Memory frequency question

Hi all,

I just purchased a new PC and am wondering about RAM & XMP profile. I have Corsair vengeance RGB pro 3200mhz 16GB RAM and noticed it was only running at 2133mhz. After some research I turned on XMP profile to give me the full 3200mhz. When I turned it on, I got a BSOD not long after running it. 

My build is a 3900x, 2060 super and a gigabyte x570 aorus motherboard.

I want to know if that is just coincidental and have another problem or it sounds linked. Also, is it a big performance difference without turning on the XMP profile?

Thanks for any information you can share. 

do you have ram in slots 2 and 4? 

sounds like the xmp profile is not stable. check that when you enable it the dram voltage is set to 1.35. it may be worth increasing soc voltage to 1.0 as well.

24 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

do you have ram in slots 2 and 4? 

sounds like the xmp profile is not stable. check that when you enable it the dram voltage is set to 1.35. it may be worth increasing soc voltage to 1.0 as well.

Thanks. They are seperated and on the board labeled A2 and B2 but im not sure depending which way you look at it, could be slot 2 and 4 or 1 and 3 but they have a gap between them. When i enable it, how can i check/change the dram voltage and soc voltage?

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Liborio said:

Thanks. They are seperated and on the board labeled A2 and B2 but im not sure depending which way you look at it, could be slot 2 and 4 or 1 and 3 but they have a gap between them. When i enable it, how can i check/change the dram voltage and soc voltage?

Cheers.

A2 and B2 is what you want. slots 2 and 4 from left (cpu) to right. 

look around in the bios menu, there should be a dram voltage option and a soc voltage option.

If you go into the tweaker menu set vcore SOC to 1.05 and DRAM voltage to 1.35 (if they are not set automatically when enabling xmp)

image.thumb.png.12831d8bc26621c79a9624a90a35fd21.png

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

A2 and B2 is what you want. slots 2 and 4 from left (cpu) to right. 

look around in the bios menu, there should be a dram voltage option and a soc voltage option.

If you go into the tweaker menu set vcore SOC to 1.05 and DRAM voltage to 1.35 (if they are not set automatically when enabling xmp)

image.thumb.png.12831d8bc26621c79a9624a90a35fd21.png

So firstly, changing profiles did not change the values. They stayed at 1.1v for soc and 1.2v for DRAM as their default whether its xmp or not.

I have now enabled xmp and changed them to your suggested values except soc is 1.052 as there was no 1.05 as an option.

Do i run with this and see how it goes? Are there any risks involved? Is it even worth using the XMP profile?

Thanks.

Also may be worth mentioning, when it BSOD'd, it created a dumpfile and i used bluescreenview to tell me some more about it and gave me the attached info. ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe errors.

BSV1.png

16 minutes ago, Liborio said:

So firstly, changing profiles did not change the values. They stayed at 1.1v for soc and 1.2v for DRAM as their default whether its xmp or not.

I have now enabled xmp and changed them to your suggested values except soc is 1.052 as there was no 1.05 as an option.

Do i run with this and see how it goes? Are there any risks involved? Is it even worth using the XMP profile?

Thanks.

yes run with it. keep vsoc at 1.1v if that is the defalt value, but change dram voltage to 1.35.

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yes run with it. keep vsoc at 1.1v if that is the defalt value, but change dram voltage to 1.35.

Okay i will try that. Thank you.

Is there any risk involved with running xmp with a higher voltage for DRAM?

Do the risks outweigh the benefits or are they quite low impact?

Sorry if im asking so many questions, i just like to gather a full understanding.

Cheers.

17 minutes ago, Liborio said:

Also may be worth mentioning, when it BSOD'd, it created a dumpfile and i used bluescreenview to tell me some more about it and gave me the attached info. ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe errors.

BSV1.png

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Sorry i should have also mentioned the above too. Please see info and screenshots if it helps.

13 minutes ago, Liborio said:

Is there any risk involved with running xmp with a higher voltage for DRAM?

Do the risks outweigh the benefits or are they quite low impact?

Sorry if im asking so many questions, i just like to gather a full understanding.

Cheers.

the only risk is it's unstable and it blue screens. which already happens. you won't damage anything. the bios itself doesn't really allow you to change the values in a way you would damage any components.

20 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the only risk is it's unstable and it blue screens. which already happens. you won't damage anything. the bios itself doesn't really allow you to change the values in a way you would damage any components.

Okay great. So hopefully that voltage change it allows for stability whilst using this XMP profile, is that correct?

Also, is the performance improvement greatly increased by using the true 3200mhz?

I'm gonna try this from a different angle here.

Did you extensively test the stability before enabling XMP? Are you sure it's caused by that, or couldn't it be something else?

Try running MemTest86 without XMP first, see if it passes a few tests. Maybe leave it running overnight.

