[Help] RTX 2070 fan speed dips / slows intermittently broken ?

Hi, I hope someone can please advise if this is normal or abnormal hardware behaviour. I got a good deal on an RTX 2070 (HP branded, single fan, 22cm length). I can return it if broken but cannot get a replacement for the same price, so need to know if this is a marker of a damaged card.

Occasionally the fan speed dips. Perhaps once every few minutes, though sometimes I can capture it twice in a few seconds. This is from the idle speed without any load, and from the accelerated speed when under load. The dip lasts for a second at most. There is an audible change, and Afterburner shows a constant fan speed but the dip is detected in the reading of the fan tachymeter, which make me wonder if there is a hardware issue. Please see the attached Afterburner readout. The other spikes coincide with Heaven switching scenes. The change in the fan tach does not coincide with any change in the activity, with the same picture seen at idle.

I can run a Heaven benchmark for hours without any crash or issue but I'm worried that this might be the first flag of further issues. Is this normal or a sign of something broken/breaking? Many thanks.

RTX 2070 fan issue.png

20 minutes ago, vcSjJ5jU80 said:

Hi, I hope someone can please advise if this is normal or abnormal hardware behaviour. I got a good deal on an RTX 2070 (HP branded, single fan, 22cm length). I can return it if broken but cannot get a replacement for the same price, so need to know if this is a marker of a damaged card.

Occasionally the fan speed dips. Perhaps once every few minutes, though sometimes I can capture it twice in a few seconds. This is from the idle speed without any load, and from the accelerated speed when under load. The dip lasts for a second at most. There is an audible change, and Afterburner shows a constant fan speed but the dip is detected in the reading of the fan tachymeter, which make me wonder if there is a hardware issue. Please see the attached Afterburner readout. The other spikes coincide with Heaven switching scenes. The change in the fan tach does not coincide with any change in the activity, with the same picture seen at idle.

I can run a Heaven benchmark for hours without any crash or issue but I'm worried that this might be the first flag of further issues. Is this normal or a sign of something broken/breaking? Many thanks.

RTX 2070 fan issue.png

I'm sorry but do I get it correctly ? Your GPU's fan curve drops occasionally for asking or two

I'm sorry I'm kind of confused 😅

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 12:12 PM, TofuHaroto said:

I'm sorry but do I get it correctly ? Your GPU's fan curve drops occasionally for asking or two

I'm sorry I'm kind of confused 😅

So I can hear the speed drop occasionally. Afterburner confirms this. I just wanted to know if this is pathological?

19 minutes ago, vcSjJ5jU80 said:

So I can hear the speed drop occasionally. Afterburner confirms this. I just wanted to know if this is pathological?

Well it has a 0 rpm mode usually these cards go above their 0 rpm mode consistently so for the most part your fine

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: