Which Screen to Choose (wuxga, wxga, wsga++, etc.)

kb5zue

I am in the middle of having to replace the screen on my laptop/notebook computer and I'm having difficulty understanding the different screen types and I want to make sure that I get the best bang for the buck.  My machine is an Acer Aspire 7741G-6426 and the screen is an LP173WD1 Glossy.

The problem comes in when reading the descriptions, there are WUXGA, WXGA, WXGA++, HD, HD+, HD Matte, HD Glossy.

Of course I want the 1600x600, but then my confusion comes in when trying to understand the other stuff as mentioned in the above statement.  I did some google searching but still didn't understand the difference between all of them.  IMHO, I think the glossy is far better looking than the matte but what about the other stuff?  Can someone with more knowledge and understanding of the above please help me out?  Many thanks to all that reply.

Edited by kb5zue
grammatical errors

WUXGA, WXGA, WXGA++, HD, HD+ are all resolutions. ignore this if you're more familiar with pixel count. 

you shouldn't have that many screen options. most laptops only have one or two screen part numbers. you should do a direct replacement of your screen part number. 

do you have a link to the page you see all of this info on?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

8 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

WUXGA, WXGA, WXGA++, HD, HD+ are all resolutions. ignore this if you're more familiar with pixel count. 

you shouldn't have that many screen options. most laptops only have one or two screen part numbers. you should do a direct replacement of your screen part number. 

do you have a link to the page you see all of this info on?

Here is the page with the things I was talking about.  I know what 1600x900 is, but just not up-to-snuff with all that other information.  Since my son sat in my machine, he gets to pay for it out of his "virus" money.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=LP173WD1(TL)(A1)&rh=p_85%3A2470955011&dc&qid=1588138368&rnid=2470954011&ref=sr_nr_p_85_1

WXGA++ is just 1600x900

XGA, WXGA, WXGA+ are all just resolutions. 

i'd pick that amazon recommendation after you read the reviews or the first one by bightfocal.

his virus money? you mean the american stimulus checks?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

3 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

WXGA++ is just 1600x900

XGA, WXGA, WXGA+ are all just resolutions. 

i'd pick that amazon recommendation after you read the reviews or the first one buy bightfocal.

his virus money? you mean the american stimulus checks?

yes.

Thanks to all, I think I have it figured out which one to get.  Just got to keep an eye on the (TL)(A1) thing.  Will order it in the morning along with a new keyboard for my desktop machine.