How to sort everything when addind an SSD

Sikiji

I finally got an SSD (a 1TB Silicon Power A55) and I'm wondering whats the best way to sort it? I have been using a 1TB HDD and it seems like a waste to just get rid of that much storage. To get the most out of my new SSD what should I put on it and what should I leave on the HDD? I know games and CPU intensive programs move over to the SSD, but what about the OS, or music or heck even the virus protection programs?

I have dealt with bad partitions in the past and that's no fun for anyone. I’d rather have a single drive but that seems impossible, so I figured it would be best to just ask the pros here what to do before I can mess it all up. Oh and I’m using a self built gaming PC running Windows 10 if it matters.

Stuff that should go onto the SSD:

• OS
  • Frequently used programs (AntiVirus software, Browsers, Games, Video & Photo editiing software, ...)*
  • Either large or frequently accessed files (documents, config files, pictures or videos that are currently being edited, ...)*

Stuff that should go onto the HDD:

• Archived data (Movies, Photos, Music, ...)**
  • Games**
  • Rarely used software (VPN Client Software, Netflix, ...)
  • Software that might get used often, but doesn't require much data or runs mostly in RAM (Screenshot capturing software, PowerToys, Screensharing software, chats, ...)

* if they profit from higher bandwith or faster response times

** if they don't profit from higher bandwith or faster response times

TL;DNR: this is likely less answer than you are looking for.  Generalities about function.  Not much “put this stuff there”

One thing I have heard of people doing is slicing off a small partition of a larger SSD to use as cache for a mechanical HD which speeds it up a lot

If you’re interested in longevity, SSDs and HDDs wear differently.  HDDs wear by revolutions of the plate, so effectively time.  Amounts of reads and writes don’t matter much.  SDDs wear when written to but not when read, so things that are read often but not often written to wear better with an SSD.  The OS is one such thing generally.

If you’re interested in workflow speed SSDs are many times faster than HDs so stuff you work with a lot go faster with SSDs and stuff that is rarely accessed or used as backup can go on the cheap stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

OK thanks. Since I need the OS on the SSD should I just use the built in cloning program that came with it and then wipe the HDD afterwards? Then transfer the infrequent and non essentials back to it for storage?

And speaking of not writing on the SSD too much, I should never defrag an SSD right?