PSU won't jump start with bridging plug

Hey everyone,

I'm attempting to run my pump for filling using the 24pin bridging plug included with my EK kit, however, it is failing to turn on.  Everything is unplugged from the PSU apart from the 24pin cable and the connector for the pump but still nothing. Been searching for a solution for almost three hours so thought I would throw a post out for help. 

Ive also tried a different bridging plug and different power lead. It does work when it's plugged back into the motherboard, so I know the PSU isn't dead, but obviously I don't want to damage any components. It just won't jump start for some reason, even when bridged.

Motherboard: Asus rampage extreme V 

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Cooling kit: EK performance 360

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Simpson92 said:

Hey everyone,

I'm attempting to run my pump for filling using the 24pin bridging plug included with my EK kit, however, it is failing to turn on.  Everything is unplugged from the PSU apart from the 24pin cable and the connector for the pump but still nothing. Been searching for a solution for almost three hours so thought I would throw a post out for help. 

Ive also tried a different bridging plug and different power lead. It does work when it's plugged back into the motherboard, so I know the PSU isn't dead, but obviously I don't want to damage any components. It just won't jump start for some reason, even when bridged.

Motherboard: Asus rampage extreme V 

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Cooling kit: EK performance 360

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Did you try with a screwdriver?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Are you sure it isn't turning on? The fan won't spin on that PSU with such a low load.

Either way, there is another way to jump that PSU. You can jump it by bridging the middle pin of the 14 pin connector (right under the notch) with one of the pins on either side of it. Straight from the mouth of johnnyguru.

Edited by BobVonBob
forgot a words

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

35 minutes ago, Simpson92 said:

I'm attempting to run my pump for filling

Do you have something else that can power the pump? Like a battery or a bench power supply?

35 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Did you try with a screwdriver?

32 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Are you sure it isn't turning on? The fan won't spin on that PSU with such a low load.

Either way, there is another way to jump that PSU. You can jump it by bridging the middle pin of the 14 pin connector (right under the notch) with one of the pins on either side of it. Straight from the mouth of johnnyguru.

I've just tried both of these and I still couldn't get the pump to work. 

10 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Do you have something else that can power the pump? Like a battery or a bench power supply?

Ah true, I'll have a look around and see if I can run it with an external source

38 minutes ago, Simpson92 said:

I've just tried both of these and I still couldn't get the pump to work. 

Photos of your birgde, the connecion to the pump, the connection to the PSU will be needed to give you any advice further.

37 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Photos of your birgde, the connecion to the pump, the connection to the PSU will be needed to give you any advice further.

Tried my best to get under the pump for the connection, sorry about the blur. 

IMG_20200503_213734.jpg

IMG_20200503_214658.jpg

IMG_20200503_213949.jpg

Press the START button,It will get you the result you are trying to achieve..

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

9 minutes ago, Simpson92 said:

Tried my best to get under the pump for the connection, sorry about the blur. 

Nice, could you get one more photo: the connection between the pump molex cable and the PSU molex cable. In particular please peel back the black sleeving of the power cable from the pump to clearly show the red (might be yellow? dont remember) and black cable color.

8 minutes ago, chen57 said:

just to be sure, you do know you have to flip the psu switch ?

Yup definitely made sure of that, haha

9 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Press the START button,It will get you the result you are trying to achieve..

Unfortunately not, tried this also but no power going into it because of the bridge I would assume 

5 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Nice, could you get one more photo: the connection between the pump molex cable and the PSU molex cable. In particular please peel back the black sleeving of the power cable from the pump to clearly show the red (might be yellow? dont remember) and black cable color.

I couldn't peel back the sleeve, it seems to be braded into a metal clamp with the wire, but I have taken a picture of the connection numbers if that helps? 

IMG_20200503_221444.jpg

IMG_20200503_220934.jpg

IMG_20200503_220903.jpg

1 minute ago, Simpson92 said:

Yup definitely made sure of that, haha

Unfortunately not, tried this also but no power going into it because of the bridge I would assume 

I couldn't peel back the sleeve, it seems to be braded into a metal clamp with the wire, but I have taken a picture of the connection numbers if that helps? 

based on how they enter the bottom of the pump, can you work out whether 1 is black or red? 

Also do you have a digital multimeter? you can check the voltage across the molex pins.

