Please help! My GPU may be failing.

Hello, for the last 2-3 weeks my machine has been letting off terrible burning/plastic smells.
I got advise it was maybe my PSU, I replaced that and the smell was still present.
Now I have dug deeper by removing all parts in the pc till something became apparent.

i7 7700
GTX 1080 ftw evga
16gb 2133mhz ram
msi h11om pro-vd motherboard
FSP Hyper 500w PSU

The graphics card is no older than 1.5 years, so I thought it'll be the last thing to die from this list.
Visually everything looks good, the case is clean. Yet I get nasty smells on higher load from gaming/watching streams/multi-tasking.

Ran tests using evga's software, said the card was really good. Never went over 65 for high demanding usage.

Removed the GPU back and replaced the thermal.

I'm out of ideas guys!

Any ideas guys? I am willing to replace a whole bunch if needed!

Thanks!

1 minute ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

Check cappacitors on your Motherboard on that side where your Motherboard have 4 Pin conectors, and I didnt understand did you already change Thermal Paste or you planing to doit.

Hey thanks for the reply. 

I have visually checked the PC and cleaned it multiple times and looks fine. 

I have already changed the thermal, about -2c better in results, but still a consistent smell.  

1 minute ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

It can be million problems, but I would say its Motherboard do not know maybe am wrong but I suggest you start from your Mobo try to use other motherbaord if someone can give you to try out and also try to run system out of PC case. You can smell from what place plastic burns. Try first with your Mobo.

I am tempted to just upgrade parts if I'm completely honest, but Unsure if graphics card should be included with the current worry.

1 hour ago, wicked1001 said:

I am tempted to just upgrade parts if I'm completely honest, but Unsure if graphics card should be included with the current worry.

Can you locate where the smell is ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

11 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Can you locate where the smell is ?

Yeah, it's either graphics card or motherboard.

All my temps are fine.. one of the motherboards goes near 60c but nothing scary.

17 minutes ago, wicked1001 said:

Yeah, it's either graphics card or motherboard.

All my temps are fine.. one of the motherboards goes near 60c but nothing scary.

If I recall correctly you didn't mention the age of the mobo 

So how old is it 

And are you 1000% sure it's not the PSU 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If I recall correctly you didn't mention the age of the mobo 

So how old is it 

And are you 1000% sure it's not the PSU 

Ah the motherboard is older than most yeah, like 3 years old possibly.

I just replaced the PSU as I thought that was the issue, but no smells coming from that area.

2 minutes ago, wicked1001 said:

Ah the motherboard is older than most yeah, like 3 years old possibly.

I just replaced the PSU as I thought that was the issue, but no smells coming from that area.

It could be the mobo 

Can you try if possible put the GPU in another system and see if the smell is gone 

I don't recommend using the pc until a diagnose appears it is more or less  dangerous 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

It could be the mobo 

Can you try if possible put the GPU in another system and see if the smell is gone 

I don't recommend using the pc until a diagnose appears it is more or less  dangerous 

I do not have another system to test :/ I did visual checks, nothing seems out of place. Is there another way of seeing?

Because if it's infact the motherboard, I'll be needing to replace the CPU and Ram.

Just now, wicked1001 said:

I'll be needing to replace the CPU and Ram.

Why?

do not have another system to test :/ I did visual checks, nothing seems out of place. Is there another way of seeing?

Try seeing th vrms and capacitors and mosfets of the mobo maybe try looking from the side and if the mobo has a heatsinks remove it to look underneath it and check the side of the mobo where the vrms and mosfets and capacitors are and see if there is anything loose or burned or maybe the soldering is getting melted and removed slowly 

And if possible send a picture and maybe I can tell 

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Why?

Try seeing th vrms and capacitors and mosfets of the mobo maybe try looking from the side and if the mobo has a heatsinks remove it to look underneath it and check the side of the mobo where the vrms and mosfets and capacitors are and see if there is anything loose or burned or maybe the soldering is getting melted and removed slowly 

Well technically I don't, but it'll be good to keep up to date on better parts.

