Terrible FPS with 2070 super. Do you think I have bottleneck ?

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,
Just now, Nevo said:

Yes is it bad ?

צילום מסך 2020-05-01 ב-6.08.03.png

That is more than bad that is HORRIBLE...

YES this is your issue 100% get a decent kit use PCpartpicker and shop for a 2x8GB kit at 3400mhz or 3600mhz RAM pick a cheap one that has the look you can deal with the brand doesnt matter.

Read in the manual for your motherboard where to put both sticks to get dual channel performance.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=16384002&s=403400,403466,403600,403666&sort=price&page=1

I really need some help with my new setup!

Intel core i5 9600K - with OC to 4.9 Ghz
2070 Super ASUS - with OC enabled
16GB 2400 MHz memory
1TB HHD + 250GB SSD
2K 144hz ASUS display

I jot a custom build computer and Have been getting really bad FPS, FPS drops, Stuttering and high CPU usage.
I play games like GTA, COD MW, PUBG

I am getting substantially lower FPS on these games competed to many many videos on YouTube with my CPU & GPU combination.

I never reach a decent FPS for example
PUBG - Very high - avg 80 FPS
Call of duty MW - avg 70 fps

Tried every thing! Reinstall drivers, reinstall Windows, trying different, even going 1080p and low, 
I monitored the usages of the CPU and it’s between 95-100% and the GPU is ~80%. 

nothing really gets me to good 144 FPS that I can enjoy with my display!
Do you think the videos and reviews I’m seeing are wrong and actually the CPU bottlenecks the GPU ?

16gb @ 2400 might be too low for that build @ 144hz. it might also be enough. its just my only guess hardware wise. other wise, have you tried the gpu in another pc, and or another gpu in your pc to test for hardware issues? also, simple stuff, but sometimes overlooked, is the cables your using rated for 144hz? also, have you made sure refresh is set to 144hz in nvidia control panel?

edit: also, 95-100% CPU usage can indicate a bottleneck. do you have a less cpu intensive game like gta V, or lower, to try and see if it can get 144+ fps? also, is it better with graphics set to max in game? and does v-sync clear up any of the issues, even below 144fps? and what psu are you running?

38 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

16gb @ 2400 might be too low for that build @ 144hz. it might also be enough. its just my only guess hardware wise. other wise, have you tried the gpu in another pc, and or another gpu in your pc to test for hardware issues? also, simple stuff, but sometimes overlooked, is the cables your using rated for 144hz? also, have you made sure refresh is set to 144hz in nvidia control panel?

edit: also, 95-100% CPU usage can indicate a bottleneck. do you have a less cpu intensive game like gta V, or lower, to try and see if it can get 144+ fps? also, is it better with graphics set to max in game? and does v-sync clear up any of the issues, even below 144fps? and what psu are you running?

1. Do you think ram is the issue here? Intel only really supports 2666 so 2400 doesn’t seem too low to me. 
2. I haven’t tried it in another computer myself but took it to a technician and it turned out ok. 
3. yes I’m using DisplayPort with G sync - CS go shows at 144 

if you look at this video and many others, I never get this performance. So what is the deal here?

20 minutes ago, Nevo said:

1. Do you think ram is the issue here? Intel only really supports 2666 so 2400 doesn’t seem too low to me. 

That's without XMP. With XMP, you can go much higher.

i would try to get that ram to boot at higher frequencies...chances are you could get maybe like 2800mhz out of it or something...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Have you run individual benchmarks like cinebench and 3dmark? Or maybe even userbenchmark.

1 minute ago, Craftyawesome said:

Have you run individual benchmarks like cinebench and 3dmark? Or maybe even userbenchmark.

ouch...you won't make many friends around here saying such things these days mate lol 😛

Agree about GPU and CPU benchmarks though...and games benchmarks if OP owns any modern games...PUBG is known to run pretty bad on higher settings even on fairly high end specs...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

ouch...you won't make many friends around here saying such things these days mate lol 😛

I thought it was still mostly fine for comparisons to the same individual parts, just not to others. Hence the "or maybe even".

