Rx 5700 xt flickering

HairyPotter
Go to solution Solved by CPT_BEEMO,
10 minutes ago, HairyPotter said:

Could you elaborate further on how to test older driver versions to become more stable like 19.12.2 ? Because i don’t know much

also the latest driver supposedly fixed all previous problems while it sucked for me

also could it be an hdmi issue? Because my cable is pretty old and bad 

There are a lot of things you can try in order to rule out the concern. Due to the black screening only being an intermittent issue, all you can do is try a different cable, try a different display or try a different driver, see if your black screen issue or any other issue for that matter becomes present, take a look at how the GPU performs on that driver as far as VRAM usage, GPU utilization, temperatures, etc.

One driver might be perfect for one users card, but horrible for yours. Like I said, your mileage will vary. I did two things to help the performance of my card:

1. Undervolt the GPU -100mV

2. Set a more aggressive fan curve to help keep the temps down. (I use GPUTweak II, not Radeon Settings). Use whichever client your brand of card comes with to set these types of settings. I do not trust Radeon Settings at all.

So i newly built my pc with the rx 5700 xt and ryzen 7 2700x and updated all drivers, i am getting slight flickering every now and then on my screen and i have no idea how to fix it even though i have the latest rdna drivers

16 minutes ago, HairyPotter said:

So i newly built my pc with the rx 5700 xt and ryzen 7 2700x and updated all drivers, i am getting slight flickering every now and then on my screen and i have no idea how to fix it even though i have the latest rdna drivers

vsync?

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

2 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

vsync?

How do i turn that off? I don’t think it’s on

Just now, HairyPotter said:

How do i turn that off? I don’t think it’s on

I mean I might be the way to fix it by turning it on. Probaly not though. Could you inlcude a video of the flickering? Does the flickering only happen in games or just anytime. (Vsync would only work for games)

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

1 minute ago, WambleCropped said:

I mean I might be the way to fix it by turning it on. Probaly not though. Could you inlcude a video of the flickering? Does the flickering only happen in games or just anytime. (Vsync would only work for games)

All the time on desktop and other things I’ll try to record but it’s so random it will be tricky

Just now, HairyPotter said:

All the time on desktop and other things I’ll try to record but it’s so random it will be tricky

okay, so that could be a problem with the monitor itself. How bad is the flickering?

3 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

okay, so that could be a problem with the monitor itself. How bad is the flickering?

Not too bad like it would randomly show a black bar or go full black for 1 second every 7 minutes or so

1 minute ago, HairyPotter said:

Not too bad like it would randomly show a black bar or go full black for 1 second every 7 minutes or so

yeah that definitley sounds like a faulty monitor

4 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

I am using my tv actually until my monitor arrives, it has been working absolutely okay for the past 2 years so i don’t think it’s the problem

4 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

While it could be this, AMD has released many many many many......... common and well known issues for the 5700 series GPU, which includes intermittent black screens. I am no stranger to these issues as well, as I own the reference card and have gone through almost every single driver since the card was released.

Driver version 19.12.2 so far has been the most stable version for my card, with the most up to date Recommended WQHL driver from March 5th being a close second. That being said, no card is made identically and your mileage may vary. I would recommend trying an older driver to see if the concern changes, worsens, whatever the case may be. Please ensure to use DDU in Safe Mode (Have the driver you want to install already downloaded and easily accessible, and have all windows updates paused during this procedure) to uninstall all old drivers. Once you are back in the desktop and out of safe mode, install the drivers and test. 

Unfortunately its very much trial and error with driver problems, if this actually is the issue (Thanks AMD).

Outside of that, It could also be a display issue, but given AMD's track record for failing to provide a solid driver for new GPU's I am on the fence.

Best of luck.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

8 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

While it could be this, AMD has released many many many many......... common and well known issues for the 5700 series GPU, which includes intermittent black screens. I am no stranger to these issues as well, as I own the reference card and have gone through almost every single driver since the card was released.

Driver version 19.12.2 so far has been the most stable version for my card, with the most up to date Recommended WQHL driver from March 5th being a close second. That being said, no card is made identically and your mileage may vary. I would recommend trying an older driver to see if the concern changes, worsens, whatever the case may be. Please ensure to use DDU in Safe Mode (Have the driver you want to install already downloaded and easily accessible, and have all windows updates paused during this procedure) to uninstall all old drivers. Once you are back in the desktop and out of safe mode, install the drivers and test. 

Unfortunately its very much trial and error with driver problems, if this actually is the issue (Thanks AMD).

Outside of that, It could also be a display issue, but given AMD's track record for failing to provide a solid driver for new GPU's I am on the fence.

Best of luck.

Could you elaborate further on how to test older driver versions to become more stable like 19.12.2 ? Because i don’t know much

also the latest driver supposedly fixed all previous problems while it sucked for me

There are a lot of things you can try in order to rule out the concern. Due to the black screening only being an intermittent issue, all you can do is try a different cable, try a different display or try a different driver, see if your black screen issue or any other issue for that matter becomes present, take a look at how the GPU performs on that driver as far as VRAM usage, GPU utilization, temperatures, etc.

One driver might be perfect for one users card, but horrible for yours. Like I said, your mileage will vary. I did two things to help the performance of my card:

2. Set a more aggressive fan curve to help keep the temps down. (I use GPUTweak II, not Radeon Settings). Use whichever client your brand of card comes with to set these types of settings. I do not trust Radeon Settings at all.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

26 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

I have the nitro + varient and will try these Things now

I have the nitro + varient and will try these Things now

If you are going to do an undervolt, I will set the expectation right now that you will not likely gain any performance from doing so, but what will you will see is lower temperatures with a very negligible, if any, drop in performance. I ran a 2 hour heaven stress test and saw my temps go from 95 degrees celsius (out of the box config) to 84 degrees celsius with an aggressive fan curve and no undervolt, and finally down to about 79 degrees celsius on the same fan tweaked fan curve and the -100 mV undervolt. I did not see any more than a 2-5 fps drop in certain scenes on Heaven, which is negligible enough for me personally.

3 hours ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

If you are going to do an undervolt, I will set the expectation right now that you will not likely gain any performance from doing so, but what will you will see is lower temperatures with a very negligible, if any, drop in performance. I ran a 2 hour heaven stress test and saw my temps go from 95 degrees celsius (out of the box config) to 84 degrees celsius with an aggressive fan curve and no undervolt, and finally down to about 79 degrees celsius on the same fan tweaked fan curve and the -100 mV undervolt. I did not see any more than a 2-5 fps drop in certain scenes on Heaven, which is negligible enough for me personally.

Just so you know i found the problem, the gpu runs like a dream turns out it’s just a faulty old hdmi cable!

17 minutes ago, HairyPotter said:

Just so you know i found the problem, the gpu runs like a dream turns out it’s just a faulty old hdmi cable!

WONDERFUL!

If you end up getting yourself a PC monitor for your build, switch it up to displayport if youre going with 144hz or higher refresh rates! But other than that, I am glad you got it figured out my friend!

I should add in that the undervolt is usually a good idea for the blower style reference card like mine, as the heatsink on them is small versus custom cards that really worked out good cooling solutions on those cards. On top of that, if you have no issues with the card on a driver standpoint, stay with the version youre on.