If you have doubts about your particular jumper, here is a good demonstration that you can do with a paperclip as well.

2.jpg.a4fc6f463e3d8ecf19fd1076484e0015.jpg

6 minutes ago, For Science! said:

based on how they enter the bottom of the pump, can you work out whether 1 is black or red? 

Sure, the cable entering "1" is red. I don't have a digital multimeter either I'm afraid so can't check the voltage 

4 minutes ago, Simpson92 said:

Sure, the cable entering "1" is red. I don't have a digital multimeter either I'm afraid so can't check the voltage 

Everything seems to be physically okay as far as I can see, so either dead jumper or dead/stuck pump would be my guesses. I would suggest using the paper clip method as above to rule out bad jumper, and then look into the pump situation afterwards. I'm kind of at the limit of what I can offer remotely.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Everything seems to be physically okay as far as I can see, so either dead jumper or dead/stuck pump would be my guesses. I would suggest using the paper clip method as above to rule out bad jumper, and then look into the pump situation afterwards. I'm kind of at the limit of what I can offer remotely.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow and get back if anything changes, I tried the paper clip method earlier and still nothing happened, but I'll try again anyway just to be sure. Thanks for the help!

You're not plugging the 4pin fan plug, from the pump, into the motherboard are you? If so disconnect it.

4 hours ago, Neggy-Z said:

You're not plugging the 4pin fan plug, from the pump, into the motherboard are you? If so disconnect it.

Nope that all disconnected

11 hours ago, For Science! said:

If you have doubts about your particular jumper, here is a good demonstration that you can do with a paperclip as well.

2.jpg.a4fc6f463e3d8ecf19fd1076484e0015.jpg

I've tried this again and still nothing. I've also tried hooking up an LED strip and Disc drive just to see if any power flowed to them while bridging, again nothing happened. 

2 hours ago, Simpson92 said:

Nope that all disconnected

I've tried this again and still nothing. I've also tried hooking up an LED strip and Disc drive just to see if any power flowed to them while bridging, again nothing happened. 

That's weird, lets assume its now the 24-pin ATX cable thats the issue. You can jump the PSU by directly bridging the pins on hte PSU. The green pin is on the 14-pin side just under the clip and any adjacent pin is a ground (black). Just make sure you are actually using a RM1000 (i.e. Type 3 Corsair Pinout)

Corsair-type-3b.png 

In case I'm not very clear with the above, please look at my picture below to illustrate what I mean, please note that this PSU is a TYPE 4 one so the pinout is not the same as yours *RM750x).

20190926_080901-02.jpeg

26 minutes ago, For Science! said:

That's weird, lets assume its now the 24-pin ATX cable thats the issue. You can jump the PSU by directly bridging the pins on hte PSU. The green pin is on the 14-pin side just under the clip and any adjacent pin is a ground (black). Just make sure you are actually using a RM1000 (i.e. Type 3 Corsair Pinout)

Corsair-type-3b.png 

Ah tha k you so much, this picture helped a lot! I realise now that this is also what  bobvonbob meant, but I was an idiot and bridging the 14pin end of the cable 🤦‍♀️

17 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Thank you so much for your help, both of you! Coolant is flowing!

29 minutes ago, Simpson92 said:

Thank you so much for your help, both of you! Coolant is flowing!

Congratulations! though its a bit weird that you can't jumper the 24-pin cable....but I guess if this workaround is fine and you can later turn on your system, then all is well. Makes me think somehow your 24-pin aTX cable is defective...

50 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Congratulations! though its a bit weird that you can't jumper the 24-pin cable....but I guess if this workaround is fine and you can later turn on your system, then all is well. Makes me think somehow your 24-pin aTX cable is defective...

Yeah true, I'll get a new one just to be safe

• 3 years later...
On 5/4/2020 at 1:42 PM, For Science! said:

In case I'm not very clear with the above, please look at my picture below to illustrate what I mean, please note that this PSU is a TYPE 4 one so the pinout is not the same as yours *RM750x).

20190926_080901-02.jpeg

I have Cougar GEX 1050w trying jump the 24 pin  , I tried many ways but all fails it just power on then off after a second so is there a way ? or can I use the same way in your picture (jump the pins directly into psu)  ? is it okay as I don't need to damage the psu