Need help with this dual booting problem and with windows 7

SpangB4b

Ok so, a friend's pc started being slow on windows 7, so I suggested if I install windows 10 on her computer, she said to not remove windows 7 though cause it had some stuff she needed on it, so I dual booted it, it has been working fine for a couple of months now and she always gets a list of both systems so she could choose whether she wants to go on windows 7 or 10, now she doesn't get that list and it seems like there isn't even windows 7 on it anymore, any help? I also changed the boot drive 3 times, there are 2 partitions i tried both and both didn't work, and I tried the hidden system partition that takes up like 200 Mbs, and it booted me to windows 10. What do I do?

2 minutes ago, SpangB4b said:

Ok so, a friend's pc started being slow on windows 7, so I suggested if I install windows 10 on her computer, she said to not remove windows 7 though cause it had some stuff she needed on it, so I dual booted it, it has been working fine for a couple of months now and she always gets a list of both systems so she could choose whether she wants to go on windows 7 or 10, now she doesn't get that list and it seems like there isn't even windows 7 on it anymore, any help? I also changed the boot drive 3 times, there are 2 partitions i tried both and both didn't work, and I tried the hidden system partition that takes up like 200 Mbs, and it booted me to windows 10. What do I do?

Boot a live Linux USB and recover her data. W10 tends to wipe the MBR when big patches roll out, then wipe the old partition and extend the W10 install's partition to take advantage of the space.

There's no reason to keep dual booting both because this will continue to happen every time MS rolls out a feature update.

That said, if you want to deal with the headache, you can look up how to manually repair the MBR every time an feature update rolls out.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Boot a live Linux USB and recover her data. W10 tends to wipe the MBR when big patches roll out, then wipe the old partition and extend the W10 install's partition to take advantage of the space.

There's no reason to keep dual booting both because this will continue to happen every time MS rolls out a feature update.

That said, if you want to deal with the headache, you can look up how to manually repair the MBR every time an feature update rolls out.

okay i'll try that thank you! what distro do i use though

Edited by SpangB4b
to ask what distro to use

1 minute ago, SpangB4b said:

okay i'll try that thank you! what distro do i use though

I'd just use Ubuntu, it has a pretty simple mounting method from within its file manager. Here's how to make the bootable USB: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

Once you're booted, choose the "Try Ubuntu before installing" or whatever they call it now. Then, just simply open up the file manager and double click on the partitions that you need to access data from. Do the same for her W10 install and just drag and drop what you need from one to the other.

If you run into issues, you can follow this guide on how to manually mount the partition in read only mode: https://www.tecmint.com/mount-windows-partition-in-ubuntu/

If you end up having to manually mount into read only mode, make sure you have an external drive or something to dump the data onto, as you won't be able to write directly to the W10 partition when it's in read only.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

I'd just use Ubuntu, it has a pretty simple mounting method from within its file manager. Here's how to make the bootable USB: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

Once you're booted, choose the "Try Ubuntu before installing" or whatever they call it now. Then, just simply open up the file manager and double click on the partitions that you need to access data from. Do the same for her W10 install and just drag and drop what you need from one to the other.

If you run into issues, you can follow this guide on how to manually mount the partition in read only mode: https://www.tecmint.com/mount-windows-partition-in-ubuntu/

If you end up having to manually mount into read only mode, make sure you have an external drive or something to dump the data onto, as you won't be able to write directly to the W10 partition when it's in read only.

Alright, if I ever need any help I'll let you know, thank you for you time!!!

4 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

From experience, this guy is slinging hot truth 

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313