EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Gaming XC too HOT?

Ervinoo
Go to solution Solved by jones177,

I have had a 2080 ti XC since October 2018. It is the hottest card I have ever owned. The 2 fan, 2 slot design is totally inadequate for the GPU and that is probably why the Ultra version exists.  

All the cards I have owned before would freeze or artifact before the cooling solution gave out and that includes the GTX 980, 980 ti, 1080 and 1080 ti(all 2 fan, 2 slot cards).  The XC is the opposite.

For air cooling I consider my FTW3 Ultra the minimum with this chip. it runs from 2040 to 2070mhz with the stock fan curve with a 24/7 overclock. The XC runs 10c hotter set up the same way.

What gets the hottest on the card is the vram and it does not heat and cool while playing like the GPU. It just gets hotter and hotter until it heat soaks the card. 

Not only the case but the air around the case is very important running this card. The case I use is an old HAF X. To get the case to work with the XC I had to add another 200mm exhaust fan so it ended up having two 200mm intake fans and two 200mm exhaust fans. That was still not enough for the XC so I moved the computer from the bedroom to the living room where there is enough airflow around the case to not allow a build up of hot air. It now runs 5c cooler so it clocks up higher and that allows me to run it with a slight overclock if needed.   

Hello!

Not too long ago I have built my PC and all was running fine, however, I never really paid any attention to my tempratures, I realised my fan curve is at 80 - 100 while gaming which does sound like a jet engine btw, still runs the car at approx 75 - 80c. Now i dont know if thats considered a safe temprature but I have my worries. Maybe my NZXT H510 Elite has bad airflow? or might it just be me being paranoid? Is it a safe temprature and are there any ways of reducing it?? I have the stock fans that come with the case as shown - 

Also my front radiator fans are intaking are and the back is pushing air out, is that a issue of any sort?

Thanks!!

20200509_124244.jpg

20200509_124250.jpg

20200509_124255.jpg

the case doesn't have mesh

what are your specs?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

the case doesn't have mesh

what are your specs?

I have a i9 9900k fitted with a kraken x62, 32Gb of DDR4 RAM running at 3600Mhz an Aorus z390 Pro, 1Tb HHD / SSD with the 2080 Ti. Any suggestions on some cases I could change it too?

look for mesh and something that will fit your build and a lot of fans supported

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, wall03 said:

look for mesh and something that will fit your build and a lot of fans supported

I had a look at the CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X, it supports a lot of fans, you think it's maybe worth it?

2 minutes ago, Ervinoo said:

I had a look at the CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X, it supports a lot of fans, you think it's maybe worth it?

that looks a bit expensive but if you can afford it then.. no it is not

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, yaboistar said:

choked out front panel that can't get any air into the case, 2080Ti is just recycling all it's hot air. i'm not surprised at all.

go take that front glass off and the temperatures will drop

supporting a lot of fans doesn't mean a thing if those fans have absolutely no room to bite into any air. you can have as many fans as you like but if you've only got a centimetre or so between the glass and the fans it's always going to be bad.

Thank you, I'll have a look right now ;)

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

that looks a bit expensive but if you can afford it then.. no it is not

how about thus one?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/iCUE-220T-RGB-Airflow-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-Smart-Case/p/CC-9011173-WW

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

I have had a 2080 ti XC since October 2018. It is the hottest card I have ever owned. The 2 fan, 2 slot design is totally inadequate for the GPU and that is probably why the Ultra version exists.  

All the cards I have owned before would freeze or artifact before the cooling solution gave out and that includes the GTX 980, 980 ti, 1080 and 1080 ti(all 2 fan, 2 slot cards).  The XC is the opposite.

For air cooling I consider my FTW3 Ultra the minimum with this chip. it runs from 2040 to 2070mhz with the stock fan curve with a 24/7 overclock. The XC runs 10c hotter set up the same way.

What gets the hottest on the card is the vram and it does not heat and cool while playing like the GPU. It just gets hotter and hotter until it heat soaks the card. 

Not only the case but the air around the case is very important running this card. The case I use is an old HAF X. To get the case to work with the XC I had to add another 200mm exhaust fan so it ended up having two 200mm intake fans and two 200mm exhaust fans. That was still not enough for the XC so I moved the computer from the bedroom to the living room where there is enough airflow around the case to not allow a build up of hot air. It now runs 5c cooler so it clocks up higher and that allows me to run it with a slight overclock if needed.   

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

You should examine your temperatures at idle and under heavy usage like playing heavy demanding games. Idle temperature is 35-40c for me, while playing modern games gives me 60-80 maxed out and overclocked. That’s normal for my PC.

PS what you can do is change the airflow of the fans. I duno how many fans you have for the chassis, but it seems that it is 2 front fans and 1 back fan. I’d suggest keep the 2 fans on the front air intake, and the one on the back air outtake or exhaust. You need to vent out your case from hot air and that’s what exhaust fans are for.

7 minutes ago, LOD_ismynightmare said:

You should examine your temperatures at idle and under heavy usage like playing heavy demanding games. Idle temperature is 35-40c for me, while playing modern games gives me 60-80 maxed out and overclocked. That’s normal for my PC.

Also run your fans at max when gaming 

6 hours ago, LOD_ismynightmare said:

Idle I also run about 38 - 40c, My fan curve is at max when gaming for long periods but I don't go nor above 80c or below. Just wondering if it's safe for the 2080 Ti

6 hours ago, jones177 said:

Alright I see, I have read about the H510 Elite and the front panel is what really takes away the airflow, so I must be having an issue with my case not disposing air properly.. But is 80c under load a safe temprature? Should I really be this concerned? Thanks! :)))

1 hour ago, Ervinoo said:

Alright I see, I have read about the H510 Elite and the front panel is what really takes away the airflow, so I must be having an issue with my case not disposing air properly.. But is 80c under load a safe temprature? Should I really be this concerned? Thanks! :)))

Yes.

The big down clock comes at 84c. Make sure you have your power limit set the 130%.

Here is my card with its 24/7 overclock. It is designed to stay under 84c.

XCHeavenNoAA.thumb.jpg.fd018c250d53fae2ba6860ea34ba3980.jpg

This is the XC going full out with 100% on the fans. As you can see with a better cooling solution it could be a monster.

XCoc2020max2.thumb.jpg.03ffb866c7d0f0446db7599783792e3b.jpg

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

So, I did some tweaking here and there, took the front panel of as suggested and the temps went down from 77 - mid 60's - low 70's, a whole 10c drop, which is really nice. So, if there are any cases that you guys could suggest I would really like to have a look at it and possibly buy it since I do want to overclock my GPU. Anyways thank you all for the help! 

:))))))