8 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i would try to get that ram to boot at higher frequencies...chances are you could get maybe like 2800mhz out of it or something...

I couldn’t get the ram to go higher, you think this is the problem? 

2 minutes ago, Nevo said:

whats the brand/model of your ram? you can go in the bios to enable xmp.

9 minutes ago, Nevo said:

mehhh...i doubt it...while it certainly has a measurable impact on your FPS in CPU bound games...like PUBG more than likely...it certaintly wouldn't be ''night and day'' with faster RAM...perhaps a few frames...maybe up to 10 in some instances i'd guess?..

I would suggest you start by running some benchmarks and compare your results? like superposition, 3d mark, unigine heaven or valley etc. and see how those perform?

Do you have games like shadow of the tomb raider or something with built in benchmarking?

Far Cry 5? assassin's creed odyssey? those are some gr8 one where you can find A LOT of benchmarking for them on youtube and easily compare what kinds of FPS a similar GPU to yours would get with like a overclocked i7 or i9 processor...

You only have 6 thread on that CPU too...that won't play nice with some of the more demanding games...and games to come out later i'd guess.

18 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

3Dmark 

Overall 8690

Graphics 9998 (63, 58 FPS)

CPU 4992 (16 FPS)

10 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

whats the brand/model of your ram? you can go in the bios to enable xmp.

I only have one profile on 2400 

hyperX 

this is the only part from my old computer from 3-4 years ago. 
but how much could this affect? 

6 minutes ago, Nevo said:

3Dmark 

Overall 8690

CPU 4992 (16 FPS)

this is what? Timespy?

9 minutes ago, Nevo said:

3Dmark 

Overall 8690

CPU 4992 (16 FPS)

Looks like your GPU score is fine but your CPU score is sub par:

https://www.3dmark.com/newsearch#advanced?test=spy P&cpuId=2404&gpuId=1279&gpuCount=1&deviceType=ALL&memoryChannels=0&country=&scoreType=overallScore&hofMode=false&showInvalidResults=false&freeParams=

Your CPU is overclocked and your RAM is slow, so it seems like faster RAM would be great after all i guess...if all else failed.

41 minutes ago, prototypeArchie said:

That's without XMP. With XMP, you can go much higher.

even if it is only at 2400 ?

10 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

this is what? Timespy?

yes Timespy

Just now, Nevo said:

yes Timespy

i posted a link just above where you can select to compare with similar hardware...

18 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Looks like your GPU score is fine but your CPU score is sub par:

https://www.3dmark.com/newsearch#advanced?test=spy P&cpuId=2404&gpuId=1279&gpuCount=1&deviceType=ALL&memoryChannels=0&country=&scoreType=overallScore&hofMode=false&showInvalidResults=false&freeParams=

Your CPU is overclocked and your RAM is slow, so it seems like faster RAM would be great after all i guess...if all else failed.

wow so you think the ram will solve it ? this is the problem ?

29 minutes ago, Nevo said:

I only have one profile on 2400 

hyperX 

this is the only part from my old computer from 3-4 years ago. 
but how much could this affect? 

could make the difference, what is the model of the ram? depending, you not be able to oc.

edit: never thought to ask, what channel is your ram in?

5 minutes ago, Nevo said:

wow so you think the ram will solve it ? this is the problem ?

looks like it might...here i ran the test on my computer and while we do produce similar GPU performance i have a lot more power behind my CPU

i will disable hyper-threading in my BIOS and post a new score on what is equivalent to a 9600K with 3066mhz RAM (i use 3000mhz sticks that are bumped only to 3066mhz for stability)

image.thumb.png.deda8b84e8008de3e711a1816f939578.png

1 minute ago, Craftyawesome said:

Check without your cpu overclock too? Something might have gone wrong there.

true..disabled HT will run same test BRB