Best Noctua CPU cooler for Ryzen 7 3700x in a Corsair Air 240 case?

Go to solution Solved by johnny5c,

I personally would go with a NH-C14S with the fan mounted underneath.

There is very limited information on this build combination as the Ryzen 7 3700x is a fairly new CPU whilst this case is over 4 years old.

The maximum CPU cooler height for the Corsair Air 240 case is 120 mm. The CPU chip is a Ryzen 7 3700x which I will not be doing any overclocking on.

I am choosing a Noctua CPU cooler and from my research the best options that are available due to height restrictions are the Noctua NH-L12S, Noctua NH-D9L (with dual 92mm fan configuration) and the Noctua NH-L9a.

(I understand that the new Corsair 280x has superseded this Air 240 case. However, I purchased this case in 2018)

Any recommendations out of these CPU coolers would be highly appreciated!

Many thanks.

5 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

I personally would go with a NH-C14S with the fan mounted underneath.

Thank you for your reply johnny5c. This was not even a consideration, I will have to do some more research on this cooler compared to the others. Thank you

The C14S mentioned by @johnny5c would perform better than both of the solutions you mentioned.

I'd also suggest the Dark Rock TF from be quiet. It should perform similarly to the C14S though arguably it looks better, and might be a little quieter out of the box too.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, umbralknight said:

Thank you for your reply johnny5c. This was not even a consideration, I will have to do some more research on this cooler compared to the others. Thank you

You're welcome.  I have one in my Silverstone HTPC case and it and it's about the best one under 120mm, just make sure it will clear your RAM.

16 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

You're welcome.  I have one in my Silverstone HTPC case and it and it's about the best one under 120mm, just make sure it will clear your RAM.

However, according the PC part picker the Noctua C14S is not compatible as a selection for the selected Corsair Air 240 case

5 minutes ago, umbralknight said:

However, according the PC part picker the Noctua C14S is not compatible as a selection for the selected Corsair Air 240 case

That's only because it's over 120mm with the fan mounted on top, my GD05 has exactly 120mm of clearance and the C14S fits perfectly with the fan mounted underneath.  If you have RAM clearance issues you can use a 120mm fan but stick with the 140mm unless you absolutely have to.

4 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

That's only because it's over 120mm with the fan mounted on top, my GD05 has exactly 120mm of clearance and the C14S fits perfectly with the fan mounted underneath.

Thank you! Is there anyway to check RAM clearance?

I am currently looking at this set of RAM.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2D3600C18#tab-tech-specs

From even more research, the Noctua C14S has 40mm clearance with the fan mounted underneath.

The RAM that I linked above has a height of 31mm as they are low profile.

Thank you @johnny5c for your help. Now to decided on a mobo haha!