I need a gaming laptop

So I convinced my parents to buy me a school laptop. I want to game on it. But they’re strict so can someone find me a good laptop that isn’t advertised as ‘gaming’ it’s so annoying seeing laptops that say GAMING on it. I saw another post about this but it’s kind of outdated.

oh and the budget is around 1500 USD

I’m looking for a laptop i can game on, that isn’t advertised as gaming. I saw another post about this but it’s outdated. my parents are strict so they won’t buy something if it’s GAMING. budget is $1500

sorry guys wrong forum. i’m new to this (^ω^)

the closest thing i think of is only the asus zenbook duo pro, with an rtx 2060, but its way too expensive. i dont think theres one that can work with you

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

12 hours ago, Reside said:

I’m looking for a laptop i can game on, that isn’t advertised as gaming. I saw another post about this but it’s outdated. my parents are strict so they won’t buy something if it’s GAMING. budget is $1500

Why exactly won’t they buy it because it’s gaming? Is it because they want you to work on the laptop and not game? 

Slightly Underhanded on your part. Why are people so bloody ungrateful about parents buying a grand an a half of laptop for them? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 2:21 AM, Reside said:

So I convinced my parents to buy me a school laptop. I want to game on it. But they’re strict so can someone find me a good laptop that isn’t advertised as ‘gaming’ it’s so annoying seeing laptops that say GAMING on it. I saw another post about this but it’s kind of outdated.

Honestly this is not a hard to one to sell to to your parents, any decent "gaming" laptop is all about the marketing and that is all you need to tell your parents. If a laptop advertises itself as a "gaming laptop" just remind them its marketing. Some companies will market a workstation as ultimate gaming if they could.

I owned an ASUS ROG G750JS for work purposes but used for heavy gaming at the time as well. Suited my need as I preferred the larger screen size and the added GPU for task specific work but it was ideal for the games that were out and I loved until I burned it out after 3 years of abuse. It was a solid machine and it was a beast but I took everywhere and it got used a lot.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:12 PM, Lord Vile said:

Slightly Underhanded on your part. Why are people so bloody ungrateful about parents buying a grand an a half of laptop for them? 

I have to agree on this point, there is no need to be underhanded about this. If you buying to do Work, School work or gaming its all the same so be honest about it. 

If you were my kid, I would already have an idea of what you would need for school and would be waiting for you to give the full explanation as to why you would want a $1500 laptop. If you admitted you wanted to be able to game my only reply would be... if you fail your classes you owe me the cost of the laptop.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 5/9/2020 at 4:12 PM, Lord Vile said:

Why exactly won’t they buy it because it’s gaming? Is it because they want you to work on the laptop and not game? 

Probably because they're old and think gaming in the devil. In a way, directing them to spend the same amount of money on a better device that you actually want, seems better than letting them spend the same on something you hate and will get outdated faster. He can be grateful just because he doesn't want them spending money on something he hates. That seems more disrespectful.

4 hours ago, BlueSpartan said:

Probably because they're old and think gaming in the devil. In a way, directing them to spend the same amount of money on a better device that you actually want, seems better than letting them spend the same on something you hate and will get outdated faster. He can be grateful just because he doesn't want them spending money on something he hates. That seems more disrespectful.

Or you could say I don't need the 1.5K I only need 750. 

Doesn't matter what they think misleading people is a dick move.

If you don't want it to get outdated get a MacBook for 1200 and be done with it.

Theres always parsec and cloud gaming. You can run just about anything with a potato now 🙂

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

Or you could say I don't need the 1.5K I only need 750. 

Doesn't matter what they think misleading people is a dick move.

If you don't want it to get outdated get a MacBook for 1200 and be done with it.

The $1200 MacBook begins its life outdated when it leaves the factory, lol. 8GB of ram, 2 generations old CPU, tiny SSD, webcam from 2010...

1 hour ago, BlueSpartan said:

The $1200 MacBook begins its life outdated when it leaves the factory, lol. 8GB of ram, 2 generations old CPU, tiny SSD, webcam from 2010...

8GB of RAM is fine for MacOS it's not running windows. The Air and 13" Pro both ship with 10th gen intel chips...

You also get 256GB of storage in both base models. Dunno what you'd want on there that takes up more than that much space when iCloud is cheap and works for all devices.

Webcam is again fine, most webcams are around the same quality, not really a shot at any laptop as all you'll be using it for is video calls where whatever the camera is capturing is compressed AF anyway. It's not like you're taking pictures with it. 

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

8GB of RAM is fine for MacOS it's not running windows. The Air and 13" Pro both ship with 10th gen intel chips...

You also get 256GB of storage in both base models. Dunno what you'd want on there that takes up more than that much space when iCloud is cheap and works for all devices.

Webcam is again fine, most webcams are around the same quality, not really a shot at any laptop as all you'll be using it for is video calls where whatever the camera is capturing is compressed AF anyway. It's not like you're taking pictures with it. 

The $1800 13'' ships with 10th gen. The $1200 model (with the education discount) ships with 8th gen and DDR3 memory. I've been in the market for the air or the pro. On the random mac forums users are reporting the bottom of the laptop on both models still roasts there legs even when just word processing browsing the internet. Frustrating. If I wanted to use it on a desk I'd buy a desktop.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:12 AM, Lord Vile said:

Imagine getting upset with a kid who wants to be able to play games and do school work on his new laptop in the middle of a pandemic. 

3 hours ago, Zoons said:

Imagine getting upset with a kid who wants to be able to play games and do school work on his new laptop in the middle of a pandemic. 

Oh no what a poor kid lying to his parents I’m sure he’ll keel over and die without being able to play fortnite. 

10 hours ago, BlueSpartan said:

The $1800 13'' ships with 10th gen. The $1200 model (with the education discount) ships with 8th gen and DDR3 memory. I've been in the market for the air or the pro. On the random mac forums users are reporting the bottom of the laptop on both models still roasts there legs even when just word processing browsing the internet. Frustrating. If I wanted to use it on a desk I'd buy a desktop.

What’s the point in getting the 2TB3 Pro...

Word processing or browsing the internet, they’re different workloads and downloading stuff uses a fair amount of CPU. Most ultrabooks get hot and most of their use is actually on a desk or table. 

On 5/9/2020 at 8:21 AM, Reside said:

2019 Dell XPS 15, so last year's model, but you can get a 1650 for entry level gaming for £1379 ( I imagine this would be less than $1500) with a very capable i7 9750h. Not as good value or as powerful as a 'gaming' laptop but should last you years and be amazing for school work

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

7 hours ago, Zoons said:

You can't expect Apple elitists to understand gaming, life beyond editing digital media, or fun in general. If he spent the money on a Steve Jobs statue to kiss every morning it'd probably be alright.

1 hour ago, marmour said:

2019 Dell XPS 15, so last year's model, but you can get a 1650 for entry level gaming for £1379 ( I imagine this would be less than $1500) with a very capable i7 9750h. Not as good value or as powerful as a 'gaming' laptop but should last you years and be amazing for school work

This is about as perfect as you can get per your requirements.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:40 PM, BlueSpartan said:

You can't expect Apple elitists to understand gaming, life beyond editing digital media, or fun in general. If he spent the money on a Steve Jobs statue to kiss every morning it'd probably be alright.

i'm considered as an apple elitist over here and i still enjoy gaming soooo please stop generalizing thank you

She/Her