Gaming over 2,4 GHZ Wifi

BlackMamba256

Hello,

Linus said in one Video that if we play Games on Wifi we should use the 5GHZ Band because of the Ping. I also remember something that he said it could be that there are up to 20ms from the PCI Card to the Router alone. Yesterday I bought myself a PCI Card because I had to change my PC from Lan to Wifi because I had to move in another room. On the router is Band Steering active and we dont really wanna change that. Now I checked in the box in the Windows settings that It prefers my Card to connect to 5Ghz but It is not always doing that. But I really cant see any difference connected to 2,4 or 5 GHZ on my PC. Both have about 88mbit down speeds and a Ping of about 22-24. (I ping 1.1.1.1 with a cmd command). There are not that many Wifi connections around here. So is this really a thing? Or do I just not understand? Thank you for your answers :) (this is my first one here)

If there are no other WiFi networks (or anything else) in range broadcasting on the same channel you are using at the same time, then sure it will be fine.  But the point is that 2.4Ghz is used for so much and has such a long range that most people do not have that luxury.

If it works fine for you, don't worry about it.

As for band steering, not surprised it doesn't always work, its pretty much a hack in most implementations.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 hours ago, BlackMamba256 said:

Hello,

Linus said in one Video that if we play Games on Wifi we should use the 5GHZ Band because of the Ping. I also remember something that he said it could be that there are up to 20ms from the PCI Card to the Router alone. Yesterday I bought myself a PCI Card because I had to change my PC from Lan to Wifi because I had to move in another room. On the router is Band Steering active and we dont really wanna change that. Now I checked in the box in the Windows settings that It prefers my Card to connect to 5Ghz but It is not always doing that. But I really cant see any difference connected to 2,4 or 5 GHZ on my PC. Both have about 88mbit down speeds and a Ping of about 22-24. (I ping 1.1.1.1 with a cmd command). There are not that many Wifi connections around here. So is this really a thing? Or do I just not understand? Thank you for your answers :) (this is my first one here)

That’s fine, then. While WiFi isn’t the best for online FPS games and others that depend on minimum response time, it is OK if you have minimal interference and games that don’t need a quick response time.

The 5GHz band has a potential maximum speed that exceeds that of 2.4GHz. Of course, that is under ideal conditions.

Most of the concern is interference, the ISM (2.4 GHz) band only has three non-overlapping channels.  If you have wifi neighbors then it gets congested quick.  The UNII bands (5 GHz) have a lot more space for 20/40 MHz channels do you can have a more dense environment without being interfered with.  There's also other non-wifi devices that contribute to interference in the 2.4GHz band.

5 GHz usually offers higher transfer rates, if there's no other wifi traffic around you, you probably won't notice a latency difference, although the throughput at 'normal' RSSI signal strength values will be higher on the 5 GHz band.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C