Building PC - i dun goofed

I am building a new PC (first one in 8 years) and it seems i made some mistakes buying a rather incompatible Motherboard (MSI B450 Tomahawk Max) and Case ( be quiet! Pure Base 500DX). I cant Plug in one of the front USBs, i cant plug in the RGB from the case and i cant plug in something else from the frontpanel im not even sure what it is. The Powerswitch/Light and Audio plug in fine. Heres an Image of what i cant Plug in ( https://imgur.com/5lC1BOD )and the front of the case ( https://imgur.com/nU9D7IM ). The big one is USB 3.0 (i think) and it goes in fine.

My questions:

1.have i just fucked up or is there a way to get the RGB to work with an adapter or something? The Motherboard does have two RGB thingys, just not the 3 pin one.

2. Whats the third thing i cant Plug in?

3.If the RGB (and the front USB, although i could live without that) is unfixable, what would be a good AM4 motherboard for a Ryzen 3700+ that does have the USB and the right kind of RGB? it should be somewhat overclockable, thats why the Tomahawk Max was recommended to me.

Thank you very much to anyone taking the time to help me!

Might be HDD light or light for the power switch?

Hard to assist really, not being able to see it, but it is surprising that it doesn't reach, usually have to cable manage that sort of stuff because it is too long (in my experience they generally reach the length of the case).

Are you sure they are not cable managed at the top?

Worst case, you might be able to take out the cables and replace them with longer cables.

Im sorry, i totally worded that badly. The problem isnt that the cables arent long enough, its that the b450 tomahawk max just doesnt have the right kind of connectors were these guys would plug into.

image.png.d9306ded090d0169612633d80184d8bd.png

The 'big' plug is the USB 3 as u say, and that plugs in at the bottom of the board.

The one with the 3 white hole with one black is the RGB i think and should fit fine on one of the 2 rgb headers, one at the top one at the bottom.

The other larger one looks like sata power.

And the other small one looks like USB Gen3.1/2 gen 2 which i dont think ur board has internally.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

26 minutes ago, max1212121 said:

1.have i just fucked up or is there a way to get the RGB to work with an adapter or something? The Motherboard does have two RGB thingys, just not the 3 pin one.

Not with just an adapter. 3 pin and 4 pin RGB connectors are completely different, so you would more likely be looking at a controller.

27 minutes ago, max1212121 said:

2. Whats the third thing i cant Plug in?

Are you talking about the SATA connector or the USB 3.1 gen 2 connector?

:)

Thanks for the help guys, i think i figured it out now. The SATA goes to the PSU so that one works. My motherboard doesnt have USB 3.1 gen 2, so that and the 3pin ARGB are the ones that dont fit right now.

What kind of "controller" would one need to plug in 3pin RGB that also works with the MSI mainboard? Is that worth it or would it be better to just return the motherboard any buy a new one with the right RGB and USB 3.1?

Just now, max1212121 said:

Thanks for the help guys, i think i figured it out now. The SATA goes to the PSU so that one works. My motherboard doesnt have USB 3.1 gen 2, so that and the 3pin ARGB are the ones that dont fit right now.

What kind of "controller" would one need to plug in 3pin RGB that also works with the MSI mainboard? Is that worth it or would it be better to just return the motherboard any buy a new one with the right RGB and USB 3.1?

The 3 pin RGB connector has 1 unused hole in the female lead correct ? in which case it should fit fine on the 4 pin male board header.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

The unused hole isnt a hole, its just shut, so it cant just go onto the 4pin, one would need to rip out a pin and i suspect it just wouldnt work then :D

5 minutes ago, max1212121 said:

The unused hole isnt a hole, its just shut, so it cant just go onto the 4pin, one would need to rip out a pin and i suspect it just wouldnt work then :D

Annoying when they use different standards, ur board uses pin1 12v and then RGB for pins 2 to 4. That case must have just R, blank, G, B or some such as it gets power from the Sata . U'd have to check ur cases manual.

many cases use normal LED strips and headers on the control board, u might want to see if they are normal removable cables and source urself an extension cable to bypass the case board all together.

or just buy a different motherboard :P

13 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

The 3 pin RGB connector has 1 unused hole in the female lead correct ? in which case it should fit fine on the 4 pin male board header.

Absolutely not. 4 pin RGB connectors are 12V, and have voltage, and then each of the colours. 3 pin RGB is 5V, and has voltage, data and ground. The only thing they would achieve would be frying something

:)

• 5 months later...

I have the same exact problem and it seems that its not possible to use the 3 pin rgb header and plug it into the 4 pin