Drive recommendations

RGBisKey

So I'm not going to be purchasing anything yet but, I just picked up a mobo with pcie gen 4 support and was wondering what m.2 nvme drive I should look into putting into it. I prefer something blazing fast and with at least a TB of space. I really have no clue what I'm looking for so any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. This will be the boot drive for my system and also the storage for games with long load times. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

This will be the boot drive for my system and also the storage for games with long load times. Thank you.

You will not be able to tell the difference between a "blazing fast" PCIe 4.0 SSD and a cheap SATA SSD. Are you interested in spending money in a status piece, or do you prefer the more economical route?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

You will not be able to tell the difference between a "blazing fast" PCIe 4.0 SSD and a cheap SATA SSD. Are you interested in spending money in a status piece, or do you prefer the more economical route?

Well, obviously I prefer performance over price. But if there's no real benefit between the two what's the point of creating a new form factor?

1 minute ago, RGBisKey said:

Well, obviously I prefer performance over price. But if there's no real benefit between the two what's the point of creating a new form factor?

The M.2 form factor is extremely convenient, with no cables required and even lower power drives (which is important for laptops)

NVMe SSDs are useful for handling massive files, like rendering/exporting 4k video and editing enormous photos. They have uses, but for professionals, not gamers

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The M.2 form factor is extremely convenient, with no cables required and even lower power drives (which is important for laptops)

NVMe SSDs are useful for handling massive files, like rendering/exporting 4k video and editing enormous photos. They have uses, but for professionals, not gamers

Gotcha. Thanks for the help and probably the $100+ of savings. Any sata SSD recommendations?

3 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

Gotcha. Thanks for the help and probably the $100+ of savings. Any sata SSD recommendations?

Cheap SATA M.2 drive have luckily become a lot more common, and cheap NVMe drives as well. These are some good options on the affordable end:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/h3tQzy,DgJtt6,4Qw7YJ,pxKcCJ/

Primary PC:

3 hours ago, RGBisKey said:

So I'm not going to be purchasing anything yet but, I just picked up a mobo with pcie gen 4 support and was wondering what m.2 nvme drive I should look into putting into it. I prefer something blazing fast and with at least a TB of space. I really have no clue what I'm looking for so any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. This will be the boot drive for my system and also the storage for games with long load times. Thank you.

I would say personally a Samsung 970 nvme ssd  a bit pricey if you want it but pretty good performance or you could get a western digital nvme ssd which is an m.2 nvme ssd (b+m) which is like £40 cheaper or a Samsung 860 evo which is SATA which would cheaper than the Samsung 970 nvme ssd but still more expensive and most likely faster than the western digital nvme ssd so there’s a few choices there that you might like