How To Connect Older Game Consoles To A Gaming Monitor. Anyone have any advice/tips/suggestions?

The last post I remember creating here was about wanting to get into older-style console gaming. That was a little over a week ago & I feel like I have literally learned a ton on my own & from what other people told me in regards to my inquiries. I tend to call this more along the lines of like a "part 2" to this little endeavor/personal goal I have in mind. 

I now have a better idea of what games I'd like to play & what platforms I'll be using. So here are the game platforms I'll be using: the Nintendo GameCube, the Nintendo Wii U, the Nintendo Switch, the PlayStation 3, & either the Xbox One or the Xbox 360 depending. Since I'm wanting to use these particular consoles --(not all at once of course)-- on my LED gaming monitor instead of an older TV, what are my best options or methods you can recommend? For anyone wanting to know, the monitor I have is the MSI Optix MPG27CQ. Do bear in mind that the monitor's resolution is 2560x1440, but I'll probably play at 1080p as that might be an easier resolution to drive.

If anyone happens to need more details or has any questions for me, ask away & I'll be sure to fill you in as best as I can! 

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help! :) 

Edited by Kjennings92

12 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

The last post I remember creating here was about wanting to get into older-style console gaming. That was a little over a week ago & I feel like I have literally learned a ton on my own & from what other people told me in regards to my inquiries. I tend to call this more along the lines of like a "part 2" to this little endeavor/personal goal I have in mind. 

I now have a better idea of what games I'd like to play & what platforms I'll be using. So here are the game platforms I'll be using: the Nintendo GameCube, the Nintendo Wii U, the Nintendo Switch, the PlayStation 3, & either the Xbox One or the Xbox 360 depending. Since I'm wanting to use these particular consoles --(not all at once of course)-- on my LED gaming monitor instead of an older TV, what are my best options or methods you can recommend? For anyone wanting to know, the monitor I have is the MSI Optix MPG27CQ. Do bear in mind that the monitor's resolution is 2560x1440, but I'll probably plat at 1080p as that might be an easier resolution to drive.

If anyone happens to need more details or has any questions for me, ask away & I'll be sure to fill you in as best as I can! 

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help! :) 

HDMI? If screen doesn't then adapter?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

5 minutes ago, Kanna said:

HDMI? If screen doesn't then adapter?

I had considered certain adapters, but I'm not sure if that would work out well for me given how I want to do this. There is 1 video I found on Youtube which I've viewed before. Just not sure if this is the best strategy/method: 

Also, this is the link which provides the specs for my monitor if that helps any: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MPG27CQ

6 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Does your monitor not have an HDMI port by any chance? 

Also, look into a Composite to HDMI adapter for the GameCube; that or if you have the Component cables, a Component to HDMI adapter.

I did find out that my monitor does have 2 HDMI ports. (Not sure which version though.) But this link to my monitors specs might help: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MPG27CQ

Just now, Kjennings92 said:

I had considered certain adapters, but I'm not sure if that would work out well for me given how I want to do this. There is 1 video I found on Youtube which I've viewed before. Just not sure if this is the best strategy/method: 

Also, this is the link which provides the specs for my monitor if that helps any: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MPG27CQ

That is the quickest method you can do for the component consoles and for the 360 and ps3 and wii u just do hdmi

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

I did find out that my monitor does have 2 HDMI ports. (Not sure which version though.) But this link to my monitors specs might help: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MPG27CQ

Literally wouldn’t matter, as all of the consoles you mentioned with HDMI ports tap out at 1920x1080. If actual port count becomes an issue with your consoles, look into an HDMI switch.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:59 PM, Kanna said:

That is the quickest method you can do for the component consoles and for the 360 and ps3 and wii u just do hdmi

Alright. But have you personally done this or had any experience doing this sort of thing? I mean, do you see any flaws in this method which might turn out to be problems? 🤔

Edited by Kjennings92

On 5/8/2020 at 8:00 PM, handymanshandle said:

Literally wouldn’t matter, as all of the consoles you mentioned with HDMI ports tap out at 1920x1080. If actual port count becomes an issue with your consoles, look into an HDMI switch.

Interesting. Are there any specific differences between 1 of those HDMI adapters & an HDMI switch? Also, does the GameCube actually have any HDMI ports? I'm not sure if it does or not since I wasn't fortunate enough to own any game consoles when I was growing up.

