My 1660ti isnt performing at all

dragondonut123

I already posted this in Laptops and pre-builts but i dont know where this is supposed to go so im putting it here again. Sorry!

Hey, my ROG Zephyrus M GU502 with a Nvidia 1660ti, i7 9750H is getting unplayable frame rates on FORTNITE(~30 fps) (low settings) and other non-intensive titles. 

I've updated the game ready drivers and theres no change. I can't play any game on even low settings even though im supposed to be able to!

I checked benchmark numbers for the laptop version 1660ti and i should be getting 3 times the frame rates im getting!

I've tried everything from making sure my laptop is on high performance mode and making sure it's cooled properly but nothing seems to get more than ~5-10 fps increase.

Please help me! This is my only 'gaming' machine and in this crazy quarantine here in India i dont have anything else to do  :(

Made an account (after lurking for many months) just to assist here.

Try checking the nvidia control panel to see if those games are using your 1660 ti or not, it sounds like they're using the integrated graphics of your CPU.

Pizza is the best food group

whats is your hardware usage when this is occurring (gpu%/cpu%/ram%/disk%)? what are your temps as well?

14 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

Made an account (after lurking for many months) just to assist here.

Try checking the nvidia control panel to see if those games are using your 1660 ti or not, it sounds like they're using the integrated graphics of your CPU.

yeah, the first thing i did was setting all programs im using to use the 1660ti but no help :(

p.s. after lurking for years i made an account to ask this question 😛 

Just now, dragondonut123 said:

p.s. after lurking for years i made an account to ask this question 😛 

Makes me wonder just how many lurkers there are.

I'm no expert with ingame benchmarks, but try to find one that displays the name of the GPU. (Or, if you have Minecraft Java edition installed, it will display the GPU in the debug menu with F3. I found out a friend's gaming laptop was not even using its GPU for months after purchase this way)

If it is indeed using the 1660 ti, and the performance is still subpar, follow up with @bmx6454's suggestion and check utilization and temps.

18 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

whats is your hardware usage when this is occurring (gpu%/cpu%/ram%/disk%)? what are your temps as well?

Cpu: between 96-100% usage and ~93 degrees celsius temp

GPU - ~45% usage and ~80 degrees celsius temp   (80 usage on my integrated gpu as well :/ )

Memory - 11.7/16 gb(~73%)

Disk - between 0 - 20%

2 hours ago, FeIIex said:

Makes me wonder just how many lurkers there are.

I'm no expert with ingame benchmarks, but try to find one that displays the name of the GPU. (Or, if you have Minecraft Java edition installed, it will display the GPU in the debug menu with F3. I found out a friend's gaming laptop was not even using its GPU for months after purchase this way)

If it is indeed using the 1660 ti, and the performance is still subpar, follow up with @bmx6454's suggestion and check utilization and temps.

Hey, i took your suggestion and run minecraft but it showed the dedicated graphics :( (it's also running on ~40 fps on FAST settings T_T )

164289178_Screenshot(11).thumb.png.65052f0cf16dfdaf33b5b58dd1ade69b.png

What shocked me was that i also run it on my integrated graphics and it showed me HIGHER frames than my dedicated graphics did. (~50 fps)

I have no idea what's happening but something is VERY wrong here!

38 minutes ago, dragondonut123 said:

What shocked me was that i also run it on my integrated graphics and it showed me HIGHER frames than my dedicated graphics did. (~50 fps)

Wow, that's very usual..

I'd check thermals for the GPU while gaming (msi afterburner or your prefered software solution), it could be throttling.

8 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

Wow, that's very usual..

I'd check thermals for the GPU while gaming (msi afterburner or your prefered software solution), it could be throttling.

GPU thermals are under 90 degrees always

Something else to check in the nvidia control panel if you haven't already:

image.png.9d4af56c7b6f62f1e9d6ea9704fb111d.png

Unlikely that this is the issue, but the default is "optimal power", which may be forcing the GPU to run as if you were on battery.

1 minute ago, dragondonut123 said:

GPU thermals are under 90 degrees always

Alright thats normal for a gaming laptop, try checking what I posted above.

19 minutes ago, FeIIex said:

Unlikely that this is the issue, but the default is "optimal power", which may be forcing the GPU to run as if you were on battery

it was on optimal power, changed it to maximum performance but no actual change in FPS anywhere.

Also i noticed that my integrated graphics always has more usage than my dedicated graphics in-game :/  

7 minutes ago, dragondonut123 said:

it was on optimal power, changed it to maximum performance but no actual change in FPS anywhere.

Without having physical access to your machine, I am at a loss.

My apologies for being unable to solve your issues.. 😦

Perhaps someone more knowledgable will come along and assist.

Edited by FeIIex
Added hope.

1 minute ago, FeIIex said:

Without having physical access to your machine, I am at a loss.

My apologies for being unable to solve your issues.. 😦

Thank you so much for helping so far! 

1 minute ago, dragondonut123 said:

Thank you so much for helping so far! 

No worries! Hope you can have this resolved soon.