Should I use this ssd as my fulltime storage?

Devvytm

I have a 4TB Western Digital Sata ssd. Should I put windows on it when creating my pc or should I get a m.2 ssd (like a 128gb or 240gb) and use it for the OS instead? 

4 minutes ago, Devvytm said:

I have a 4TB Western Digital Sata ssd. Should I put windows on it when creating my pc or should I get a m.2 ssd (like a 128gb or 240gb) and use it for the OS instead? 

There isn't too much of a difference between pcie-gen 3 nvmes and sata ssds, but It will be there. Either will work, but if you want a slightly faster boot time/acess to important data, and have the money to afford it, you do you.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

The M.2 could be sata too. The current ssd is not going to be using that slot. Also, I have a 120gb nvme drive elsewhere and could use it. Just want to know if having windows on a separate ssd would make any difference. Given the fact that the current main drive is an ssd. 

Having OS on separate drive really mattered more with HDDs though. You can either create OS partition from 4TB one or use the NVMe one for OS if you don't have use of it in another machine. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

And why shouldn't you? I run everything from my 2TB SSD and it works great. Although I suggest you partition it with OS and some apps on boot partition and the rest on secondary partition. It makes reinstallation of Windows fully clean much easier than having to copy all data from SSD somewhere else, format, reinstall Windows and copy it back. Or rolling it over in a dirty way. It just makes things easier. Been using such system basically for 20 years and it's just the most efficient way. Not sure if it would make anything better if you have a separate SSD for OS. Unless you have money to piss away, then new drive can act as own partition so you don't have to do partitioning as I suggested. Other than that, you won't really see any differences.