If that fails, you have bad RAM. If it passes, then we can move on to overclocking.

Try it again with XMP enabled.

If that then fails, we know the OC caused the problem. If it passes, there's some other issue causing the BSOD's.

14 minutes ago, Liborio said:

Okay great. So hopefully that voltage change it allows for stability whilst using this XMP profile, is that correct?

Also, is the performance improvement greatly increased by using the true 3200mhz?

yes, there is a big performance increase

8 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

I'm gonna try this from a different angle here.

Did you extensively test the stability before enabling XMP? Are you sure it's caused by that, or couldn't it be something else?

Try running MemTest86 without XMP first, see if it passes a few tests. Maybe leave it running overnight.

If that fails, you have bad RAM. If it passes, then we can move on to overclocking.

Try it again with XMP enabled.

If that then fails, we know the OC caused the problem. If it passes, there's some other issue causing the BSOD's.

Thanks for this. It is literally brand new purchased 2 days ago. Didnt ever have an issue (been running it constantly since purchased) until enabling XMP profile. As soon as i done so, 10 minutes into use, it crashed and gave that blue screen with the dump above.

Im hoping this voltage change to 1.35v for dram will fix this? if not i can either do as you suggest or just simply not run XMP.

Due to the high quality parts and being brand new, i highly doubt i have a hardware issue.

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yes, there is a big performance increase

Thank you.

Hopefully this was caused by the XMP and the voltage change to dram solves the problem.

8 hours ago, Liborio said:

Thanks for this. It is literally brand new purchased 2 days ago. Didnt ever have an issue (been running it constantly since purchased) until enabling XMP profile. As soon as i done so, 10 minutes into use, it crashed and gave that blue screen with the dump above.

Im hoping this voltage change to 1.35v for dram will fix this? if not i can either do as you suggest or just simply not run XMP.

Due to the high quality parts and being brand new, i highly doubt i have a hardware issue.

Thanks.

Ah, see I thought you'd bought it, unpacked it, and pretty much immediately after that enabled XMP.

I always test RAM whenever I build/get a new system. It's highly sensitive and is known for being able to have faults when they're brand new. I've yet to run into issues, but I've heard stories, so I just wanna make sure.

Hope it stays stable!

3 hours ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

Ah, see I thought you'd bought it, unpacked it, and pretty much immediately after that enabled XMP.

I always test RAM whenever I build/get a new system. It's highly sensitive and is known for being able to have faults when they're brand new. I've yet to run into issues, but I've heard stories, so I just wanna make sure.

Hope it stays stable!

Thanks for your replies. So yeah i bought it and ran it for 2 days then enabled XMP, immediately had a bluescreen afterwards. Have now adjusted DRAM voltage to 1.35v and left soc as standard 1.1v.

I hope this is why it bluescreened and is now fixed.

Do these symptoms, including the above screenshot from bluescreenview all add up to being RAM you think?

Also, is it possibly by just adjusting that voltage slightly would actually fix it? I should also mention, i updated the bios to the latest version after it bluescreened.

It is possible. With higher frequency comes increased power usage and it might need higher voltages to sustain the frequency at stable levels. Especially since the XMP profile lists 1.35 V I would think that's what they've  designed it for and validated it at.

Incorrectly working RAM can cause all kinds of odd behaviour, mostly random BSoD's.

20 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

It is possible. With higher frequency comes increased power usage and it might need higher voltages to sustain the frequency at stable levels. Especially since the XMP profile lists 1.35 V I would think that's what they've  designed it for and validated it at.

Incorrectly working RAM can cause all kinds of odd behaviour, mostly random BSoD's.

Thats what i found strange though, it didnt change to 1.35V itself when i enabled XMP profile. It was sitting at 1.2V no matter whether XMP was on or off. I changed it to 1.35V myself after looking at some forums.....

So thats why im curious as to why it wouldnt adjust voltage itself if its recommended and required. But i am hoping that is the reason and people are saying it may be but just found it odd the BIOS didnt change it to a higher voltage as i enabled XMP which is why i thought i mightve not been that.

I'm guessing it should have increased the voltage, but didn't because of a bug or something else.

I actually didn't know XMP was supposed to work for AMD systems at all, being an Intel invention and all. I know Asus boards have something called DOCP, which is like a layer between XMP and something the AMD CPU can use.

9 hours ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

I'm guessing it should have increased the voltage, but didn't because of a bug or something else.

I actually didn't know XMP was supposed to work for AMD systems at all, being an Intel invention and all. I know Asus boards have something called DOCP, which is like a layer between XMP and something the AMD CPU can use.

Okay right.

Well, as for the XMP + AMD; its because all of the AMD motherboard makers also make Intel motherboards, so they have access to Intel's proprietary XMP profiles, thus allowing them to enable XMP for AMD hardware too.