My 4K monitor shows half image/screen, turns off... randomly. I have no clue why

I've been using my current system for around 5 years now. The problem I am having is all random. Sometimes the image on the screen is only half shown. Like; it shows only right half of the actual desktop and the image is streched all over the screen. It doesn't show the left half of the screen. But my mouse pointer can go there. I try restarting the monitor, changing the resolution, etc.. Most of the time it doesn't help unless I restart my computer. Then everything is back to normal. Or rarely restarting my monitor fixes it.

The other problem is sometimes my monitor turns off by itself. Sometimes it turns off and you can't get the image. Sometimes I restart the monitor (because it helps sometimes) to fix it but then if it doesn't help it says their is no signal coming from the computer. And sometimes it goes black and comes back after couple of seconds and keeps repeating. Sometimes it stops sometimes I need to restart my computer again to fix it.

I am using Windows 10 - 64 bit. I have installed latest drivers for everything I have. I am using mini displayport 1.2.

I don't know what triggers this problem, is it the monitor, is it the graphics card, is it my video cable, is it something else? If you have any idea, any tips, any solution, I'd really appreciate that.

My system:

• Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
  • Asus Z87-A Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8 GB
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 960 
  • Thermaltake 630W 80+ Bronze
  • Dell UP2414Q Monitor

Try the simpelst of possibilities (is this a word?)

Try another cable.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

6 minutes ago, cakeantidote said:

I'd really appreciate that.

That sounds more like a video card that is failing, than a monitor.

Having said that, getting a known good, used, 2ns monitor and trying that out, is pretty simple, that should isolate if it's the video card or the monitor.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

34 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Try the simpelst of possibilities (is this a word?)

Try another cable.

I will try this. Thank you!

34 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That sounds more like a video card that is failing, than a monitor.

Having said that, getting a known good, used, 2ns monitor and trying that out, is pretty simple, that should isolate if it's the video card or the monitor.

Thank you. I will check for a new cable. Then if I can find another monitor, I will try your solution.

I am still open for suggestions for the solution!

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Monitor model?

As I mentioned in my post, it is Dell UP2414Q Monitor.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Just look at the amazon reviews. It is a very problematic model. This display uses an old 4k method of using two internal displays tiled together (one for the left and right half of the full image) and uses requires some fuckery to get the job done. As a result it is buggy and the displayport 1.2 implementation for 4k60 seems to be half broken.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-UP2414Q-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00HALPPM0

If you end up replacing it, you should not get the same problems with newer 4k displays that use proper 4k singular panels

Thanks so much for this tip! I will check it. Cheers!