Can you use a managed switch on a ONT?

NTDaws
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
3 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Because Telus only has one data port enabled on the ONT, I need to get a switch. However I would like to use a managed switch so I can control bandwidth to my Google Wifi and T3200M router. Any ideas?

What we really need to know first is HOW does the router get an IP address from the ONT and is public or private (LAN)?

Because if the ONT is actually a router (which I doubt), it really doesn't matter how you set it up.  But as it only has one port its probably acting as just a bridge and only one device will be able to get an IP address from it, in which case your idea plain wont work as you need a router connected to it in order to perform NAT.  Connecting Google WiFi directly to the ONT simply won't function as it has nowhere to get an IP address from and no network to bridge the traffic to.

More than likely, you need to connect the router to the ONT using CAT5e and connect the Google WiFi to that.  There is no temporary fix for that.

Because Telus only has one data port enabled on the ONT, I need to get a switch. However I would like to use a managed switch so I can control bandwidth to my Google Wifi and T3200M router. Any ideas?

The geek himself.

wht model of ont is this? Does it do nat/ routing?

Why would you have the t3200m and the google wifi, id just have one router if you can.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

wht model of ont is this? Does it do nat/ routing?

Why would you have the t3200m and the google wifi, id just have one router if you can.

Nokia 0-221H

I want to move it because the cable running to the T3200M is only CAT4, and I have a gigabit internet connection. So I want to run a CAT 6 cable to the Google WiFi Instead.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Nokia 0-221H

I want to move it because the cable running to the T3200M is only CAT4, and I have a gigabit internet connection. So I want to run a CAT 6 cable to the Google WiFi Instead.

Why not get rid of the t3200m and use google wifi only?

Normally you can't connect a l2 switch to a ont, as they only handout a address for one device(your router).

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not get rid of the t3200m and use google wifi only?

Normally you can't connect a l2 switch to a ont, as they only handout a address for one device(your router).

Can't get rid of the T3200M because I need it for Optik TV. No other devices support it. I do know you can run a unmanaged switch on the ONT and connect separate routers to it. But I don't know if a managed one will work since it will need a IP of it's own I remember.

The geek himself.

A managed switch with no changes (default settings) will work the same as an unmanaged switch. So at the very least, it would pass traffic.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

Can't get rid of the T3200M because I need it for Optik TV. No other devices support it. I do know you can run a unmanaged switch on the ONT and connect separate routers to it. But I don't know if a managed one will work since it will need a IP of it's own I remember.

A managed switch can work just like a unamanged switch, depends on how you configure it. Normally it will have its own ip, but it doesn't have to, many have a management port, or you can have a seprate vlan or subnet for management.

BUt having a unmanaged switch only works with one device pulgged in right? Its basically a 2 port switch then.

Why do you want this switch anyways? Just go ont to t3200m to google wifi, IDK how a switch would help here.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

A managed switch can work just like a unamanged switch, depends on how you configure it. Normally it will have its own ip, but it doesn't have to, many have a management port, or you can have a seprate vlan or subnet for management.

BUt having a unmanaged switch only works with one device pulgged in right? Its basically a 2 port switch then.

Why do you want this switch anyways? Just go ont to t3200m to google wifi, IDK how a switch would help here.

I want a switch because whoever installed the ethernet in the house used cat 5, not cat 5e. So it's only running at 100 megabit. I need to run a switch into order to hookup a cat 5e or cat 6 cable to the google wifi. It's only temporary but I need it to work.

The geek himself.

I want a switch because whoever installed the ethernet in the house used cat 5, not cat 5e. So it's only running at 100 megabit. I need to run a switch into order to hookup a cat 5e or cat 6 cable to the google wifi. It's only temporary but I need it to work.

wouldn't a coupler work here aswell?

cat 5 can often do gigabit, esp for short runs.

Can't you just plug the cat 5e directly into the google wifi? 

Can you make a network diagram, this doesn't make sense to me/.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Okay one second

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Network.jpg

The T3200M is about 40 feet away

The geek himself.

Network.jpg

that probably won't work. 

For almost all home connections, the ont will give one ip(depends on how the isp does it) to one device. So only one of those would work. You would need to plug your google wifi into the t3200m.

55 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

The T3200M is about 40 feet away

Why not make the connections this way? Then activate bridge mode on the ONT or at least assign the Google WiFi a static IP and disable DHCP on the ONT's LAN.

ONT
|
|
Google Wifi
|
|
Gigabit switch
|
|
T3200M

3 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

What we really need to know first is HOW does the router get an IP address from the ONT and is public or private (LAN)?

Because if the ONT is actually a router (which I doubt), it really doesn't matter how you set it up.  But as it only has one port its probably acting as just a bridge and only one device will be able to get an IP address from it, in which case your idea plain wont work as you need a router connected to it in order to perform NAT.  Connecting Google WiFi directly to the ONT simply won't function as it has nowhere to get an IP address from and no network to bridge the traffic to.

More than likely, you need to connect the router to the ONT using CAT5e and connect the Google WiFi to that.  There is no temporary fix for that.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7