Edited by Kjennings92

Alright. But have you personally done this or had any experience doing this sort of thing? I mean, do see any flaws in this method which might turn out to be problems? 🤔

I have done similar and i say i do retro gaming sometimes and it works fine maybe some latency but not noticeable ones maybe if you do super slo-mo you see the delay but no much problem using a composite to hdmi

Reminder⚠️

Interesting. Are there any specific differences between 1 of those HDMI adapters & an HDMI switch? Also, does the GameCube actually have any HDMI ports? I'm not if it does or not since I wasn't fortunate enough to own any game consoles when I was growing up.

Hdmi switch is not an adapter it gives more hdmi ports like a usb hub kinda and gamecube does not have hdmi

Reminder⚠️

Interesting. Are there any specific differences between 1 of those HDMI adapters & an HDMI switch? Also, does the GameCube actually have any HDMI ports? I'm not if it does or not since I wasn't fortunate enough to own any game consoles when I was growing up.

A Composite to HDMI adapter isn’t an HDMI switch. Composite to HDMI adapters allow you to use Composite video devices via HDMI, while an HDMI switch gives you extra HDMI ports to switch from, if needed. 

If you had like $150-200 to spend on improving the GameCube’s video quality, there are legitimate HDMI adapters for the GameCube that take the Digital A/V output and outputs it via HDMI.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

I have done similar and i say i do retro gaming sometimes and it works fine maybe some latency but not noticeable ones maybe if you do super slo-mo you see the delay but no much problem using a composite to hdmi

Hm. So for the GameCube, would my best option be composite to HDMI adapter then?

Hm. So for the GameCube, would my best option be composite to HDMI adapter then?

Quick summary GameCube composite to HDMI adapter, Xbox One PS3 and Xbox 360 Wii u and switch, just regular HDMI

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

Quick summary GameCube composite to HDMI adapter, Xbox One PS3 and Xbox 360 Wii u and switch, just regular HDMI

OK. So I guess those are my best options given what I want out of this setup & given my monitor's connectivity then, right? 

1 minute ago, Kjennings92 said:

OK. So I guess those are my best options given what I want out of this setup & given my monitor's connectivity then, right? 

Yes but I would recommend using the consoles on a TV if possible since that will save much of the time and only like the Xbox One supports the monitor features as 144hz and high RES

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Yes but I would recommend using the consoles on a TV if possible since that will save much of the time and only like the Xbox One supports the monitor features as 144hz and high RES

I'll attempt to remember that. But unfortunately due to my room being kind of on the small side, that's why I figured it would just be easier to connect the consoles I want to my monitor. Just try to understand. However, if say the refresh rate of my monitor actually presents itself to be a problem, I can simply bump it down to 60 & that should eliminate any issues I might have with that. Nonetheless, thank you both for your advice. I do appreciate it! ^_^ 

I'll attempt to remember that. But unfortunately due to my room being kind of on the small side, that's why I figured it would just be easier to connect the consoles I want to my monitor. Just try to understand. However, if say the refresh rate of my monitor actually presents itself to be a problem, I can simply bump it down to 60 & that should eliminate any issues I might have with that. Nonetheless, thank you both for your advice. I do appreciate it! ^_^ 

No problem remember GameCube composite to HDMI adapter, Xbox One PS3 and Xbox 360 Wii u and switch, just regular HDMI and you are good

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

No problem remember GameCube composite to HDMI adapter, Xbox One PS3 and Xbox 360 Wii u and switch, just regular HDMI and you are good

I can remember. You've both been a big help! 

Does your monitor have audio output? The consoles can send the audio and video together to the monitor through hdmi, and then monitor can use audio jack to output to speakers.

Otherwise your consoles may have to use another adapter to output audio through RCA.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:37 AM, CaptainPlanet said:

Does your monitor have audio output? The consoles can send the audio and video together to the monitor through hdmi, and then monitor can use audio jack to output to speakers.

Otherwise your consoles may have to use another adapter to output audio through RCA.

My monitor does have a headphone jack that I could use for this scenario. Only odd thing is that sometimes it will work & other times after some inactivity it won't work when I have my headphones plugged in! Not sure if it the driver for my monitor needs to be updated or not. Last time I checked, all my other drivers were all good & up-to-date.