Gaming pc for college student- Please help

8 minutes ago, Gundar said:

were you comparing a r9 3950x to a core i3 dual core because otherwise i'd like to see how you came to this conclusion.

Of course it's a broad generalisation... But:

25 minutes ago, KaineT said:

I find AMD components (CPUs/GPUs) generate much more heat. If you're willing to spend a little more maybe switch to an Intel MB/CPU bundle.

True in some cases for their cpus, if you compare the 3800x or better to a locked chip from intel. If you use any of the unlocked sku's from intel, the 3700x should run cooler at stock.

GPUs run hot with low end coolers (blower designs, 5700xt reference model runs very hot) but if you get one with a good cooler, this shouldn't be much of an issue.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CDZ9Qq

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.14 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Best Buy) (if you don't need pcie gen 4 support, or you don't plan on upgrading to ryzen 4000)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Team MP34 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($56.48 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card  ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ Newegg) (Wattage is overkill but its the only A tier psu that isn't super expensive, if someone can find better for cheaper do switch this out)
Total: $1324.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-10 01:50 EDT-0400

Edited by FeIIex
Fixed grammar

Pizza is the best food group

-= Topics Merged =-

No need to repost the same subject multiple times. Keep the conversation to one topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

16 minutes ago, KaineT said:

Did you read the post because the conclusion was that amd generates more heat but because it dissipates it better it runs cooler while intel generates less heat but runs hotter. So because intel runs hotter it's worth paying an extra x amount of money and future upgrade ability? Also @SansVarnic I will say no more

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

On 5/10/2020 at 2:07 PM, Gundar said:

Did you read the post because the conclusion was that amd generates more heat but because it dissipates it better it runs cooler while intel generates less heat but runs hotter. So because intel runs hotter it's worth paying an extra x amount of money and future upgrade ability? Also @SansVarnic I will say no more

Fair point. Admittedly I'm probably biased.

TBH my personal experiences with the few AMD stuff over the years may have bLNot have been the best though. My last experience was with the Radeon 6990 HD. That thing ran at 90°c at while playing Guild Wars 2.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the card, but after RMA-ing two other 6990s with no changes in overall temps (stock cooler/fans). The reseller agreed to let me swap to a GTX 590. Temps.dropped to 65-70°c at load. I won't bring up my bad experiences with the AMD CPUs I've used previously as I cannot remember the exact chips I owned.

22 hours ago, Gundar said:

Also @SansVarnic I will say no more

I fail to understand this comment...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, KaineT said:

I won't bring up my bad experiences with the AMD CPUs I've used previously as I cannot remember the exact chips I owned

On 5/10/2020 at 7:51 AM, KaineT said:

This is from 2015.............

Like 2 years before Zen came along. Since then, heat management on AMD CPUs have generally been splendid (at least compared to their previus offerings, and the offerings on the market). 

Question. Should I buy a ryzen 5 3600 and a rtx 2080 super or a ryzen 7 3700x and a rtx 2070 super? Help ASAP as I’m gonna buy it tonight. 

20 minutes ago, Boqor- said:

Question. Should I buy a ryzen 5 3600 and a rtx 2080 super or a ryzen 7 3700x and a rtx 2070 super? Help ASAP as I’m gonna buy it tonight. 

for just gaming the 3600+2080S would be better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

6 minutes ago, Boqor- said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($83.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Team MP34 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($72.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.98 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB KO GAMING Video Card  ($709.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($85.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Redragon K551-N Wired Standard Keyboard  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Logitech G402 Wired Optical Mouse  ($26.48 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1513.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-15 23:39 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W