Can I still switch to Win10 without a new license?

As the list of features I miss out on without the dreaded Windows 10 slowly becomes longer, I have begun considering going for the conversion. However, I realized today that the license I have saved for a Win10 installation is apparently an Education license, so I realize that's not going to work. And so I wonder, is it still possible to activate a Windows 10 installation with a Windows 8 license? I have searched around on the web, but most of what I found was either four years old or inconclusive. Any requirement to connect the Win 8 license to a Microsoft account, doing a fresh install on a new SSD or other matters are okay with me, I am just asking whether I need to buy a new license or not.

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @ 3,5GHz

-Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3i

Motherboard: MSI B150 PC Mate LGA1151 ATX

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4-2133MHz

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 White

-Fans: 3x Corsair HD120 1x Corsair AF140L

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW

PSU: Corsair CX600M

Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB SSD (System disk) + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (Storage)

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Partpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wPhTtJ

I'm not talking from any legal or license perspective, but from a practical perspective, it'll probably work. I've had no problems with either "upgrading" a Win7 system to Win10, or using a Win7 key to activate Win10. Last time I did so was earlier this year. Linus even mentioned this in a recent video, but don't ask me which one.

If the Win8 you have has a key, you can probably just enter that on install. If there isn't a key, you might have to do an upgrade install of Win10 on top of it. Use the media creation tool from MS, and make sure to install the same type of licence e.g. home to home, pro to pro.

Edit: assuming it goes successfully, then without a MS account, it'll still be an online license. I've not had problems doing clean installs without entering a key providing it has previously had an activated one. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, porina said:

If the Win8 you have has a key, you can probably just enter that on install. If there isn't a key, you might have to do an upgrade install of Win10 on top of it. Use the media creation tool from MS, and make sure to install the same type of licence e.g. home to home, pro to pro.

Correct me if I misunderstand this, I am just trying to learn it. But does it mean I could do a fresh Win10 install on a new SSD and put in the Win8 key I'm currently using? I know it sounds bonkers, but again, just trying to understand. My dad had his laptop severely slowed down when the Win10 update was forced onto his Win8 (it kept all the files and everything, the machine was just slowed down), so I'm hesitant to "update" on top of my existing OS.

Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB SSD (System disk) + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (Storage)

1 minute ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

Correct me if I misunderstand this, I am just trying to learn it. But does it mean I could do a fresh Win10 install on a new SSD and put in the Win8 key I'm currently using? I know it sounds bonkers, but again, just trying to understand. My dad had his laptop severely slowed down when the Win10 update was forced onto his Win8 (it kept all the files and everything, the machine was just slowed down), so I'm hesitant to "update" on top of my existing OS.

I've never tried it with Win8 as I never bought a fresh copy, but what is described works for Win7 keys. That's probably the safer option, you can take out the old drive as a backup, and do a clean install. Again, make sure to use the correct home/pro version according to the key.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

I've never tried it with Win8 as I never bought a fresh copy, but what is described works for Win7 keys. That's probably the safer option, you can take out the old drive as a backup, and do a clean install. Again, make sure to use the correct home/pro version according to the key.

Alright, I will keep that in mind, and mull it over some more. Thank you.

19 hours ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

My dad had his laptop severely slowed down when the Win10 update was forced onto his Win8 (it kept all the files and everything, the machine was just slowed down), so I'm hesitant to "update" on top of my existing OS.

Your dad must have different problem than upgrade. Upgrade means basically new system with keeping some program related settings in registry and without removing user files. Win10 really needs SSD, so that may be your dad main problem, not fact that his system was installed by upgrade process.

20 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Your dad must have different problem than upgrade. Upgrade means basically new system with keeping some program related settings in registry and without removing user files. Win10 really needs SSD, so that may be your dad main problem, not fact that his system was installed by upgrade process.

Never called it an upgrade, and it was an SSD. Reinstalled Win8 and it was all smooth sailing again.

55 minutes ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

Never called it an upgrade, and it was an SSD. Reinstalled Win8 and it was all smooth sailing again.

From win8 to win10 - it's upgrade.

It'll be a compatibility patch at the very least, and that's all I'm really after.

On 5/4/2020 at 1:31 PM, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

Education license

So why wouldn't this work?  The Windows 10 education version is actually just as robust as windows 10 pro.  I use a Windows 10 education license on a recently built gaming rig with no issues and nothing I can find is missing.

9 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

So why wouldn't this work?  The Windows 10 education version is actually just as robust as windows 10 pro.  I use a Windows 10 education license on a recently built gaming rig with no issues and nothing I can find is missing.

Well the license is several years old, and on onthehub.com it says, quote:
"* These products and/or offers are not for the general public. You may be requested to provide proof of academic or organizational affiliation prior to order or participation."
I suspect I might get trouble with activation (or potential deactivation) if I am caught activating a several years old license when I no longer attend that school. If that was not a factor, I would've considered ordering an SSD already and try installing it.

I remember reading when I looked into using the license that it is your to keep forever and not just when you are at the school.   So you got it when you were at school and it is yours to use.

7 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

I remember reading when I looked into using the license that it is your to keep forever and not just when you are at the school.   So you got it when you were at school and it is yours to use.

Hmm... that is interesting. From what I've gathered you can use the same Pro license to fresh install when you do a hardware upgrade. Would Edu version have the same hardware upgrade compatibility that Pro has? Or is it more restrictive, since I read it can only be installed on one machine? And by hardware upgrade I'm referring to things like motherboard, not just GPU or CPU.

1 minute ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

Hmm... that is interesting. From what I've gathered you can use the same Pro license to fresh install when you do a hardware upgrade. Would Edu version have the same hardware upgrade compatibility that Pro has? Or is it more restrictive, since I read it can only be installed on one machine? And by hardware upgrade I'm referring to things like motherboard, not just GPU or CPU.

Hopefully this will help -> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3181976/windows-10-editions-for-education-customers

15 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the tip, though.

12 minutes ago, Ser James Acinonyx of Compactis said:

I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the tip, though.

no problem.  Just providing an option.  In the end, you have to do what you feel is correct.

11 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

no problem.  Just providing an option.  In the end, you have to do what you feel is correct.

Getting a fresh perspective is helpful.