Is a 350w PSU enough?

AreaOfEffect
Go to solution Solved by 3rrant,
5 minutes ago, AreaOfEffect said:

Hi,
So I currently found CEMO L1 case on Banggood and fell in love with it, I love small form factor builds as I just did one in a inwin A1+ just a few months ago. I'm planning on reusing the parts I have which is a Ryzen 3600 and an RTX 2060. So I saw that this case only accpets 1U power supplies which I've seen to be quite more expensive than I'd like to pay. The only one that I am willing to pay in Australia is from Mwave at $129 for a 350w 880+ gold, there's also a 400w one for $200 but I don't think I'd go for that much just yet. So I'm just wondering would 350w be enough to power and run these parts at stock?

CPU and GPU alone when being in high utilization would be over 300W.

Doesn't look good really. 400W is the bare minimum IMO, and would aim for 450W+.

Hi,
So I currently found CEMO L1 case on Banggood and fell in love with it, I love small form factor builds as I just did one in a inwin A1+ just a few months ago. I'm planning on reusing the parts I have which is a Ryzen 3600 and an RTX 2060. So I saw that this case only accpets 1U power supplies which I've seen to be quite more expensive than I'd like to pay. The only one that I am willing to pay in Australia is from Mwave at $129 for a 350w 880+ gold, there's also a 400w one for $200 but I don't think I'd go for that much just yet. So I'm just wondering would 350w be enough to power and run these parts at stock?

5 minutes ago, AreaOfEffect said:

Hi,

Doesn't look good really. 400W is the bare minimum IMO, and would aim for 450W+.

2 minutes ago, 3rrant said:

Damn, thanks for the fast reply. I'll probably look elsewhere for Mini Itx cases that support ATX PSU. I'll save that for a future build if 1U gets any cheaper.

While I don't think the CPU and GPU alone would consume over 300W at full load as @3rrant said (3600 will probably consume ~80W on a bad day, 2060 about 160-175W, at stock speeds ofc), I do agree that it'd be too close, especially when taking into account potential aging/degradation of the PSU too, so I wouldn't do it personally. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

17 minutes ago, AreaOfEffect said:

Damn, thanks for the fast reply. I'll probably look elsewhere for Mini Itx cases that support ATX PSU. I'll save that for a future build if 1U gets any cheaper.

Some ITS cases support SFL PSU's and they're not too expensive. You can probably get away with that 350w PSU tbh as long as you don't do any OC.

13 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

While I don't think the CPU and GPU alone would consume over 300W at full load as @3rrant said (3600 will probably consume ~80W on a bad day, 2060 about 160-175W, at stock speeds ofc), I do agree that it'd be too close, especially when taking into account potential aging/degradation of the PSU too, so I wouldn't do it personally. 

Without considering anything else:

CPU at 80W stock at 100%

GPU at 165W+ stock at 100%, if not custom design (which probably is and will then consume more)

System: 245W (82% of PSU limit)

This is considering perfect conditions and zero overclocking ever (GPU is self-overclocking as long as it can cool itself).

Still need to add chipset, fan, rgb if any, storage, ram, cooler and peripherals which for as low as they can be they will push you to 90%-100% of your PSU limit.