I'd rather not take it apart as I'm not too familiar with pc's in general. But I'll be happy to send over some pictures in 30-40 mins

28 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Why?

I cant see anything out of place personally, what do you think?

20200510_103034.jpg

20200510_103057.jpg

20200510_103108.jpg

3 minutes ago, wicked1001 said:

I cant see anything out of place personally, what do you think?

20200510_103034.jpg

20200510_103057.jpg

20200510_103108.jpg

I know this is a hassle and I'm sorry

But can you take a picture from the side 

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I know this is a hassle and I'm sorry

But can you take a picture from the side 

Like this?

20200510_104227.jpg

20200510_104255.jpg

4 minutes ago, wicked1001 said:

Like this?

20200510_104227.jpg

20200510_104255.jpg

Yes thank you 

Build Log: 

42 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Yes thank you 

What are we thinking? 

What are we thinking? 

I don't know I'm not seeing anything obvious but I still don't recommend using it (at least heavily using it ) until you get access for a spare mobo 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

I don't know I'm not seeing anything obvious but I still don't recommend using it (at least heavily using it ) until you get access for a spare mobo 

No way of getting a spare right now. But I am willing to invest money into a few bits.

I'd personally like a 3rd gen AMD or 9th gen Intel and 3000-3200MHZ ram. Very unsure on motherboards, clearly my choices haven't been good!

Any parts you'd recommend for someone who games and does graphics work?

1 minute ago, wicked1001 said:

No way of getting a spare right now. But I am willing to invest money into a few bits.

I'd personally like a 3rd gen AMD or 9th gen Intel and 3000-3200MHZ ram. Very unsure on motherboards, clearly my choices haven't been good!

Any parts you'd recommend for someone who games and does graphics work?

Unless you were planning on upgrading your parts either way 

But I don't want to say it's the mobo and you end up dump alot of money into a new PC 

Because I'm not 100% it's the mobo

But if your planning on getting a new PC either way I guess I suppose what's your budget ? (For the parts)

Build Log: 

Unless you were planning on upgrading your parts either way 

But I don't want to say it's the mobo and you end up dump alot of money into a new PC 

Because I'm not 100% it's the mobo

But if your planning on getting a new PC either way I guess I suppose what's your budget ? (For the parts)

Yeah I get what you're saying as the smell comes from the GPU side. Worth noting I took the back plate off and applied new thermal paste and changed the software on EVGA so the fans aren't just ideal like they were.

Budget max £700

Yeah I get what you're saying as the smell comes from the GPU side. Worth noting I took the back plate off and applied new thermal paste and changed the software on EVGA so the fans aren't just ideal like they were.

Budget max £700

Were you planning on upgrading either way 

Because as I said I'm not 100% sure that it is the mobo and I don't recommend dumping money on new parts unless your planning on upgrading 😅

Build Log: 

Were you planning on upgrading either way 

Because as I said I'm not 100% sure that it is the mobo and I don't recommend dumping money on new parts unless your planning on upgrading 😅

Yeah I was looking into it.

3 minutes ago, wicked1001 said:

Yeah I was looking into it.

For 700 pounds 

For cpu mobo ram right ?

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

For 700 pounds 

For cpu mobo ram right ?

Yes please :)

6 minutes ago, wicked1001 said:

Yes please :)

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $294.14 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard $259.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $93.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $648.12
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-10 06:54 EDT-0400  

This is what I thought would be pretty good 

The 3700x has stupid good  ipc count with the new memory controller that is amazing and the better ccx and chache layout and latency 

And the trident z are Samsung b dies that will pair nicely 

The only thing I'm sketch about is the mobo I heared good and bad things about the carbon line up but 99% of x570 boards don't have a price on PC part picker  so I recommend watching gamer Nexus review on best and worst boards for x570 or going to the mobo list in the forums and see which one is good for you

Hope this helps :D

Build Log: