Do RX 5X00 drivers still suck?

aisle9

I ask because I'm faced with a conundrum on my new SFF build: my GTX 1070 Gaming X is big enough that it's going to be a headache for a lot of cases. I can either buy a bigger case than I want, or replace the card (which I was going to do sooner or later anyway). The 2070 Super would be my preference, mostly because it has the Zotac Mini and the RX family doesn't, but that's a $100 premium for 5-7% more performance across all resolutions. I'm totally down with an RX 5700 XT, but before I pull any triggers...do the cards still have random crashing issues and terrible driver problems? Or has that kind of sorted itself out to where they're plug and play?

For the record, the MSI RX 5700 Mech OC is the one that's caught my eye. It looks pretty compact, and I like that.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

The drives have been reported as fixed for a few months but a few lingering cases pop up now and again. RX 5700Xt makes the most sense but might be worth the wait for new GPU launches that are fast approaching. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, thorinthemornin said:

Why the rush? A 1070 can easily tide you over until the new GPU's 

I have a shiny new ITX motherboard, and for the small form factor cases I'm interested in, the 1070 is really pushing it as far as size goes. In terms of performance, it's holding up fine for everything except cranking Skyrim up to 4K with custom textures and effects loaded.

Well do not get the MSI Mech. It runs loud and hot. Recommended RX5700 XT cards are:

Sapphire Pulse (compact) and Nitro+ (large)

Power Color Red Dragon (compact) and Red Devil (large)

MSI Gaming X (large)

Gigabyte Gaming OC (large)

Most of the other cards have their downsides., so I strongy recommend going with one of the mentioned models. Refer also to the more detailed single model reviews Steve from Hardware Unboxed has done. If you need it compact - the Power Color Red Dragon might be the one for you. It runs relatively cool, has zero fan mode (which the Mech doesn't have) and is relatively quiet (the Mech is loud as a vacuum cleaner).

The drivers are acually mostly working as intented. 20.4.2 seems to be pretty good so far as well as its predecessor. The 5700XT is in RTX 2070 teritory falling about 8% short of the 2070 super for a lower price - a no brainer if you ask me. Run a 5700 non xt myself and I am pretty pleased with it. Just take care that you use quality monitor cables as Navi seems to be sensitive here. Navi hast DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0b. Make sure you use cable meeting those standards otherwise there could be blackscreen issues while using Freesync.

Greetings from good old Germany!

On 4/29/2020 at 5:21 PM, Miccellomann said:

Well do not get the MSI Mech. It runs loud and hot. Recommended RX5700 XT cards are:

Sapphire Pulse (compact) and Nitro+ (large)

Power Color Red Dragon (compact) and Red Devil (large)

MSI Gaming X (large)

Gigabyte Gaming OC (large)

Most of the other cards have their downsides., so I strongy recommend going with one of the mentioned models. Refer also to the more detailed single model reviews Steve from Hardware Unboxed has done. If you need it compact - the Power Color Red Dragon might be the one for you. It runs relatively cool, has zero fan mode (which the Mech doesn't have) and is relatively quiet (the Mech is loud as a vacuum cleaner).

The drivers are acually mostly working as intented. 20.4.2 seems to be pretty good so far as well as its predecessor. The 5700XT is in RTX 2070 teritory falling about 8% short of the 2070 super for a lower price - a no brainer if you ask me. Run a 5700 non xt myself and I am pretty pleased with it. Just take care that you use quality monitor cables as Navi seems to be sensitive here. Navi hast DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0b. Make sure you use cable meeting those standards otherwise there could be blackscreen issues while using Freesync.

Greetings from good old Germany!

Necro'ing the topic a bit: any thoughts on this guy? Not a Red Devil or Red Dragon, just a base PowerColor card.

https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-axrx-5700xt-8gbd6-3dh/p/N82E16814131753

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Necro'ing the topic a bit: any thoughts on this guy? Not a Red Devil or Red Dragon, just a base PowerColor card.

https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-axrx-5700xt-8gbd6-3dh/p/N82E16814131753

This thing is HUUGE I thought you were upgrading for a small form factor build? If this fit, then your 1070 certainly fit?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

This thing is HUUGE I thought you were upgrading for a small form factor build? If this fit, then your 1070 certainly fit?

Huge? It's dual-slot, reference-wide. That's about the smallest 5700 XT I've found, and smaller than almost all of the non-blower 2070 Supers out there.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Huge? It's dual-slot, reference-wide. That's about the smallest 5700 XT I've found, and smaller than almost all of the non-blower 2070 Supers out there.

Ok I think you posted the wrong link? Cause you posted a triple slot card with 3 fans she's about a foot and a half long and a foot wide lol 😛

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Ok I think you posted the wrong link? Cause you posted a triple slot card with 3 fans she's about a foot and a half long and a foot wide lol 😛

That's what she said.

Wait, she better not have said that...

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

That's what she said.

Wait, she better not have said that...

Yeah no that's a monstrous card she's a triple slotter this is a BIG as it gets bro make sure you check the dimensions in this bad boy....this is MUCH bigger than your gaming x....check just the thickness...you love em thiick boy!!

14-131-752-V11.jpg

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Yeah no that's a monstrous card she's a triple slotter this is a BIG as it gets bro make sure you check the dimensions in this bad boy....this is MUCH bigger than your gaming x....check just the thickness...you love em thiick boy!!

Dammit what the hell? This is the card I'm trying to link to, $380:

https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1565842787

I have an RX 5700 XT Phantom Gaming D. I still get black screens from time to time. I want to like the card but wish I had just spent another 100 for a 2070 super. It is a shame as the card is great for 90 percent of the time.

29 minutes ago, viking_power said:

I have an RX 5700 XT Phantom Gaming D. I still get black screens from time to time. I want to like the card but wish I had just spent another 100 for a 2070 super. It is a shame as the card is great for 90 percent of the time.

I was afraid of that. At this rate, I might just get a bigger case than I'd like, get a case that maybe wasn't my first choice going in, or just wait until the new NVIDIA cards come out and see what the $500 price point has to offer.

Or I could just go to Best Buy and get the $500 reference 2070 Super. The only one at a Best Buy in the entire massive metropolitan area I call home.

26 minutes ago, viking_power said:

What cases were you looking at?

Silverstone ML08, any of the Silverstone Raven cases, Node 202, Cougar QBX (my favorite if I can find it in stock at Newegg or Walmart), Raijintek Ophion or Metis. Something like the DAN M1 would be great, but I don't have $200 lying around for a case, hence my preference for the QBX. I like the Geeek cases as well, but have a few issues with storage capacity. Technically, the 1070 Gaming X will fit in a lot of those cases, but it would be a tight squeeze.

I've also got a Thermaltake Core V1 that I love and would use as a temporary fix in a heartbeat, but the 1070 is a hair too wide and the PSU connectors are placed directly beneath the frame, making it impossible to connect the cables to them. The GPU thing originally came about with me thinking, "well, if I'm going to upgrade my GPU anyway, maybe get that now in a smaller form factor so I have lots of flexibility in case choice later".

Edit: and the oddball choice. Unfortunately, it's far too narrow and far too hot in there. I love sleeper builds, and having that sitting on my desk only to bust out 4K gaming would be wonderful.