhere along the chain something is failing to control the spike which is causing the PSU to cut out.

🤔 He'd have to find out what the exact make and model of his power supply is to get any indication of it being a dud or not. But whatever the case may be with the PSU, I'm still about 90% certain the motherboard is the main issue. Reading the reviews saying its shitty when overclocking tells me the VRM's for it ain't worth the salt of the earth. It doesn't handle power spikes well, which is exactly what you say happens whenever you quit very demanding applications. 👍👍

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 He'd have to find out what the exact make and model of his power supply is to get any indication of it being a dud or not. But whatever the case may be with the PSU, I'm still about 90% certain the motherboard is the main issue. Reading the reviews saying its shitty when overclocking tells me the VRM's for it ain't worth the salt of the earth. It doesn't handle power spikes well, which is exactly what you say happens whenever you quit very demanding applications. 👍👍

1 hour ago, 0x1e said:

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

@Legolessed

Yeah, looking at the reviews for your motherboard like the one linked below, I'm not surprised you are having problems with it, old or not. I consider any motherboard review stating you should express caution when overclocking a huge red flag. I don't know what that tells others, but what that tells me is that it really can't handle that much stress beyond what apps like Microsoft Office or Adobe Acrobat would put on it. If the price tag is less than $200, I at least express caution, but when it says it doesn't perform well when overclocking, I simply tell people to avoid it like the plague. 🙅‍♂️

Link: Intel DZ77GA-70K review

"At stock speeds the Intel DZ77GA-70K is a decent board, keeping up with the likes of the ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional.

Sadly, it doesn't offer as solid performance when it comes to overclocking."

i mean i guess that would explain it. tbh my laptop has a better cpu than my desktop its just the rx 580 that i miss. I wish there was a thunderbolt 3 dock that didnt cost more than the price of my graphics card though xD

27 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i mean i guess that would explain it. tbh my laptop has a better cpu than my desktop its just the rx 580 that i miss. I wish there was a thunderbolt 3 dock that didnt cost more than the price of my graphics card though xD

🙂.....I would just save up and get a good motherboard, and go from there. You'll be fine with the RX 580 for a little while longer, so you needn't worry about that. You might as well consider this motherboard a dud. Non-overclockable motherboards are just not designed to handle high performance applications. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

10 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🙂.....I would just save up and get a good motherboard, and go from there. You'll be fine with the RX 580 for a little while longer, so you needn't worry about that. You might as well consider this motherboard a dud. Non-overclockable motherboards are just not designed to handle high performance applications. 

i mean right now the used market is not really worth it and even if i went for a ryzen 3 3100, a cheap motherboard, ram, and hope my psu is still ok, thats still a lot of money. I just wish there was a cheap egpu dock, like how are they so expensive! sorry