Ram Xmp and motherboard

Go to solution Solved by porina,

Motherboard is H270 chipset which does not allow ram overclocking. Basically you can only run ram at the speed the CPU is rated to run ram at. Without an overclocking chipset, there isn't likely much you can do to alter performance. Just run what you have and don't worry about it. Differences outside of specific niche cases will not be different enough to worry about. 

37 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Either way since you are running Intel your not necessarily losing alot because faster ram mostly helps in situations where chache latency is a problem which is usually an AMD thing so your missing like 2-3% of the performance that you would have gotten

I'd argue Intel of that generation needed faster ram more than AMD of that generation. You basically need faster ram for bandwidth and/or latency if the data can't be held in cache. Where ram bandwidth limited, ram can make tens of % difference, but those use cases are relatively uncommon. 1st gen Ryzen was so weak it didn't matter. However, due to AMD's decision to tie the cache to the ram speed, that's where the apparent benefit came from. Not so much the ram performance itself, but it ran the cache faster. Zen 2 is different, with bigger cache and a half decent FPU, it starts to make more use of the ram bandwidth, at least it would if AMD didn't go and cripple the write bandwidth from a CCD.

Good Day,  

I have recently started to have interest in building Gaming PCs, so I tried to build my own one with a budget of 700 Dollars. 

And I must say, everything went well until I found out that it wasn't that easy as it sounded....

My problem is that I have no Idea if my motherboard can handle my ram. After installing everything, I tried to look at my BIOS and coudnt locate the Xmp section nor a way to overclock my ram. 

I have currently a Supermicro C7h270- cg-ml motherboard and bought 2x DDR4 3200 2400mhz with it.

One more thing is, that I bench marked my PC and it tells me that my ram is not using its full power. 

So, can anyone help me how I can fix the power problem with my ram? Or did I just mess up when I bought it? 

Any kind of information would be very helpful!

Thank you very much! 

https://www.supero.com/en/product-series/34-c7h270-cg-ml.html#product-features-tab-content

Frequency up to DDR4 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC Un-buffered 288-pin (UDIMM) gold-plated DIMMs

There's no information about XMP, or XMP support on the specs page, or in the manual, leading me to believe that it does not support XMP.

Manual overclocking may be possible in your BIOS, however I have no clue where this would be at. I have zero recent experience with Supermicro

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Thank you for the comment,

Yes there was absolutely nothing that can help me. Im not even sure if I did everything right, maybe I was just unlucky and bought one without the option. Which is super sad.

I have downloaded the SuperO Utility which tells me my current Freq and xmp, I assume.

But there is nowhere I can change the numbers. And no Sign of overclocking manually. 

Thank you for your help! I will research more.

25 minutes ago, Aron has no idea said:

Yes there was absolutely nothing that can help me. Im not even sure if I did everything right, maybe I was just unlucky and bought one without the option. Which is super sad.

I have downloaded the SuperO Utility which tells me my current Freq and xmp, I assume.

But there is nowhere I can change the numbers. And no Sign of overclocking manually. 

Thank you for your help! I will research more.

Either way since you are running Intel your not necessarily losing alot because faster ram mostly helps in situations where chache latency is a problem which is usually an AMD thing so your missing like 2-3% of the performance that you would have gotten

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

How can I reduce chache latency? I have bench marked my pc and it tells me that my storage is being"chached"? 

Thank you very much!

5 minutes ago, Aron has no idea said:

How can I reduce chache latency? I have bench marked my pc and it tells me that my storage is being"chached"? 

Thank you very much!

No chache latency is a problem that amd cpu's have and it's a physical thing and cannot be changed

But since your running Intel your good 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

I guess changing the hardware might be my next step then.

Thank You very much for your help! I really appreciate it !

1 minute ago, Aron has no idea said:

I guess changing the hardware might be my next step then.

Thank You very much for your help! I really appreciate it !

Ant time :D

Build Log: 

guess changing the hardware might be my next step then.

Not necessarily it's new and it is decent so just enjoy it for a while save up and then if you want you can upgrade but for now it's still decent

Build Log: 

Motherboard is H270 chipset which does not allow ram overclocking. Basically you can only run ram at the speed the CPU is rated to run ram at. Without an overclocking chipset, there isn't likely much you can do to alter performance. Just run what you have and don't worry about it. Differences outside of specific niche cases will not be different enough to worry about. 

37 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I'd argue Intel of that generation needed faster ram more than AMD of that generation. You basically need faster ram for bandwidth and/or latency if the data can't be held in cache. Where ram bandwidth limited, ram can make tens of % difference, but those use cases are relatively uncommon. 1st gen Ryzen was so weak it didn't matter. However, due to AMD's decision to tie the cache to the ram speed, that's where the apparent benefit came from. Not so much the ram performance itself, but it ran the cache faster. Zen 2 is different, with bigger cache and a half decent FPU, it starts to make more use of the ram bandwidth, at least it would if AMD didn't go and cripple the write bandwidth from a CCD.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

I'd argue Intel of that generation needed faster ram more than AMD of that generation

Really depends since amd's zen and ( zen +) had really bad memory controllers and as you said since and decided that cache latency depends on ram speeds it only made things worse 

And the fact that Intel's memory controller allows a max of 2933 to be actually utilized it gets to be a less of a problem for them 

Either way it really depends on the use case and I could be wrong and you could be correct :)

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Not necessarily it's new and it is decent so just enjoy it for a while save up and then if you want you can upgrade but for now it's still decent

I guess I should be happy with what I have right now yeah ;) thank you !

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Does that mean my choice of picking the motherboard or Cpu was poor ? Should that be the next step of changing my hardware if it gets  old?

3 minutes ago, Aron has no idea said:

Does that mean my choice of picking the motherboard or Cpu was poor ? Should that be the next step of changing my hardware if it gets  old?

What's your cpu exactly because if I recall correctly you didn't mention it 

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

And the fact that Intel's memory controller allows a max of 2933 to be actually utilized it gets to be a less of a problem for them 

Which one? H270 era I think would be Kaby Lake, I think that officially ran 2400 max. Skylake and the HEDT Haswells before it were 2133. But that was Intel being "safe". High speed ram at the time already ran to 3200 and beyond, if you didn't mind paying for it over slower grades.

Either way it really depends on the use case and I could be wrong and you could be correct :)

It always depends on the use case.

The mobo you mention is quite old by today's standards, and likewise the CPU would be from a generation several years ago. Which CPU did you get? That's not to say it is bad, but when on a limited budget people look for value, and that would depend on what you got, and how much it cost.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

The mobo you mention is quite old by today's standards, and likewise the CPU would be from a generation several years ago. Which CPU did you get? That's not to say it is bad, but when on a limited budget people look for value, and that would depend on what you got, and how much it cost.

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

What's your cpu exactly because if I recall correctly you didn't mention it 

Its a Core i7 7700. No I didn't mention it. My bad...

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Which one? H270 era I think would be Kaby Lake, I think that officially ran 2400 max. Skylake and the HEDT

Why my bad mixed between coffee lake and kaby lake

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Aron has no idea said:

It's still decent and will serve you good for 2 or so years to come 

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, Aron has no idea said:

It was high end when it came out, over 3 years ago. Today it is at more of an entry level position, but it decent for gaming and other uses. Just use it and have fun!

It was high end when it came out, over 3 years ago. Today it is at more of an entry level position, but it decent for gaming and other uses. Just use it and have fun!

It's still decent and will serve you good for 2 or so years to come 

Happy to hear that I didn't screw it up too badly ^^ Thank you both for the information!

Happy to hear that I didn't screw it up too badly ^^ Thank you both for the information!

Any time :D

Build Log: