How to Decrease BIOS Time?

Go to solution Solved by homeap5,

You can enter BIOS without clearing CMOS using Windows restart options in settings (type "restart" and choose "Change Advanced Startup Options", then just press "Restart now" button under "Advanced startup").

Other things: if your computer works fine, you may disable memory check every startup (somewhere in OC section probably), disable memory change detection, disable few other testings you may find, disable SMART check, disable network boot, disable... whatever you need or want. Test it - what worst can happen?

And enable that super fast boot. Don't worry.

I recently noticed that my PC is getting a much higher BIOS time than it should (or at least higher than I think it should). The BIOS time in task manager displays consistently at around 16 seconds. Normally, I wouldn't think this is much of an issue, but my crappy old laptop with a 6th gen i5 processor and 6GB of RAM gets a 5 second BIOS time. What's going wrong here that's making my desktop's BIOS time so much longer?

In case this helps, here are the specs of my PC:

• Motherboard: AsRock B450 Steel Legend
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
  • GPU: XFX RX 590 OC+
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200 mHz
  • Crucial BX500 120GB SSD (Boot Drive)
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD (Storage Drive)

Here are a few things I have already tried or checked to no avail. My hard drive is already set to #1 boot priority. My PC is not checking to boot from a network device on startup. I cannot enable fast startup. For some reason it is not an option on my motherboard. The only option I have is ultra-fast startup, which I don't want to use because it makes it impossible to enter BIOS without clearing the CMOS. Is there anything else I can try besides this that may help?

One other potential cause that I could think of is that I have disabled fast boot in Windows settings. When fast boot is enabled, my fans remain spinning and my RAM RGB stays on while the computer is shut down. Since I don't want the RGB to stay on, and I don't want my fan life to be wasted when the PC isn't on, I keep fast boot disabled. Would that be the explanation for the longer BIOS time, or is it something else causing it?

I would appreciate any help anyone could give. Even if there isn't a fix, and this is a normal BIOS time, it would still be nice to know that's the case.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

you can check whether your boot drive is GPT or MBR. if MBR, convert it to GPT and that might speed things up a bit. i used to have around 15s bios time on a similar system as yours and after I converted to GPT, that dropped to about 8s.

You can enter BIOS without clearing CMOS using Windows restart options in settings (type "restart" and choose "Change Advanced Startup Options", then just press "Restart now" button under "Advanced startup").

Other things: if your computer works fine, you may disable memory check every startup (somewhere in OC section probably), disable memory change detection, disable few other testings you may find, disable SMART check, disable network boot, disable... whatever you need or want. Test it - what worst can happen?

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

you can check whether your boot drive is GPT or MBR. if MBR, convert it to GPT and that might speed things up a bit. i used to have around 15s bios time on a similar system as yours and after I converted to GPT, that dropped to about 8s.

No luck there... It's already GPT. Thanks for the reply though!

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

14 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into disabling some of those settings. As far as the advanced startup goes, I tried using it and didn't see any way to enter the actual motherboard BIOS. I saw options to boot from a USB device, but nothing about the BIOS itself. I think I'll hold off on the super fast boot, even if it is safe. I guess my purpose in posting this was more just to make sure that there isn't anything wrong with my PC. Thanks for the tip about the memory check though. I'll try disabling it and see how much that decreases the BIOS time.

Edit: After doing some research, I found out that the option to enter BIOS settings is under the troubleshoot menu in advanced restart options. I just wasn't looking in the right place. I'll look into enabling super fast boot as well. I just need to wait until I'm done with what I'm doing on my computer right now before I mess with any of those settings.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Disables stuff int he bios you do not need helps too. Like if you don't use SATA and have an option to disable it give it a shot. if the board does a ram check you can disable that too.

So basically disable what you do not need and enable the fast boot stuff. 

With fast boot or super fast boot you enter bios from Windows by going to

Start > hold down shift when clicking restart button 

Windows will reboot and show a blue choose an option screen. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced > EUFI firmware settings.

Some bios updates will improve bios boot times.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Well, I give my advices. Use them or not.

I'm talking from my personal experience to made POST as short as possible. Some settings (like I described) can help sometimes.