Should I upgrade from Intel Xeon E3-1240 v2 to an Intel I7-3770?

It's my first time posting in Linus Tech Tips forum. I had this account for a while, but this is my first time posting something so I'm sorry for any mistakes I make.

Anyways my old ASRock B75M-GL R2.0 motherboard still refuses to die and I like pushing stuff to it's limits. After fast googling I found out that I7-3770 is a bit more powerful than my current xeon. Is there any sense in upgrading to the i7?

I have a RTX 2060 and 16GB of DDR3 1600 RAM in this box of junk. The idea is to squeeze every little bit of performance my current motherboard allows.

i7-3770k run through my mind at one point, but even if I manage to overclock it, the motherboard will just die I think, because it's half dead and some of the USB ports aren't working etc.

"Should a machine not function upon striking the panel marked "on" this is an omen of great ill. The reasons ascribed may be as follows. Firstly, the function of inadequate preparation on the part of the operator. Secondly, the action of the machine whose spirit may refuse the binding of the operator. Thirdly, the malintent of some third party upon the operator or machine. The operator must repeat the ritual from the beginning re-purifying himself, enscribing the runes, intoning the incantations, and striking the panel marked 'on'. An accompanying oath may be made. Should this procedure fail, the operator must recourse to consulting the instruction manual." -Runic Spaceflight - An Introduction: Naval Flight Manual W110E

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

No, it'll be a 2-3% performance gain. Save up for a Ryzen 5 3600 or 4600

See the problem with that is that I will need to get a new motherboard, a new set of RAM sticks. But I guess you are right, I should just wait for this motherboard to die and then upgrade.

"Should a machine not function upon striking the panel marked "on" this is an omen of great ill. The reasons ascribed may be as follows. Firstly, the function of inadequate preparation on the part of the operator. Secondly, the action of the machine whose spirit may refuse the binding of the operator. Thirdly, the malintent of some third party upon the operator or machine. The operator must repeat the ritual from the beginning re-purifying himself, enscribing the runes, intoning the incantations, and striking the panel marked 'on'. An accompanying oath may be made. Should this procedure fail, the operator must recourse to consulting the instruction manual." -Runic Spaceflight - An Introduction: Naval Flight Manual W110E

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You have basically maxed the (limited) capability you can get out of the old mobo. Spending another million dollars on it wont get you much further

Switching to a more modern platform will cost more yes, but you will see more improvement for every dollar spent

Yeah, that's what I have been slowly realizing now

4 hours ago, Potaaat said:

It's my first time posting in Linus Tech Tips forum. I had this account for a while, but this is my first time posting something so I'm sorry for any mistakes I make.

Anyways my old ASRock B75M-GL R2.0 motherboard still refuses to die and I like pushing stuff to it's limits. After fast googling I found out that I7-3770 is a bit more powerful than my current xeon. Is there any sense in upgrading to the i7?

I have a RTX 2060 and 16GB of DDR3 1600 RAM in this box of junk. The idea is to squeeze every little bit of performance my current motherboard allows.

i7-3770k run through my mind at one point, but even if I manage to overclock it, the motherboard will just die I think, because it's half dead and some of the USB ports aren't working etc.

If I remember correctly the 1240 (and the 60 model) are basically like a 3770k but server oriented 

So I think it'll be the same 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: